I am having this issue with my car first happened 2 weeks ago and not an issue until this morning.been out in it this afternoon and no issues at all. Is it still save to drive. Skoda want £105 for diagnostics and £529 if it water pump cambelt change as well, but say they might not let me take the car home

Mileage 62000, 2.0 tdi 15 plate

On my first Octavia 3 ( 2013 MY14 / 2.0TDI M6 / Elegance+Sport ) I had this problem after 103000 km (ca 64000miles) ... repair cost ca.350€ in 2016, car was from Czech dealer with full service history (Skoda reference car, Buyed in 2014 as 10 month old with 27500km)

On current car no problem (so far) - Octavia 3 Hatch (2016 MY2017) vRS TDI 4x4  - ca.64000km

15 hours ago, Kathys said:

I am having this issue with my car first happened 2 weeks ago and not an issue until this morning.been out in it this afternoon and no issues at all. Is it still save to drive. Skoda want £105 for diagnostics and £529 if it water pump cambelt change as well, but say they might not let me take the car home

Mileage 62000, 2.0 tdi 15 plate

It seems to vary - mine was fine for a few hundred miles while I waited for a slot at the garage (turning up the heater in the cabin if the temp started to rise).

For other people it's just let go and emptied coolant all over the road.

I just went for cam belt and water pump change a few weeks ago. This was scheduled maintenance. The dealer originally wanted to charge me nearly £600 but I referenced the prices being quoted here and he dropped it to £450. I also found on the Skoda website that the standard charge was £499.

On 13/08/2019 at 08:57, Kathys said:

Ive got it booked in for friday so hopefully it will last until then 

I've had new waterpump and cambelt fitted and temperature is now OK

However i am having issues with coolant level dropping and pressurising in the coolant tank after a journey. Should it be pressurized? Could it just be air in the system after work carried out. There is no visible leaks and garage can't find the issue

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:15, Kathys said:

I've had new waterpump and cambelt fitted and temperature is now OK

However i am having issues with coolant level dropping and pressurising in the coolant tank after a journey. Should it be pressurized? Could it just be air in the system after work carried out. There is no visible leaks and garage can't find the issue

After having my water pump changed, after it failed, I got a low coolant level warning almost immediately after.

The garage topped up the coolant, and haven't had a problem with coolant since.

Ok so just need to sense check something...

Got a 64 plate Oct Mk3 1.6l and over the last few months at random times, the coolant temp would suddenly rise to 130’c and then drop back down to 90’c and not do it again for weeks. Following it doing it two in a week on holiday - agin no pattern - found this thread and arranged for my trusted local garage to change out the water pump (electric one) with a genuine VAG replacement which was done last week. Since then it has done it again, twice which has left me a tad confused. After it happened, I checked for error messages using a hobbyist ODB2 reader and couldn’t find any.

So on the basis that the replacement pump wasn’t faulty the only reasons I can think of are as follows:

1. The garage didn’t change the water pump 

2. A temperature sensor is faulty and is throwing random errors exactly the same as the pump 

3. They changed the wrong water pump

I’d like to discount the first one as have been using them for years and the owner is a family friend. Seems quite random that a temperature sensor has gone bad and I know that they changed the electric pump. The only other thing to add into the mix is that they did it without needing to change the belt which I’m not sure is correct. I appreciate that a lot of people do this at the same time and frankly I should have requested this but I don’t know enough about this engine design to comment one way or another.

I’m going to call the garage to discuss today but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

vRS DSG 184

Went at about 45-46K

At the time, my dealer (Station Garage, Broadbridge Heath) hadn't heard of the issue but by the time I dropped it off, they had two more bookings for the same thing.

Can't remember the exact price as while they did it, they did a small service / MOT too and replaced the cam belt. Certainly a 'Goodwill' reduction in cost was given.

Car has full Skoda service history with the same dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Skoda owners. 

I am having some issues with loosing antifreeze and it's discoloration. Skoda garage has cleaned and changed coolant two times. Every time a day or so after coolant is no longer red but rather brownish with colorless film on the surface. Smells like exhaust  fumes to me. And today I looked at the engine while running and weird sound can be heard. I recorded a video which can be seen in YouTube https://youtu.be/7QG139VI0gc

I am also attaching images of collar from today, 2 days after it was changed and cleaned thoroughly.

Those with some experience about failing pump sound, would that be the sound of what I recorded?

Thank you in advance 

9AD88CC0-F076-410C-A8BE-C49213A13D22.jpeg

6895ECE1-035F-4496-A6F8-A3527392669A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Had mine done yesterday 2015 vrs tdi cupa 36kmiles. Been keeping an eye on my temp gauge while waiting for it to go in to be done. It has gone just over 90 a few times but I got it back down by using the heater on full. So never got any warnings and it only just moved over 90. Booked it in online £529 fixed price took it yesterday tried charging me £569 told them no it was £529 bit of questioning and he crossed it out and changed it to £529. Told me they have never heard any issue's or had a car in with waterpump problems. Laughed at me and said how does a waterpump stick closed and not work when I mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2015 2l tdi Octavia from new with coolant issues ( kept dropping it) several water pumps, inlet manifold and aux coolant pumps later along with lots of moaning and  visits to 4 skoda/vw garages, vw uk and Germany got involved and the issue was found to be a porous head once changed the car was fine until it was written off whilst stationary by which time it had covered 80000 miles with no issues. 

• Year of registration 2014

• Engine 2.0 tdi

• Mileage when fault occurred

• Dealer name & response (i.e. "don't want to know"/"yep, they all do that"/other)

Car Deal Warehouse (Lexus Glasgow) Initially didn’t want to know could find no fault but sent them link to this forum and also video of temp gauge shooting up at 70 mph on motorway.

• Warranty or goodwill contribution?

Fixed under warranty as only purchased car from them three weeks ago.

• Any other info. (Full Skoda servicehistory/independent?)
  • Full Skoda main dealer service history 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Year of registration

• Engine

2.0 tdi cr vrs

• Dealer name & response (i.e. "don't want to know"/"yep, they all do that"/other)

Sinclair Skoda want £90 to diagnose the fault, Skoda UK are quoting Procedure to try and fob me off.

None offered unless diagnosed by Skoda authorised sealer.

• Any other info. (Full Skoda service history/independent?)

Full Skoda history, 6 weeks outside of warranty.

Has anyone been refused goodwill and taken court action?

• Year of registration

• Engine

2.0 tdi cr dsg vrs

Free Spirit automotive, I had just bought the car in august this year and only had it 2 weeks before it started overheating.

dealer said they'll send it off to their vag guy round the corner. got the car back 3 days later.

Cambelt and water pump all covered by warranty

• Any other info. (Full Skoda service history/independent?)

Full main dealer history.

I had my pump replaced "under warranty" on my 2014 when it was just over 3yrs/60kmiles.   Twice in the last couple of weeks the overheat has come back.

The first instance was after a hill climb shortly after setting off from cold (overnight), so the normal conditions - a few flats miles and then a quick hill climb and it can't release faster enough.

The second was a 2 days ago.  15 minutes into a trip, started from cold (been parked up all day), about 3 miles to the motorway (at about 30-40mph), and then onto the motorway with a nice steady cruise at 70.  Overheat pinged up,  I pulled over onto the hardshoulder and watched the gauge drop from 130 to 90 in steps (probably over about 60-90seconds) and then it remained happy for the rest of the trip.  As I had my cambelt replaced last time, I guess that means it is next due at about 60+120 = 180k miles (just hit 110k).

Had the symptoms of rapid temp gain/fall on my 2015 2.0tdi Octavia estate for the first time about a month ago, repeated several times over the next few weeks so bit the bullet and booked it into main dealer today - they confirmed the pump was duff so replaced it and the cambelt. Mileage currently 89k. They didn’t charge me for the diagnostic but paid full price (529) for pump and belt change. Bought car a year ago from an independent dealer so no warranty.

On 27/07/2018 at 06:17, pist0nbr0ke said:

• Year of registration - 2016
  • Engine - 2.0
  • Mileage when fault occurred - 58000
  • Dealer name & response (i.e. "don't want to know"/"yep, they all do that"/other) Motorline Skoda Dartford, it needs fixing...
  • Warranty or goodwill contribution? ha ha ha, 2 months out of 3 year warranty
  • Any other info. (Full Skoda service history/independent?) Full skoda history (NEVER missed)

Discount only offered because they claim the original price quoted was "an estimate" and it came to more because mine had "the most expensive" type of pump... 😳

Interestingly... mine appears to be an auxillary pump rather than the main one, looks like I may have that to look forward to??

2019-11-19 21.35.10.jpg

Edited by bigjim73