Tyres

Mee

I’m on front hankooks and rear continentals at the moment, but as I’m unsure of their age, I’m going to be replacing all 4 soon 

im tied between Dunlop and another at the moment (it’s late, I can’t remember toffee lol), which tyres are recommended?

i prefer branded mid to high end, as I’ve found with budgets - well you get what you pay for 

i do do a lot of mileage, and the car (estate) is going to be fully laiden in a few months when we go on holiday if that makes any difference?

13 minutes ago, Mee said:

I’m on front hankooks and rear continentals at the moment, but as I’m unsure of their age, I’m going to be replacing all 4 soon 

im tied between Dunlop and another at the moment (it’s late, I can’t remember toffee lol), which tyres are recommended?

i prefer branded mid to high end, as I’ve found with budgets - well you get what you pay for 

i do do a lot of mileage, and the car (estate) is going to be fully laiden in a few months when we go on holiday if that makes any difference?

I’ve got an estate with Good Year F1 Asymmetrical 3s all round, had them for 12k miles and on 4mm tread still.  I got them fitted for £86 a corner from tyres on the drive. 

Edited by courty
  • Like 4

Ive got Avon ZV7's and am very happy with them.  Was going for Pilot Sport 4's, but my local tyre dealer said to try the Avon's first, and he'd swap them over if I didn't like them.  I haven't wanted to swap them.

Gaz

• Like 1

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 look unbeatable for value imo if they have them in the size you need - not sure which model you have? Generally a big fan of Goodyears and you'd probably find them priced similar to the Dunlops you have looked at.

Had mine since May last year and covered approx 10k since. Still 5mm+ all round.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 3

Fitted Michelin CrossClimates in April, can't fault them in any way.

I've run Hankooks, Avons, Falkens, Uniroyals and Goodyears in the past but these are by far and away the best in every aspect!!!

• Like 4

Another vote for the Goodyear Asymmetric 3's here. Had two sets and two sets of the asymmetric 2's in my time.

Last set of 3's were on 4mm after 14k, all motorway.

As said value for money hard to beat, I've not tried Michelin Pilots which also come up a lot in these conversations.

• Like 1

Changed from Dunlop Sport Maxx (fitted from new) to Bridgestone Potanza S001. Loads more grip when cornering and it feel much more stable at speed. The tyre also has a rim protector. The only downside so far is I've lost 4mpg, but I did expect some change as its an E rated tyre for fuel.

10 hours ago, Russ77 said:

Fitted Michelin CrossClimates in April, can't fault them in any way.

I've run Hankooks, Avons, Falkens, Uniroyals and Goodyears in the past but these are by far and away the best in every aspect!!!

I’m looking at these for my next set. Heard nothing good things about them. 

• Like 2

Just changed the original Dunlop Maxx tyres for Michelin Cross Climate all round.  Even tho the Dunlops were only 20 months old, there were cracks between every tread block and the traction was very poor so I wasn't interested in them again. The reaction from Dunlop is that there is a good chance of an allowance as they warranty their tyres for manufacturing faults for 5 years.  Even tho the Michelins are more expensive than Goodyear AS3, I opted for what I feel is improved traction with longer life to compensate.

• Like 1

For Summers I'd go with the Assy 3's, had them twice now and they are great.

For All Seasons I'd go with Crossclimates for a Summer bias or Vector 4 Season Gen 2's for a more winter bias and they are a bit cheaper than the Michelin's.

I have 3 cars outside with a set of each of the above fitted. Unless you have a high performance car  and like pushing it to it's limits the modern All Seasons are the correct choice for 99% of UK drivers.

• Like 1

I’m really happy with the Michelin CrossClimate+. If you are changing all 4, I would definitely fit some sort of all weather tyres. Since you shouldn’t mix ordinary and all weather tyres, it’s a good time to fit them without changing two that don’t really need changing. 

2 hours ago, Griffter said:

Just changed the original Dunlop Maxx tyres for Michelin Cross Climate all round.  Even tho the Dunlops were only 20 months old, there were cracks between every tread block and the traction was very poor so I wasn't interested in them again. The reaction from Dunlop is that there is a good chance of an allowance as they warranty their tyres for manufacturing faults for 5 years.  Even tho the Michelins are more expensive than Goodyear AS3, I opted for what I feel is improved traction with longer life to compensate.

I've had the same issue with the Dunlop's that were factory fitted, cracking in-between the treads. I've left the two on the rear and had Michelin cross climate+ fitted on the front while on offer at Costco. Even tho I'm running all weather tyres on the front and summers on the rear, I've not had any squeaky bottom moments as a result. :D Despite all the ice and snow we've had in the Peak District lately (I cross the Peak District daily on my commute) this combination has been absolutely fine. I'm just hoping that I get at least 18,000 miles out of the Michelin cross climates like I did out of the Dunlop's (they still had 3.2mm on them when changed)

Been impressed with the Michelin Primacy tyres on the wife's Karoq, very quiet and lasting very well good tread still after nearly 13,000 miles. My car is a tyre destroyer and the P Zero have been tested upto 177mph (good job they are rated to 186mph) and are used throughout the winter. Third winter they have been used and 5mm allround left. Summer tyres only tested to 165mph but after 4,200miles the grip/traction is incredible and copied NOAIM in choosing Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which although pricey are very good but do add a fair bit of tyre roar on the motorway compared to the P Zero.:thumbup:

Well I think I’ve made a decision based on all your advice, thank you all so very much btw, in that I might (if they’ve got any) go for Michelin energy savers. 

Any my thoughts on these? Are they any good? I was going to go for Dunlop until I heard that they crack, I don’t need / want run flats

4 minutes ago, Mee said:

Well I think I’ve made a decision based on all your advice, thank you all so very much btw, in that I might (if they’ve got any) go for Michelin energy savers. 

Any my thoughts on these? Are they any good? I was going to go for Dunlop until I heard that they crack, I don’t need / want run flats

They should give good economy and last a long time which are 2 very important reasons for picking them. The primacy on our Karoq have given a best of 63.2mpg and it's got the 1.5Tsi petrol engine.:thumbup:

2 hours ago, Mee said:

I had Michelin energy savers on my other car - and they were absolute rubbish with low grip in the dry and IMHO were downright dangerous in the wet. They came off within a few weeks of buying the car and got replaced with some non energy saver tyres that offered much improved grip.

They are energy savers because the tread compound is hard which reduces rolling resistance and increases the life of the tyre, but that also means reduced grip in all circumstances. Since the tyres are the ONLY thing keeping your car on the road I would suggest you reconsider your tyre choice.

Just my opinion, other opinions exist and are equally valid :cool:

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh back to the old drawing board lol

i was looking at the cross climate too by Michelin, only thing that got me umming was the tread pattern looks odd?