What did you do to your Octavia today?

2 hours ago, stanian said:

According to my acredited GTechniq Detailer, GTechniq Crystal Serum Light  as a base layer and  2 coats of Exo v4 should give up to 5  years durability.  That's what I paid for anyway. https://www.jpdetails.co.uk/gtechniq-ceramic-coatings

That’s what they say. I’m banking on 2 years realistically with regular C2V3 top ups.

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 21:35, SashaGrace said:

GTechniq Crystal Serum Light and Exo v4 should give 2 plus years durability and I’ll do the brakes and wheels with KKD revolve for similar durability.

Gtechniq stuff I have tried already is really good.  Where is the best/ cheapest place to get the CSL and Exo v4 from? 🙂

I finally sorted out my Amundsen MIB2 install today 😀

A HUGE thanks to @pab567 who reworked my 5Q0035874B head unit – a FANTASTIC job of the hardware and software hack – I highly recommend him to others, excellent communication and work.

(BTW, on the 5Q0035874B the App button (for Smartlink) does work, I think there is a bit of confusion in the MIB2 retrofit threads on the forum).

Whilst installing I (stupidly) destroyed the DAB connector on the radio and had to have this fixed. A big thanks to Craig at Radiowaves in Stenhousemuir who saved the day with his excellent repair work. 

I installed the unit today with the 5E0919605M Amundsen 8” screen, with a cheap magnetic GPS aerial from eBay (fitted in the speaker void in the dash – I don’t have Canton) and the result is fantastic. The car is now up to date with infotainment, and the sound output of the Amundsen is so much better than the (totally naff) Bolero unit.

I have only to change over the USB so Android Auto will work for my wife's phone (I'm an android man) and I will do this tomorrow. 

A big thanks to all on this forum who have posted so much information on upgrading to MIB2 units 😊

Oh, and of course, I can listen to Planet Rock again. Happy, happy days! 

20191001_184428_resized.thumb.jpg.9fa2187cceb4ed2f2c02bc6f3ae98e8a.jpg

20191001_184449_resized.thumb.jpg.0acf24b8aa4c823eac397b0f3012c58d.jpg

20191001_184527_resized.thumb.jpg.cfe4dc3e819cf4cbeb7b6bad9f55f7da.jpg

20191001_184535_resized.thumb.jpg.f2bd7b589ad332ab9769f22985dc5578.jpg

20191001_184542_resized.thumb.jpg.5f869b96328b7be070a8abd9106eb136.jpg

20191001_184555_resized.thumb.jpg.1b5b77b6cfc6bc334fcca1134a07bb1b.jpg

• Like 2

If the answer is yes i will go off and start a new thread so as not to hijack this one. Or read up on it.

But that is the touchscreen one i have in my MY19 octavia, can i self fit the reversing camera to that model? that i keep seeing people on this site have fitted. But their pictures never looked like my head unit or yours.

6 minutes ago, skoda2019 said:

If the answer is yes i will go off and start a new thread so as not to hijack this one. Or read up on it.

But that is the touchscreen one i have in my MY19 octavia, can i self fit the reversing camera to that model? that i keep seeing people on this site have fitted. But their pictures never looked like my head unit or yours.

Yes you can. It’s the same procedure as it’s always been on the Mk3. One coding change to make and 2 wires for video feed to the radio unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wangarai said:

I have only to change over the USB so Android Auto will work for my wife's phone (I'm an android man) and I will do this tomorrow. 

I have the same unit (different screen) as reworked by @pab567 and agree he is a genius.

Can I ask have you tried your phone with the current usb? Mine works ok for AA but not carplay and I'm trying to understand the variations on 2hat works and why. Mine disconnects on occasion and wander if it's the usb port.

27 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

I have the same unit (different screen) as reworked by @pab567 and agree he is a genius.

Can I ask have you tried your phone with the current usb? Mine works ok for AA but not carplay and I'm trying to understand the variations on 2hat works and why. Mine disconnects on occasion and wander if it's the usb port.

The CarPlay one is just a Made for iPod USB and the white tipped one isn’t. Apple are swines.

Installed OEM pedal covers and door sill protectors. Following advice from other forums, the clutch and brake pedals took 30s each, the accelerator however was an absolute pig to get on. Even when using the handy advice of heating it in hot water. Took lots of leverage, but eventually it went on. Really happy with how they look. 

The door sill covers were easy. Used a degreaser to clean the area before installation, didn't have the matrices as referenced in the booklet, but just took my time eyeballing where the curved ends looked even. Finally I used masking tape to mark where the ends would sit. 

With the pedal covers in place I'm now really considering the Superskoda footrest to make the foot well match.

IMG_20190913_143154_toned.jpg

IMG_20190913_155722_toned.jpg

IMG_20190915_105711.jpg

IMG_20190915_105927.jpg

IMG_20190915_105932.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

As Sasha's comments, the original is fine for Android (great for my Galaxy Note 8), but the new green tipped USB is needed for Apple Carplay. I'd bought the new USB ages ago so I will fit to keep my good lady happy 😁

18 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

The CarPlay one is just a Made for iPod USB and the white tipped one isn’t. Apple are swines.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I rewired my under-seat Kenwood sub to the MIB2 unit (having upgraded from an MIB1 Bolero) and the sound is excellent.

The sub is so much louder with the MIB2 unit (I’ve had to turn down the volume from the MIB1 Bolero setting) and I am enjoying a much fuller sound. I spend about two hours a day in my car and a decent sound is important to me. The Kenwood sub is an excellent upgrade for the Octavia and at sub £100 is a well-priced upgrade 😀

9 hours ago, Wangarai said:

I rewired my under-seat Kenwood sub to the MIB2 unit (having upgraded from an MIB1 Bolero) and the sound is excellent.

The sub is so much louder with the MIB2 unit (I’ve had to turn down the volume from the MIB1 Bolero setting) and I am enjoying a much fuller sound. I spend about two hours a day in my car and a decent sound is important to me. The Kenwood sub is an excellent upgrade for the Octavia and at sub £100 is a well-priced upgrade 😀

Is this an all in one unit driven by some redundant wires or piggy backed off the speaker outputs?

It's a standalone unit that fits under one of the front seats. I've got mine under the driver seat with the control in the drivers convenience box (to the right of the steering wheel).

@CFBScout detailed his install (this really helped me to set mine up) and the thread has some good pictures, and advice on quadlock/wiring from @JohnnyType2: 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I bought new winter-wheels for my Octavia! :D

Dezent TA rims 7x17 and Nokian Snowproof 225/45/17 tires. Always driven studded winter-tires, but was curious to try studless.

C06EEC57-DCBA-4395-92D1-D910A7BC2AD5.thumb.jpeg.cc2af0df6a9ecf1e08a19844f5731a16.jpeg

• Like 1

369993733_Wheelold.thumb.jpg.19310151c4d6864788b3fbfb054d3be9.jpg

Replaced these battered old things...

1982684051_wheelnew.thumb.jpg.438030e9b837c4009e560b87f861ae9b.jpg

With these :) + finally got to do a full wash and wax for the first time in 3 months. (Yes, oxidised brake disc hits my aesthetic gland too - but couldn't 'brake it off' due to 30m drive to and from car wash station at home).

No pics, sadly, as it started raining almost immediately after. One day I might get a nice pic of the car up on this forum!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted some amazon special cnc paddle extensions yesterday.  Aside form one being slightly on the wonk (will remove and refit one day), the back side of them is very flat.  The improvement in shifting is already huge but I think some sort of pad or bead on the back of the paddle would help grab it. 

Any ideas?  I'll get a pick up later if I remember.

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:56, WayTooTall said:

Hit a parked car while avoiding a recovery vehicle that swerved across 2 lanes of traffic.

Thankfully have it all on dashcam and nobody hurt.

What made me laugh was when i moved her after the accident the last warning message was

Top up washer fluid.

Now just hoping chassis is still in alignment

Oh and if you don't have a dashcam. Get one. Too many awful drivers out there who will just drive off.

I am thinking to go for a good one. Which one you recommend to go to. I've been to halford and I got concern if the wiring will be visible! but I had two accidents by third party in the starch of 6months.

I have 2 mobious dashcams with wide angle lenses and super capacitor instead of battery.

One front and one rear.

I have hardwired a 12 volt usb hardwired into fuse box via a piggy back fuse and the wiring hidden behind a pillar and roof lining.

You.have to look hard to see it from the front as it is a tiny camera. Basic but takes a decent recording.

Rear camera again uses a 12v usb  that is wired into rear wiper  wiring.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Between the storms I decided it was nice enough today for a quick wash and polish. I was thinking back to my last light coloured family car and how good it looked when done with AG Super Resin Polish so I had a root in the garage and found a bottle. 

Wash and dry. Polish with Auto Glyn

Take photo before it went dark

Then a quick coat of AG Topcoat Sealer so the next lot of tar spots can stick to that instead of the paintwork. 

image.thumb.png.ace5b4b219db8354ead724d8538a1a46.png

• Like 4

On 21/11/2019 at 08:02, MarkyG82 said:

Fitted some amazon special cnc paddle extensions yesterday.  Aside form one being slightly on the wonk (will remove and refit one day), the back side of them is very flat.  The improvement in shifting is already huge but I think some sort of pad or bead on the back of the paddle would help grab it. 

Any ideas?  I'll get a pick up later if I remember.

How about a row of these kind of things along the back edge -

Screenshot_20200212-175146.png

• Like 1

• 3 years later...