What have you done to your Superb III today?

1 hour ago, Steviedakota said:

Had the car ceramic coated today, looks and feels like glass. Proper job, de iron, de tar, wax stripped, polished then coated. Very happy with that.

IMG_20190605_152557.jpg

Gtechniq or some other?

Spent a lot of money on it 

2 suspension bushes replaced (both rears)

1 Stop/Start ignition button replaced

1 rear bumper taken off and put back on to investigate why the virtual pedal doesn't work anymore 

Total bill

£467.58

Dropped the car off this morning and returned home without it (lucky i had a backup lift)

All sorted by tommoz apart from the virtual pedal 

The control unit has failed 

Cost £385.00 for the part 

Plus fitting at £130.00

And the part would be on back order for a undetermined amount of time 

So basically it was well over £120 for them to take the bumper off , find the fault and put the bumper back on 

They asked me if I wanted to leave the car with them so I don't incur the fitting costs when the part comes in

I.e no bumper on and off and control fitting 

But no ETA = No thank you 

Based on the fact it will be over £500 on its own to fix the virtual pedal, it's just not worth it 

I have probably used it a dozen times in 2 years 

They are quoting me the part cost on beaded note paper (at least that way I get the part number and can maybe source it cheaper or from a breakers yard)

I am looking to sell privately shortly but cannot justify £515 to fix a nicety that is so infrequently used 

A bit of negotiation with a potential buyer would need to happen 

Or should I fix it ?  .....

Even the dealer said it wasn't really worth fixing as the majority of  people rarely use them in reality ...

50 minutes ago, GrahamVRS said:

Washed, clayed, polished and sealed. 

FFC66648-AF5F-45F3-9B26-724AAF87387C.jpeg

F7A3D6E4-EFE1-441B-8101-2277431FC2E9.jpeg

7DA95493-D403-412E-BC1A-6D06FD3F4EC6.jpeg

Looks well and certainly looked after 

I do love a bit of amateur detailing myself

This is mine after the same treatment , just love the glass like reflection 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TehpcCtYxB28i1ka6

I used a

Meguires Clay Kit

Das 6 Pro Dual Action

Lakeland pads

This menzerna kit

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/menzerna-250ml-sampler-kit.  

Glazed with 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/menzerna-250ml-sampler-kit

Sealed with 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/menzerna-power-lock-sealant-250ml

Topped with 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/chemical-guys-butter-wet-wax

Overkill to the max but it only gets the full wammy once a year (2 day job)

The rest are just top up where required

I believe looking after your car and being just a bit OCD pays off in the long run 

• Like 1

New set of PS4's fitted yesterday and didn't really get a chance to see what they are like on the way home for the dealers.  Finished work and let rush hour pass and then went for a little drive across the moors...

I never really had a problem with my Vredestein all-seasons but having had them fitted to the 280 from day one, I was keen to see if the PS4's would live up to the hype and/or make the car a little nicer to drive (or just be a waste of money?!).   Well it took all of 5 minutes to realise that they are every bit as good as their reputation.  Plenty of predictable grip and braking is also improved (a lot).  On a rough surface they drone a little more than I would like but on a smooth surface there's no tyre noise at all.  The dealer inflated them to 2.5 BAR but they did feel a little squirmy so I topped them up to 2.9, which I used in my Vredesteins and they have worn evenly across the belt on all 4 tyres.  I'll try 2.7 tomorrow and see how they feel.  

First impressions are very good and I may just have to set my alarm clock extra early on Saturday and get the papers from that little newsagents in Coldstream. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zenbasses said:

Looks well and certainly looked after 

I do love a bit of amateur detailing myself

This is mine after the same treatment , just love the glass like reflection 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TehpcCtYxB28i1ka6

I used a

Meguires Clay Kit

Das 6 Pro Dual Action

Lakeland pads

This menzerna kit

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/menzerna-250ml-sampler-kit.  

Glazed with 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/menzerna-250ml-sampler-kit

Sealed with 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/menzerna-power-lock-sealant-250ml

Topped with 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/chemical-guys-butter-wet-wax

Overkill to the max but it only gets the full wammy once a year (2 day job)

The rest are just top up where required

I believe looking after your car and being just a bit OCD pays off in the long run 

If you like CG butter wet wax then have a try of their wet mirror finish....oooooooh glossy.  Oh and if you have a metallic finish then CG's v7 detailing spray really makes the flakes pop.  

Yes, you've guessed I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys stuff; easy to use, great results and smell like ye olde sweet shop :)

Maybe price the car accordingly and leave it, unless you come across a cheap unit and include it in the deal. 

21 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

If you like CG butter wet wax then have a try of their wet mirror finish....oooooooh glossy.  Oh and if you have a metallic finish then CG's v7 detailing spray really makes the flakes pop.  

Yes, you've guessed I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys stuff; easy to use, great results and smell like ye olde sweet shop :)

Couldn't agree more

From experience and advice i lean more towards Merzerna then CG for compounds and polishes 

But for everything else CG stuff is great 

Clean Slate is fantastic for preparing for pre-winter treatments 

MrSuds is a great shampoo

And Jet Seal is just awesome 

All firm favourites

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

New set of PS4's fitted yesterday and didn't really get a chance to see what they are like on the way home for the dealers.  Finished work and let rush hour pass and then went for a little drive across the moors...

I never really had a problem with my Vredestein all-seasons but having had them fitted to the 280 from day one, I was keen to see if the PS4's would live up to the hype and/or make the car a little nicer to drive (or just be a waste of money?!).   Well it took all of 5 minutes to realise that they are every bit as good as their reputation.  Plenty of predictable grip and braking is also improved (a lot).  On a rough surface they drone a little more than I would like but on a smooth surface there's no tyre noise at all.  The dealer inflated them to 2.5 BAR but they did feel a little squirmy so I topped them up to 2.9, which I used in my Vredesteins and they have worn evenly across the belt on all 4 tyres.  I'll try 2.7 tomorrow and see how they feel.  

First impressions are very good and I may just have to set my alarm clock extra early on Saturday and get the papers from that little newsagents in Coldstream. 

Have mine at 2.7bar and get even wear across the tyre.:thumbup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zenbasses said:

Couldn't agree more

From experience and advice i lean more towards Merzerna then CG for compounds and polishes 

But for everything else CG stuff is great 

Clean Slate is fantastic for preparing for pre-winter treatments 

MrSuds is a great shampoo

And Jet Seal is just awesome 

All firm favourites

Jet Seal is something I’m wanting to try. Always good to hear a solid recommendation, thanks. 

Though I have the Carlack twins (NSC and long life sealant) to use for my ‘big Summer detail’.  I bought them a year ago and still haven’t used them.  I’m trying to empty my boxes of kit before ordering more 😊

Removed the drivers door trim and applied silent coat absorber foam and 2mm deadening mat; hopefully that will stop the ANNOYING vibration that occurs at 2k revs. 

I’ve given up asking the dealer to sort this. 

I was going to make a gasket around the main door speaker too but I was surprised to see that the unit is riveted to the door, not the usual torx screw 

I’ll do the passenger door soon. 

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Removed the drivers door trim and applied silent coat absorber foam and 2mm deadening mat; hopefully that will stop the ANNOYING vibration that occurs at 2k revs. 

I was going to make a gasket around the main door speaker too but I was surprised to see that the unit is riveted to the door, not the usual torx screw 

Did you disconnect the door cable and other electrical connectors or work with the door card still attached to the car?

1 hour ago, Steviedakota said:

Did you disconnect the door cable and other electrical connectors or work with the door card still attached to the car?

I was planning to remove it but some of the electrical connectors were fiddly and one for the LED strip was wrapped and taped. I already had an ideally sized bucket at the ready so rested the card on that and leaned it towards me, whilst working. No real drama and fairly simple. 

Good job a didn’t snap any clips as the bag of spares I had from my old SEAT are different to the type used in the Superb. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Would you mind sharing pictures?

Many thanks

15 minutes ago, GeorgeSuperb said:

Would you mind sharing pictures?

Many thanks

Would you mind if I didn't redo the whole process again? :biggrin::blush

Sorry, in hindsight I should have done but I actually only went outside to apply some tyre dressing. The removal actually isn't very hard and the type of clips used are very good and will withstand a good tug, whereas the other type I've seen in the past were basically collateral damage. 

Here's the schematic of the door assembly.  As long as you use some proper trim removal tools and apply pressure on the areas where the clips are then you should be good.  

door trim (3).pdf

28 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

When I took mine off I had the same issue with the led wiring, could see no way to remove it, so worked the same way as you. Hope your rattle is gone!

Thanks! (so do I). Looking at the door assembly I think it may have been the window regulator that was making the noise.  Failing that my next possible culprit is the glass 😕

One thing I completely forgot about doing was to gain access to the outer door skin and apply some Silent Coat there too....bugg3r.....

25 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Would you mind if I didn't redo the whole process again? :biggrin::blush

Sorry, in hindsight I should have done but I actually only went outside to apply some tyre dressing. The removal actually isn't very hard and the type of clips used are very good and will withstand a good tug, whereas the other type I've seen in the past were basically collateral damage. 

Here's the schematic of the door assembly.  As long as you use some proper trim removal tools and apply pressure on the areas where the clips are then you should be good.  

door trim (3).pdf 784.96 kB · 2 downloads

Haha I see!

Thanks for posting the door trim PDF though. Always wondered if removing it was an impossible job or not.

Had the car detailed by a local chap who has looked after my last few cars. 10 hours of work, results and more info are on the Recently Cleaned thread..very happy with the outcome😁

26 minutes ago, Adrian55555 said:

Today i have traded my superb 220 sportline in for a seat leon cupra300 ST 4drive

So exhaust has to come off and will be put for sale lol

Ooooh nice; what colour?  Why did you get ride of the Superb? (you haven't had it that long, no?) 

Its a dark grey.  Got rid as wanted an estate with us recently getting a dog as u know.  Plus wife wants to start camping.  With the added height in boot with it estate its easier to stack stuff right up when a dog guard is installed. Ill miss the superb for sure, 11 months ive had it!  But 300hp and 4wd im sure ill soon forget lol

• Like 1