Do You Have a Dashcam?

Would love some ideas on placement and brands of Dashcams.

Where's it placed and how do you have it wired up?

What brand is your cam?

What do you like and what do you hate about it?

Pictures are always greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

blackvue 900S-2CH 4K UHD Cloud and wifi,  great quality images and the cloud function is excellent, i have mine set to pick up bt fon so any bt hotspot. i have geofenced the car with it and if its moved it sends a text and you can folow it on google maps if someone decides to take it for a spin. you can even shout at them inside the car from  the app.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 2

DDPai mini 2. It is wired to be always on and captures a timelapse when parked. It has supercapacitor rather than Li battery, because my previous dashcam would throw up SD card errors due to it needs to rely on (now dead) battery to properly shutdown.

It is very small and no buttons, it can be easily hidden behind rear mirror. There is a separate button you can stick on your dash, and press to capture previous 10s footage plus photo. It then auto-transfers to your phone via WiFi.

What don't I like about it? Sometimes when stop-start motor restarts the engine, it would make a sound because voltage dropped below threshold and it began its shutdown process, followed by start-up sound. The sound can be turned off, but it also turns off the button press capture sound.

I have a Snooper DVR HD1, nice & compact so is hidden up behind the rear view mirror, can either by hardwired in or used with cigar lighter plug (both supplied)

The big plus side for me on this is there is no pointless screen.

I have a Yi mirror cam.  Sits on the rear view mirror and is a mirror itself with a screen for the cam in the center.  The screen goes off after 1 min so you are not distracted and the mirror itself is huge compared to the stock one.  Just about fits between the sun visors.  Only had it a week so no requirement to test the footage yet. Might do it when I get home to see how it looks.  I got a cig plug extender at the same time that has a hardware power button on top.  The box on the end of the extension has a number of usb and cig sockets so stuffed it onto the cubby in front of the gear stick and ran the cable round the windscreen - a pillar - under steering column.  Works well so far just need to remember to turn it on/off as not yet got round to making the socket switch with ignition.

I have a NextBase 412GW. 

Hardwired in with an official NextBase kit to a permanent live in the fuse box.

Camera is placed just to the left of the rear view mirror.

The screen is set to turn off after 60 seconds of use.

Picture quality is superb, can't fault it.

The only problem I've encountered is updating the firmware.  It's not a very user friendly process.

Bundled software is good. To view videos in highest quality needs a relatively new computer. My laptop is about 8yo now and struggles a little.

• Like 1

These are all looking pretty good! 

I'm leaning toward the Blackvue DR750S single channel, for the purpose of 60fps.

When people are hard wiring, which fuse is good for engine run that the start stop function won't play around with?

10 hours ago, BlueclouduK said:

I have a NextBase 412GW. 

The only problem I've encountered is updating the firmware.  It's not a very user friendly process.

Bundled software is good. To view videos in highest quality needs a relatively new computer. My laptop is about 8yo now and struggles a little.

I have the 512GW, got it from Argos with some discounted vouchers.

Similar install, also need Fuse information, it’s all cabled in as far as the glove box but not connected so have Cigar Lighter running under Drivers floormat, up the A pillar under the parking ticket clip and over the sun visor.

I have the Blackvuew 750s Duo (front and rear cameras) reason being is it fits behind the rear view mirror and cant see it whilst driving. 

Its hard wired in with the parking mode active so when there's movement in front of the camera it starts recording. 

Has many options available to it. Have a look.

I just got a cheap £30 Old Shark cam from Amazon with a 32gb SD card. Decent quality and has worked fine for the last year. It is mounted to the left of the rear view mirror and i just push the cable into the headliner trim, down the pillar under the glovebox, behind the trim of the gearbox tunnel and into the power point with a USB adapter. I am happy enough for the camera to record all the time. The USB adapter I got has a volt meter so I can make sure it isn't running the car battery down. I only unplug it when away from home for long holidays when it might run the battery down.

On 24/07/2018 at 08:07, Stuart-h said:

I’ve got a roadhawk hd2 

good qualtiy 

Except at night when it's abysmal. Binned mine.

Better one's are available for less money. Also the company is a little bit "bent" when it comes to negative reviews of its products in that they get deleted or if you leave one on an independent site, you get snotty messages from them telling you to remove or alter it. :finger:

21 hours ago, BlueclouduK said:

I have a NextBase 412GW. 

+1 - NextBase 412GW. Got it fitted by local Halfords as I had neither the time nor patience (and fat fingers...) :) Can't fault it either.

Placement: Centre-left of rear-view mirror (below 'dotted shade' patch) - forward facing w/ bias towards Driver's side.

Setup: Screen on for 60 seconds, 1080p, 60fps; 3 minute intervals, sound ON, G-meter (off / low)

Wiring: Fuse w/ power on upon ignition; off after 60 seconds of ignition off.

Literally using it this evening as other half got knocked into by an uncaring granny :wondering: (luckily zero damage) - but all on cam including post-'donk' convo. (Ignition left on during this time... 'atta girl ;) )

Can't recommend dashcams enough.

21 hours ago, Felvo said:

These are all looking pretty good! 

I'm leaning toward the Blackvue DR750S single channel, for the purpose of 60fps.

When people are hard wiring, which fuse is good for engine run that the start stop function won't play around with?

you can buy the power magic pro to run with the 750 so its on in parking mode but deactivates when the battery hits either 12 or 12.5V, means you can check the cameras 'live' in work, at home or when the cam has a wifi signal to connect to. it also has a proximity movement record where it will upload any event to the cloud when parked.

Edited by JohnnyType2

Mine's very basic compared with most here. Mobius C which was cheap and cheerful a few years ago, but decent enough quality and tiny. Fitted on the passenger side with an adhesive mount on the black dots at the top of the windscreen.

2 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

you can buy the power magic pro to run with the 750 so its on in parking mode but deactivates when the battery hits either 12 or 12.5V, means you can check the cameras 'live' in work, at home or when the cam has a wifi signal to connect to. it also has a proximity movement record where it will upload any event to the cloud when parked.

I had a power magic pro connected up to my old dashcam in my previous polo, it would religiously, no matter what setting, send my battery flat. Not to mention the parking mode function was unreliable, the camera was hard to wake always recording in the most unneeded times... That would be a camera thing.. That was an iTronics ITB100.

As I haven't fitted my dashcam yet (still waiting for the car :biggrin:) has anyone had any issues with the dashcam placement when it comes to MOT time?

I'd want to put it at the very top of the area swept by the wipers so it has a clear view.

Ta

39 minutes ago, Cakemonster said:

As I haven't fitted my dashcam yet (still waiting for the car :biggrin:) has anyone had any issues with the dashcam placement when it comes to MOT time?

I'd want to put it at the very top of the area swept by the wipers so it has a clear view.

Ta

Mine sailed through an MOT, with it behind the rear view mirror, as you can't see it whilst driving.

• Thanks 1

I have a NEXTBASE 412 as well, I had just parked up in layby with a tipper truck in front, about 2m away. My dash cam goes off after a little while which it had at this time. Tipper truck decided to reverse back, I pushed horn which as ignition is off it did not work.Bang !,new bonnet wings lights rad and others.He did say sorry.

*******s to all this ****base stuff that is probably more expensive due to their extensive number of annoying and condescending adverts on dave you are paying for when you buy the unit/

Nah just a cheap sub £30 one on offer at amazon, Yi! I think it was its not even properly hooked in but just via usb port which powers on boot is perfect, and I've hidden the wires as best temporarily which considering the effort I went to, is quite surpisingly good lol

Very well reviewed on Amazon.
Back up to £40 but often fluctuates. Cheap enough to buy 1 each for all your cars if like me you have more than one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G

• Like 1

On 24/07/2018 at 16:24, MarkyG82 said:

I have a Yi mirror cam.  Sits on the rear view mirror and is a mirror itself with a screen for the cam in the center.  The screen goes off after 1 min so you are not distracted and the mirror itself is huge compared to the stock one.  Just about fits between the sun visors.  Only had it a week so no requirement to test the footage yet. Might do it when I get home to see how it looks.  I got a cig plug extender at the same time that has a hardware power button on top.  The box on the end of the extension has a number of usb and cig sockets so stuffed it onto the cubby in front of the gear stick and ran the cable round the windscreen - a pillar - under steering column.  Works well so far just need to remember to turn it on/off as not yet got round to making the socket switch with ignition.

Erm do you use your usb connector on entertainment :D that is live only when starting the car....sorry but kind of obvious, people go to great lengths to do these hardwire kits, but I found that does the trick for my very pikey "quick setup" but as I run more than one car I just lose the interest in all this fluffing about with stuff, just get it in and working.

If you have a USB connection already there is only reason I can think you would not use this, and the fact its a bit prominent, but honestly its not that really unless you are total analist about looking round from passenger position " I can see a wire ! I can see a wire !" lol, otherwise its a non-issue

• Like 1