What have you done to your Superb III today?

39 minutes ago, petrolcan said:

Was it you that recommended MaxPowder in Abbots Langley?

Don't think so as that name doesn't ring bell & too far away from me to have considered them.

• Thanks 1

@Danoid Nice job.

I use Billberry Wheel Cleaner from Valet Pro. Even diluted to 25% and sprayed on heavily encrusted brake dust, it works fine.

Never been disappointed with it. I just use a microfiber glove with this kind of 1" long "drealocks" 😁 on one side. It perfectly goes in tight corners... ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

Other side done, why oh why did I do this whilst having a bad back 😭

Has anyone had good success with Amazon centre caps? Reading the reviews on one I saw says they don’t quite fit properly.

OE ones are expensive for what they are, but it’ll fit perfectly at least.

My centre caps are horrible and a shame to put them back on for now

IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.448af9f83b5ab9e08a1ff6a0eaf782fe.jpeg

all 4 are like that

Edited by Danoid

18 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Other side done, why oh why did I do this whilst having a bad back 😭

Has anyone had good success with Amazon centre caps? Reading the reviews on one I saw says they don’t quite fit properly.

OE ones are expensive for what they are, but it’ll fit perfectly at least.

My centre caps are horrible and a shame to put them back on for now

IMG_0346.thumb.jpeg.448af9f83b5ab9e08a1ff6a0eaf782fe.jpeg

all 4 are like that

I bought some from Ebay and they looked good but were ever so slightly too small.

They initially fitted and looked good but one worked loose pretty quickly and disappeared when on a long drive on the motorway.

I ended up buying a set of new OE which fitted perfectly and are still on the car.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jonboy984 said:

I bought some from Ebay and they looked good but were ever so slightly too small.

They initially fitted and looked good but one worked loose pretty quickly and disappeared when on a long drive on the motorway.

I ended up buying a set of new OE which fitted perfectly and are still on the car.

Ah sounds the same then, OE it is then

Hopefully they won’t corrode like my current ones

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Ah sounds the same then, OE it is then

They will.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Remembered to take a picture of the BH auto wheels in action 

IMG_0343.thumb.jpeg.bd990c56b898df74f61622b2e0207307.jpeg

I like BH products. I use Touchless, Auto Wheels & I've got some Surfex HD which I have yet to use - engine bay clean up beckons.

• Like 2

Today, I mostly left her at home and drove SWMBO's Mokka 200 miles to the sister in laws......TBH (said quietly) I was impressed.

136bhp, three pots and a light body made for a fun drive across the country a and b roads. 

On the way back I discovered the sport button  that made it even more fun. 

Swap???? Never but good for a blast!

16 hours ago, Danoid said:

Unfortunately, they will.
I bought some of the cheap clones on ebay in ‘21. As others have said, they were slightly too small, but I gently pulled the side lugs out with a pair of needle pliers and they’re fine. Yes, the chrome has become dull over the last 3 years but they haven’t bubbled-up on the edge like the OE units did. They were so cheap, I bought three sets; that reminds me, I really must change them over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Unfortunately, they will.
I bought some of the cheap clones on ebay in ‘21. As others have said, they were slightly too small, but I gently pulled the side lugs out with a pair of needle pliers and they’re fine. Yes, the chrome has become dull over the last 3 years but they haven’t bubbled-up on the edge like the OE units did. They were so cheap, I bought three sets; that reminds me, I really must change them over. 

It’s odd as it’s the outside on mine which go all bubbly, centre is still good

I’ve just ordered and going to pick up 4 OE ones from the dealership in a bit £62.something , think I’ll wax them to death and never let anyone clean the car other than me, just in case they use an acid cleaner or something

2 hours ago, Danoid said:

It’s odd as it’s the outside on mine which go all bubbly, centre is still good

I’ve just ordered and going to pick up 4 OE ones from the dealership in a bit £62.something , think I’ll wax them to death and never let anyone clean the car other than me, just in case they use an acid cleaner or something

Acid / aggressive Wheel cleaner is the prime suspect. Specially the stuff they use at the hand wash places - not that you use those establishments.

£62 is daylight robbery for a set of 4 wheel caps. When I changed mine a while ago I got plain black centres (to match my new wheel colour) & a set of 4 stick on silver Skoda centres. All from Ali Express I think. 

Alternatively have a look at these from Amazon at £15 for a set of 4. At that price you could get 3 sets & still come out cheaper. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IY7ZM1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

These are 56mm dia but if they are a bit loose run some electrical tape around around them to close up the gap & hold on properly.

Yesterday: spent several hours in it trekking to the east to view a car that ... did not live up to my expectations, at least not on the outside. Next!

Today: off through the snow down south to look at a Kodiaq. I would like this whole thing off my plate as I have a busy spring / summer ahead and if it's not going to work out, I'd like to know that sooner rather than later... Superbs are thin on the ground, super thin on the ground. 3 in the correct price / mileage class in the entire country and I've driven 2 of them and rejected them; the third is elsewhere but I think I've settled on the Kodiaq. Decent equipment - towbar, electric seats, leather, heated rear outside seats - but not too much. No BLIS, but ACC; no Dynamic LEDs but high beam assist, nav and traffic sign recognition and a reversing camera. At least speed limits are coming back to summer ones in part, that will turn my commute from 4h45 including coffee to 4h dead including coffee.

It was super fun to slide across a mostly-empty car park this morning with ESC Sport. Wasn't long but it was satisfying. ooo-er!

Edited by brettikivi

I used it for the first time since I filled it up two weeks ago. Kessy refused to work (battery probably low) but the key fob opened it & it fired up first time as always.

Big clunk as I reversed off my drive & the parking brake let go. 4 discs rusty as hell until I returned from a 30 mins drive to the shops & back. Discs are now nice & silvery until tomorrow morning when they will start to rust again - anyone else notice this "quick to rust" phenomena on their discs?

The hubs are also rusty which I need to address. I've got some Hammerite direct to rust black paint to apply when the weather warms up. Black wheel nut covers also now on in place of the earlier silver ones in the pic below.

1355984616_IMG_1074(1).jpg.f541957c051f02bbe8f0c970c221287a.jpg

It was so nice to drive an analogue car again after using our EV for all our journeys this last two weeks. As quick as the EV is the Superb can beat it hands down (wet or dry) & it sounds like a real car & not a space ship.🚀  

9 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

I used it for the first time since I filled it up two weeks ago. Kessy refused to work (battery probably low) but the key fob opened it & it fired up first time as always.

Big clunk as I reversed off my drive & the parking brake let go. 4 discs rusty as hell until I returned from a 30 mins drive to the shops & back. Discs are now nice & silvery until tomorrow morning when they will start to rust again - anyone else notice this "quick to rust" phenomena on their discs?

The hubs are also rusty which I need to address. I've got some Hammerite direct to rust black paint to apply when the weather warms up. Black wheel nut covers also now on in place of the earlier silver ones in the pic below.

1355984616_IMG_1074(1).jpg.f541957c051f02bbe8f0c970c221287a.jpg

It was so nice to drive an analogue car again after using our EV for all our journeys this last two weeks. As quick as the EV is the Superb can beat it hands down (wet or dry) & it sounds like a real car & not a space ship.🚀  

Kessy is one of the first things to turn off followed by ambient lighting to conserve power.

I also have the handbrake get stuck on solid sometimes when I leave my car for a week at a time!

Id prefer not to leave it resting on the parking lock so yet to come up with a solution 

25 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Kessy is one of the first things to turn off followed by ambient lighting to conserve power.

I also have the handbrake get stuck on solid sometimes when I leave my car for a week at a time!

Id prefer not to leave it resting on the parking lock so yet to come up with a solution 

Won't most autos hold the car in P without the parking brake?

I might try this.

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

I can understand the logic in disabling the Kessy system as that is always going to be active and drawing power but the ambient lighting, no way, that is only ever powered when the car is unlocked and the drivers door opened should it be able to come on.

On 05/04/2024 at 17:44, Danoid said:

Remembered to take a picture of the BH auto wheels in action 

IMG_0343.thumb.jpeg.bd990c56b898df74f61622b2e0207307.jpeg

Can also spray it on the body around the wheels to decontaminate any iron fallout, stated to be safe for lacquered wheels so no issue on lacquered paint. Same thing, let it dwell without drying, see if there any little red dots appear and jet wash off. 

@Colin170CR Surfex is probably the best APC on the market by the looks of some isolated testing so def a wise choice.

Edited by travs

1 hour ago, travs said:

Can also spray it on the body around the wheels to decontaminate any iron fallout, stated to be safe for lacquered wheels so no issue on lacquered paint. Same thing, let it dwell without drying, see if there any little red dots appear and jet wash off. 

@Colin170CR Surfex is probably the best APC on the market by the looks of some isolated testing so def a wise choice.

👍image.gif.f94049be9c3b3fd0bf192c500a49aede.gif

• Haha 2

On 06/04/2024 at 20:47, Colin170CR said:

Discs are now nice & silvery until tomorrow morning when they will start to rust again - anyone else notice this "quick to rust" phenomena on their discs?

Yes Colin. Washed the car yesterday and they’re all covered in rust today. Having said that, the MKI and MKII were exactly the same. 

On 06/04/2024 at 11:47, Danoid said:

I’ve just ordered and going to pick up 4 OE ones from the dealership in a bit £62.something

WTF??? £62??? Insane..😳

57 minutes ago, numskull said:

WTF??? £62??? Insane..😳

It’s gold really, just looks like plastic. At least they look a million dollars compared to my old ones 😂