What have you done to your Superb III today?

15 hours ago, defiant said:

I didn't do anything, but a rock decided to hit the windscreen and left two small little pit marks. They're like dead pixels on a screen, once seen never unseen.

4 days into my ownership, must be a world record. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFck. Someone make me feel better with their stone chip story! :D

If the chips are not too deep then they can be repaired in place by Autoglass. They clean them up and put some kind of clear resin over them to fill them up. I had that done to my previous car and the repair was virtually invisible. You might even get it done on your insurance for a small excess charge.

I had my Superb estate for less than a week when someone seemed to punch (how ??) the C-pillar and put a fist sized dent in it, breaking the paint at one point which made dent pulling impossible. It cost £430 to get the dent fixed and the area resprayed and blended to match the rest of the body.

4 hours ago, BOD20 said:

If the chips are not too deep then they can be repaired in place by Autoglass. They clean them up and put some kind of clear resin over them to fill them up. I had that done to my previous car and the repair was virtually invisible. You might even get it done on your insurance for a small excess charge.

I had my Superb estate for less than a week when someone seemed to punch (how ??) the C-pillar and put a fist sized dent in it, breaking the paint at one point which made dent pulling impossible. It cost £430 to get the dent fixed and the area resprayed and blended to match the rest of the body.

They're too small to repair, it's just surface damage on the glass as opposed to a traditional stone chip that can be filled with that resin stuff

Oh gutted, someone opened their door onto my then 2 week old Suzuki Swift so I feel your pain

They say Smoking is addictive.

Guilty.
After smoking the fogs, I did the tail lights too.
Bl00dy 'ell it was difficult to vinyl tint.  I'm not happy with it, from up close the imperfections can b seen. 
But stand back and it looks good :)

It's "lightly smoked", so the lights r no where near compromised at all!! :thumbup:

819399736_20201109_232826-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.6677b47952e0e70648fdf069a0023884.jpg

422744720_20201109_232757-COLLAGE2.thumb.jpg.d6815ef55c3d3c607c2321faa2bbb8d6.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JR RS said:

Bl00dy 'ell it was difficult to vinyl tint.  I'm not happy with it, from up close the imperfections can b seen. 

You know you can tint polycarbonate in a bath of hot plastic dye. That's how they tint sunglasses.

Or simpler...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdQSumRX7B8

Edited by digifish

Never liked having the battery exposed, didn't even get the felt top cover with mine, so picked up a lid for it.

Bit of a bargain at under £9 delivered on ebay and makes the engine bay look a bit less unfinished.

20201113_122211.thumb.jpg.0ccd52f7ede20c565092918941c30a8e.jpg

20201113_122144.thumb.jpg.4c0f12891c5d2724aa7f9156c47ca030.jpg

Also changed the halogen bulbs in my rear indicators and reverse lights for Philips Ultinon LEDs after spotting a decent Amazon Warehouse deal.

Not the best of pictures but sort of shows the improvement of the LEDs in the nearside lamp over the original halogens in the offside.

While going through boxes in the garage also found an unused Osram W5W LED so used that to replace the bulb in the glovebox.

Think that was the last halogen bulb left on the car 😆20201112_160034.thumb.jpg.bfb5d25bab8b1fb146b18c8086f2084b.jpg

20201112_151703.thumb.jpg.902b0a43cb6d5d186602cd7b0b50560b.jpg

Edited by AidanF
  • Like 2

For that price I bought a new OE (but no doubt parallel market) battery box & cover from Ali-Express, they are fully backward compatible.

I had gone from the 027 battery to the bigger 060 and the felt cover looked like Norman Wisdoms suit!

The 060 fits within the standard plastic battery box & cover but not the felt one.

The engine bay definitely looks better with either cover fitted.

• Like 1

Put winter wheels on yesterday. Still satisfied with the detailing I had done on these wheels during spring.

Still very shiny B) :biggrin:.

IMG-3621-1.jpg

IMG-3626-2.jpg

IMG-3622-2.jpg

Now the summer wheels are off, I just have to do the same (19" Trinity in black version) :biggrin:.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

@AidanF AMG engine bay... even closer! :rofl: ;)

There's a 6.3 V8 hiding under all those plastic covers.......honestly 🤥 😅

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

Put winter wheels on yesterday. Still satisfied with the detailing I had done on these wheels during spring.

Still very shiny 

Now the summer wheels are off, I just have to do the same (19" Trinity in black version) :biggrin:.

Looking good 👍

Can recommend Autofinesse caramics as a good product to apply to your summer wheels while they're off the car.

https://www.autofinesse.com/en/caramics-wheel-protection-kit

• Thanks 1

@AidanF Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I'm also about to run out of rim cleaner product. I've been using Billberry will cleaner. Quite efficient, but there may exist better ones...

Any tip for tyre dressing also? I've been told that Autofinesse make good product for that too. Thanks. ;)  

Edited by Bap33

5 hours ago, Bap33 said:

@AidanF Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I'm also about to run out of rim cleaner product. I've been using Billberry will cleaner. Quite efficient, but there may exist better ones...

Any tip for tyre dressing also? I've been told that Autofinesse make good product for that too. Thanks. ;)  

The advantage with using Caramics or similar is you don't need a special wheel cleaner. I just use the same water & shampoo I clean the rest of the car with.

The main thing is preparing the wheels properly before applying, give them a good clean, fall out treatment (I use Autoglym Magma) and once applied leave them somewhere dry and dust free to cure.

I use Autoglym tyre gel on mine, I find gels always seem to last longer than spray on types.

Mind you, at this time of year nothing on the car stays looking clean for long 😣

Haven't tried Autofinesse's tyre dressing but their Citrus Power pre wash is very good (if slightly pricey) as an alternative to snow foam.

On 14/11/2020 at 14:48, AidanF said:

The advantage with using Caramics or similar is you don't need a special wheel cleaner. I just use the same water & shampoo I clean the rest of the car with.

The main thing is preparing the wheels properly before applying, give them a good clean, fall out treatment (I use Autoglym Magma) and once applied leave them somewhere dry and dust free to cure.

I use Autoglym tyre gel on mine, I find gels always seem to last longer than spray on types.

Mind you, at this time of year nothing on the car stays looking clean for long 😣

Haven't tried Autofinesse's tyre dressing but their Citrus Power pre wash is very good (if slightly pricey) as an alternative to snow foam.

I've been using this stuff for tyre shine. Works reasonably well & lasts longer than most others I've had in the past. Applied with a paint brush or small sponge. £10.50 on Amazon at the moment. 

Meguiar's G7516 Endurance High Gloss Black Tire Gel 473 ml

• Thanks 1

Well today is exactly 1 month since I bought my diesel Superb and it has covered just 201 miles (322km) due to a 2 week holiday in Cyprus (wish we were still there TBH) when we walked around 100km (62 miles) and after 9 days quarantine I have passed the time by cycling 133km on my York fitness bike in exactly 6 hours which is not bad for a near 56 year old. What did I do to the Superb today? I swapped it round in the drive with the wife's petrol Karoq which has also not been driven anywhere for 9 days. My life is so exciting at the moment.:sweat:

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Well today is exactly 1 month since I bought my diesel Superb and it has covered just 201 miles (322km) due to a 2 week holiday in Cyprus (wish we were still there TBH) when we walked around 100km (62 miles) and after 9 days quarantine I have passed the time by cycling 133km on my York fitness bike in exactly 6 hours which is not bad for a near 56 year old. What did I do to the Superb today? I swapped it round in the drive with the wife's petrol Karoq which has also not been driven anywhere for 9 days. My life is so exciting at the moment.:sweat:

Hi Shy.

At least you managed to get some time away during this non-event of a year. I've not been anywhere in 9 months, other than a day out to Norfolk back in the summer :@

Best I've done in the last 2 weeks is 2 x click & collect visits to Tesco for supplies! 

"Her in doors" is so spooked by the whole situation we will have to wait for years before we travel anywhere any time soon! She still has 1/2 a tank of fuel in her car from the last time she filled up in Feb!! 

Seriously though, we are all hoping that this new vaccine will do the business & we can return to some sort of normality as soon as possible before all the airlines go bust for good & we loose the means to travel anywhere other than by car:angry: TBH the thought of that is not so bad since I now have loads of time on my hands a long road trip somewhere for a few months would be much appreciated. 

Reminds me of of years gone by when I could get 3 weeks off work for road trip holidays in France, Spain, Germany etc.  

Roll on vaccine before I go stir crazy!!       

• Like 1

Put fuel in for the first time since March !!!

Well I tried to yesterday but the fuel flap was well and truly stuck fast. After an hour or so yesterday lock unlock bother repeat, without damaging anything I managed to slide the painted cover off and WD40 as best I could. This morning after trying again to no avail I removed all the panels from inside just in case, nope so put back. Lightbulb moment..... I had been looking for a screw to undo but the black plastic surround is removed by inserting a tool/ screwdriver in four positions (2 top 2 bottom) and levering. Then with a reasonable amount of persuasion hay presto out hello fuel filler cap. I removed the locking mechanism from the back and replaced everything else so now as before but no lock until I have a chance to get it replaced.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Martin201 said:

Put fuel in for the first time since March !!!

Well I tried to yesterday but the fuel flap was well and truly stuck fast. After an hour or so yesterday lock unlock bother repeat, without damaging anything I managed to slide the painted cover off and WD40 as best I could. This morning after trying again to no avail I removed all the panels from inside just in case, nope so put back. Lightbulb moment..... I had been looking for a screw to undo but the black plastic surround is removed by inserting a tool/ screwdriver in four positions (2 top 2 bottom) and levering. Then with a reasonable amount of persuasion hay presto out hello fuel filler cap. I removed the locking mechanism from the back and replaced everything else so now as before but no lock until I have a chance to get it replaced.

Sorry to hear that Martin. I remember this being a common fault on the mark 7 Golf on the same MQB platform. It's a warranty fix I'm sure, or, there's hopefully some video fixes on YouTube 👍

9 hours ago, Bap33 said:

I got (from AliExpress too) the Skoda logo version for mine.....

20201121_195031-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.9f2192797d60a82a290eeba307598cfb.jpg