Reminded why STOP/START is nonsense

This morning I simply forgot to press the STOP/START kill button when I set off, like wot I always do.

My first pause was a mere 0.3 miles from home.

Engine stopped dead.  How stupid is that!

I thought the system had some modicum of common senses relating to Time, Distance and maybe even Engine Temperature.

What a piece of 21st century gimmicky nonsense to play the urban emissions cheating game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

What a piece of 21st century gimmicky nonsense to play the urban emissions cheating game.

I hate stop/start,crap idea that I could really live without,second nature now to press the kill button but on the rare occasion that I forget the air turns blue,this emissions bullsh*t has gone too far.

Edited by sandman

First car I’ve had with stop/start and from day one I’m a hater. Switching it off has become part of the start up routine for me, and I only ever flick it back on if we’re going to be stopped a while in traffic etc. 

• Like 1

I don't mind the S/S in my Wife's Fabia, but perhaps that's due to it being a manual, so S/S only kicks in once I've actually stopped, put on the handbrake, and engaged neutral.

Over aggressive S/S is one of the things putting me off getting a DSG car

1 hour ago, BoxerBoy said:

My first pause was a mere 0.3 miles from home.

Engine stopped dead.  How stupid is that!.

Why is that stupid? Isn’t that exactly what the stop start system is supposed to do? I don’t have a problem with it, and I’m slightly bemused by the angst it seems to cause. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

I’m slightly bemused by the angst it seems to cause. 

You and me both. Yes, it's 'better' in a manual because it is easier to control. But if you learn to modulate your foot properly on the brake pedal, even with a DSG it's possible to control when it does and doesn't stop the engine. Slamming the brakes on at the last minute won't do it - you have to be nice and gentle...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Pepper said:

Works perfectly in a manual - Just saying. Only switches off when handbrake on and in neutral.

6 hours ago, Wet Kipper said:

I don't mind the S/S in my Wife's Fabia, but perhaps that's due to it being a manual, so S/S only kicks in once I've actually stopped, put on the handbrake, and engaged neutral.

Over aggressive S/S is one of the things putting me off getting a DSG car

Handbrake on?

The handbrake doesn't have to be on on my manual Kodiaq for the stop/start to work.

Neutral, clutch released, almost stopped and the engine will turn off.

Was the same on our manual 2016 MkIII Octavia.

Edited by silver1011

worked fine in my manual vRS and works fine in my DSG Kodiaq. Does exactly s it says on the tin.. stop.. start. Yes it can be a little agressive in the DSG but I can't see what the issue is. Think it's more down to personal taste at the end of the day :)

7 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

That's also how it works in my manual Superb II and every other (manual) VAG car I've driven with it.  Well, in the S2 I'm always completely stopped before putting it into neutral, I'd have to try an "almost stopped" situation.

• Like 1

The Stop/Start on my old Superb Greenline seemed to work most of the time, but on occasion didn't Stop when I expected it to. 

SWMBO's Rapid is even more erratic than that.  It doesn't Stop regularly for no apparent reason.

On my new Kodi it works perfectly, to the extent that I've forgotten it's there, and I certainly wouldn't ever consider cancelling it.

Happy with it on both our Skodas. Manual Furby and DSG Kodi. Especially pleased where it uses the front radar to restart the engine ready when the car in front moves off (on the Kodi, the Furby is too 'old' for that).

4 minutes ago, wildpig said:

I don't want to disable...

Just  Off by default. Then if required, switch it on back.

Nope, only can be set to either DISABLE or ENABLE.

So the 1st thing to do for me after getting in the Kodiaq is to disable it by pushing the button.

I rarely need it to work... unless waiting at a very long stop-go signal.

1 hour ago, MyKodiaq168 said:

Nope, only can be set to either DISABLE or ENABLE.

So the 1st thing to do for me after getting in the Kodiaq is to disable it by pushing the button.

I rarely need it to work... unless waiting at a very long stop-go signal.

I really don't understand why people object to Start/Stop if it is working correctly.  Just what is the problem?

On 31/08/2018 at 22:01, silver1011 said:

Handbrake on?

The handbrake doesn't have to be on on my manual Kodiaq for the stop/start to work.

Was the same on our manual 2016 MkIII Octavia.

I can;t comment on whether it needs the handbrake on or not. Maybe it's just he way I drive that I will put the hadnbrake on first, before putting car into neutral and releasing clutch, therefore the handbrake is already on once the S/S kicks in

4 hours ago, 05surveyor said:

I really don't understand why people object to Start/Stop if it is working correctly.  Just what is the problem?

There appears to be quite some variation across different models, engines, fuel types and gearbox variants in how the stop/start system reacts.

Stopping too early, not starting quick enough, stopping just as you want to accelerate, jerkiness etc.

Some cars with stop/start don't benefit from upgraded batteries, alternators or starter motors, placing component longevity into question.

Cars with stop/start that aren't fitted with auxiliary oil pumps can suffer if the stop/start system turns the engine off after the turbo has been worked very heard, instantly stopping the cooling.

Cars without electric power steering can suffer increased steering effort if the engine stops too early and the power steering pump stops.

Interior heating and cooling is impacted when the engine is off. The car will turn itself back on when certain parameters aren't met i.e the selected interior temperature, but those parameters on some cars can be set too high which can have a noticeable impact on passenger comfort.

Headlights dimming, flickering or flashing each time the load on the electrical system is increased to start the engine.

During the winter months stop/start can prevent the engine from ever reaching full operating temperatures, meaning engine wear is potentially exacerbated.

In all these examples the system is working correctly, or as the manufacturer intends, but may result in driver dissatisfaction or reduced long-term reliability.

Each to their own, sometimes if I'm in heavy traffic I'll leave it on, but most of the time the minimal fuel savings aren't sufficient to offset some or all of the potential issues identified above. In those situations where I have reason to think that my engine noise or exhaust emissions are adversely impacting others I simply turn stop/start back on.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2