• 2 weeks later...

Have a 2017 vRS TDI, currently at 104,500km, which has shown a few 'stuck waterpump' error codes on OBD Eleven.  Should I be concerned about waterpump failure?

• 2 weeks later...

60k ish miles, early 2017 (66)  vrs tdi overheated on me for the first time, dial to 130 and a beep/warning. Fluids and levels all correct.

Dealer booked me in under extended warranty stating parts would be ordered in anticipation. 

Will update when I have more to tell.

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2021 at 23:53, Powerred said:

60k ish miles, early 2017 (66)  vrs tdi overheated on me for the first time, dial to 130 and a beep/warning. Fluids and levels all correct.

Dealer booked me in under extended warranty stating parts would be ordered in anticipation. 

Will update when I have more to tell.

DM Keith Skoda Bradford were fantastic. Car was ready same day and all covered under extended warranty no problem. Even offered to do cambelt kit as the labour for water pump covered it and saved me £100s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Year of registration

2013 Skoda Octavia Elegance

• Engine

1.6 tdi

• Mileage when fault occurred

108000 miles (38000 / 2yrs 3m since last pump/belt change)

Diagnosed as pump failure of new version!

• Dealer name & response (i.e. "don't want to know"/"yep, they all do that"/other)

Bristol Street Motors SKODA Darlington

• Warranty or goodwill contribution?

Zero

• Any other info. (Full Skoda service history/independent?)

Cam Belt & Water Pump changed at 70000 miles pre purchase as an approved car from this dealership. 

Full service history from same dealer throughout life. 

Have old parts in hand to have checked.

Started route of The Motor Osbundsman, as this is a complete and utter joke

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, First time poster so please don't rip me a new one. I have a 2.0 TDI 150 octavial 3. I get every service from main dealer. had service on Friday last and told my coolant was murky and needed timing belt done and coolant flush. €550 for timing kit and €450 for flush.  so history is 135K KM (90Kmiles) for 2018 2.0 TDI. During my monthly checks i found coolant low, below min level. i added antifreeze (ok ok, i know i should have added coolant) and it was green as opposed to the pink coolant. Car internal heater not heating very well the last few weeks (probable since i added antifreeze) now dealer saying i need the lot. I know there is water pump issues which explains coolant level low. What is the exact schedule for timing belt change. i suspect 150K Km and would be due next service anyway. next question is should i flush coolant my self and save €450. I would be component enough to do this. i could do it again after timing belt done.  What would you do. I absolutely love my car, and would only change it for the black superb estate sport-line with black kit that the local dealer has in showroom, if i can find €20K under a rock.

• 4 weeks later...

2014 Octavia 2.0 TDI

Pump started sticking last month and did a little bit of research before i did a timing belt replacement in a non heated garage at -10 C. Found out the problem was the shroud covering the pump and that it is retracted via springs so i just disconnected the connector for the pump which is thankfully very accesible and had no problems since, just takes longer to heat up. I didn't find anyone telling this solution(also didn't read all 10 pages so might even be in this thread) but might be helpfull to someone mby.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2021 at 00:17, Spud99 said:

Hi all, First time poster so please don't rip me a new one. I have a 2.0 TDI 150 octavial 3. I get every service from main dealer. had service on Friday last and told my coolant was murky and needed timing belt done and coolant flush. €550 for timing kit and €450 for flush.  so history is 135K KM (90Kmiles) for 2018 2.0 TDI. During my monthly checks i found coolant low, below min level. i added antifreeze (ok ok, i know i should have added coolant) and it was green as opposed to the pink coolant. Car internal heater not heating very well the last few weeks (probable since i added antifreeze) now dealer saying i need the lot. I know there is water pump issues which explains coolant level low. What is the exact schedule for timing belt change. i suspect 150K Km and would be due next service anyway. next question is should i flush coolant my self and save €450. I would be component enough to do this. i could do it again after timing belt done.  What would you do. I absolutely love my car, and would only change it for the black superb estate sport-line with black kit that the local dealer has in showroom, if i can find €20K under a rock.

If the heater isn't working properly, I wonder if this is a seperate issue -  the silica bag in the coolant tank bursting and blocking the heater matrix. Search on here, common issue as well I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

I only looked at the first few posts on this topic when I purchased my Octavia, and found out when mine needed to be done.

So this might have been said already, its funny the silica bag was mentioned in the previous post.

Anyway, had the Cambelt  etc done today, when they gave me back the car, the mechanic said, "I've removed the silica bag, so you won't have any trouble further down the line". Is that going the extra mile, or is that normal ? I thought he'd gone the extra mile, and clever thinking. 

On 10/01/2022 at 21:37, NZ100 said:

…the mechanic said, "I've removed the silica bag, so you won't have any trouble further down the line". Is that going the extra mile, or is that normal ? I thought he'd gone the extra mile, and clever thinking. 

Since the car was for a cambelt service, he did the right thing - the silica bag usually bursts on/after the 5th year.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Water pump failed at 116000 miles. Charge for pump and cambelt replacement at my local - £781.20.

Not too bad for a car that ran most of the miles on the motorway.

BTW, 2.0 TDI VRS Combi 63 reg.

Edited by tanneman

Over the last few weeks my temp gauge has been up to just below the red and the suddenly drops back to 90 degC, seems to do it intermittently.

My car is a 2017 Vrs TDI DSG.....this sounds like the water pump issue? Is this common on 2017 cars?

Bit of a kick in the nuts as my new car is on order and will be here in a few months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, should i just get a water pump change arranged?

4 hours ago, Mike_D said:

Over the last few weeks my temp gauge has been up to just below the red and the suddenly drops back to 90 degC, seems to do it intermittently.

My car is a 2017 Vrs TDI DSG.....this sounds like the water pump issue? Is this common on 2017 cars?

Bit of a kick in the nuts as my new car is on order and will be here in a few months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, should i just get a water pump change arranged?

I would just disconnect the water pump connector and problem solved. The car might take a minute or two longer to heat up thats it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mike_D said:

It sound like it could be, if the electronic shroud is sticking. That's what mine did. Very random and hard to diagnose. I did also have the thermostat changed but that seemed okay, whereas the pump was deffo faulty.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 30/07/2018 at 11:02, lway said:
  • Year of registration:  January 2015
  • Engine: 1.6 TDI 
  • Mileage when fault occurred: around 53,000km (33k miles)
  • Dealer name & response : Galvins in Bandon, Cork, knew the issue immediately and replaced under warranty and replaced the timing belt while they were at it, all free of charge.
  • Warranty or goodwill contribution? All done under warranty, I only bought the car the week before it happened.

Update on this, new water pump went at just over 170,000km (105,600 miles) on the clock so had a life of ~120,000km.

Symptoms were temperature gauge started creeping up over 90 and would go back down again after 30 seconds to a minute of easy driving

Pump replaced along with timing belt, but Auxiliary Water pump is also faulty according to the independent garage I went to so looking at replacing that next week.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 02/04/2022 at 08:10, Mike_D said:

I would just run the car as it is until your new one turns up.
When mine failed it occurred once or twice & then started more frequently but every time it was a temporary overheating warning & within 30s of cruising the thermostat would pop open & then temperature would go back down for the rest of the journey.

They diagnosed the known component fault but I had to wait around 2-3 weeks for the part to arrive so I drove like this for 3-4 months in total. 

If you get a goodwill payment from the dealer (not sure if Skoda are still offering this) they'll pay around half but its still more than a few hundred quid in repairs.

The temperature is just below the red line, as coolant can still flow past the thermostat when its closed, so as long as it doesnt go into the red section it should be fine until your new car arrives.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all, mines a 2016 VRS had since new with 60k. Overheating issue (well according to the warning) but the temp gauge sat at 90, engine oil temp stable as it the coolant level hot and cold. Spoke to local dealer (Marshall of Leicester) and unless its under warrenty no help. Unless I want to part with £750 ish and wait till mid Jan.  When mentioned about the possibilty of a know fault seemed to go a little quite and offered to repair it at the above cost. A little disapionting as the last water pump I had to change was on my A series Mini. So much for build quality.

2 hours ago, T07 said:

The recommended time interval for timing belt and water pump is 5 years

I get the timing belt part but a water pump issues on cars from 35k onwards inst what you should expect these days. My Kia has 110k and still going stong on the original pump.

37 minutes ago, fatgaz said:

I get the timing belt part but a water pump issues on cars from 35k onwards inst what you should expect these days. My Kia has 110k and still going stong on the original pump.

3 hours ago, fatgaz said:

Hi all, mines a 2016 VRS had since new with 60k. Overheating issue (well according to the warning) but the temp gauge sat at 90, engine oil temp stable as it the coolant level hot and cold. Spoke to local dealer (Marshall of Leicester) and unless its under warrenty no help. Unless I want to part with £750 ish and wait till mid Jan.  When mentioned about the possibilty of a know fault seemed to go a little quite and offered to repair it at the above cost. A little disapionting as the last water pump I had to change was on my A series Mini. So much for build quality.

I went to a local garage and they confirmed the fault and replaced the water pump and timing belt for approx £650. They said it was a known fault for all VAG cars using that engine. I asked about a claim but they said as the timing chain needed replacing after 5 years and that they would always replace the water pump at the same time, there would be little point in claiming. Disappointing for such a good and reliable car.

12 hours ago, fatgaz said:

The water pump has to be disturbed/removed to replace the timing belt, so it makes sense to replace the water pump rather than try to refit/reseal the old pump.