Canton or no Canton ?

Morning All,

I currently have the lovely L&K model with the Canton Sound System. I'm looking to change car and possible move to the SE-L version.

My main requirement is the panoramic roof, but I'd also like it to include the Canton system. Finding a car with both in SE-L form is proving very difficult, so I wonder if any of you have experience on both types of audio system in the Superb or gone from one to the other?

It a used car (not new) I'm after. 

Apologies in advance - you aren't going to like my answer :). I moved the other way (Mk2 without Canton to Mk3 with Canton) and I've spent a fair amount of time as a passenger in a Mk3 without Canton.

Being as objective as possible, I don't think the standard Mk3 sound system is any worse than other manufacturer's similar offerings. But it isn't close to being as good as the Canton. Tone, definition, clarity etc all significantly better with Canton, and from memory you don't get the graphic equalizer on the standard version so you can't tailor it to your preference.

I'd really struggle to go back to standard since having had the Canton TBH. 

• Like 2

I did compare Columbus with/without Canton just over 2 years ago and I did feel the difference between the two was worth the cost.  Two years and two Canton equipped cars later I still think it's a great system.  

• Like 2

Canton is one of my favourite things about my car.  Sound is tremendous, and I really notice the difference in other cars now.

Best I've ever heard is a Bang and Olufsen in a colleague's Audi- that was different class.  Canton not quite as good but it's way better than most.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mickey43 said:

Canton is one of my favourite things about my car.  Sound is tremendous, and I really notice the difference in other cars now.

Best I've ever heard is a Bang and Olufsen in a colleague's Audi- that was different class.  Canton not quite as good but it's way better than most.

That's probably top upgrade yeah! But the cost is 1300-7700€.. Canton offers a lot for its price, the only downside or what I find little lacking is subwoofer. I would prefer little bigger and with deeper bass. The high tones/mid tones sound really good to me, can be  comparable to my professional sound system at home. Compared to standard system, would never buy a car with no upgraded sound system again. 

However, its always up to the person who drivers the car. Some people don't really care about the sound quality. With no sound insulation in the car, the outside noise can ruin audio quality as well so it all depends. 

Thanks for the replies so far...   Oh dear... I missed out on a perfect SE-L with Panoramic Roof, Canton and Heated Front Screen last week.. :sadsmile:

Umm, difficult one, my last Octavia had canton fitted, and since it being written off last month, struggled to find a replacement.

I finally got one without canton, but with the 9.2" system.

Yes the canton was better than standard, but not revolutionary.

3 minutes ago, thompma30 said:

Umm, difficult one, my last Octavia had canton fitted, and since it being written off last month, struggled to find a replacement.

The Canton on the Octavia is a vastly different setup to that found in the Superb.

U can't compare the two Canton systems.

https://www.canton.de/en/skoda-en

10 minutes ago, thompma30 said:

My understanding (based on what I’ve read on here) is that the Canton in the Superb is better than the one fitted to the Octavia.  IIRC Canton themselves developed the system specifically for the Superb. 

• Thanks 1

I can second that. We have an Octavia and Superb in the family, both equipped with Canton systems and the Superb version is significantly better and more powerful.

• Like 1

One of the main requirements for my latest car purchase was a good sound system. Can’t believe how almost every manufacturer put complete crap as standard. 

I’m happy although not blown away by canton in my MY17 superb. Would not accept less in my car.

Canton.

I didn't choose Canton, it came with my demo purchase. However, it plays louder than I can stand with no distortion. I think the subwoofer is a bit lo-fi, but I'm glad it came with my car. It's another reason I try to buy demo models: they usually load them up with extras.

26 minutes ago, Jeppelito said:

Can’t believe how almost every manufacturer put complete crap as standard.

It's how they ramp up the price.

I would judge the Canton to be good, but not great, overall. The subwoofer is a bit ordinary and I don't know how others feel, but the sound always seems overly 'bright' (yes, and I've turned down the treble - a lot...!).

8 hours ago, fencer said:

I would judge the Canton to be good, but not great, overall. The subwoofer is a bit ordinary and I don't know how others feel, but the sound always seems overly 'bright' (yes, and I've turned down the treble - a lot...!).

Yes overly bright here aswell. Did some tweaking yesterday and found turning down treble+mid 4-5 steps while turning up bass 2-3 steps turns out great for electronic dance music. Subwoofer at +1 and front seat optimization. Can probably optimize a bit more.

10 hours ago, fencer said:

Mine experience is exactly the same. But anyway, Canton is much better than standard audio system on Superb. Demo car I tested  had standard audio - after compared it with another car with Canton I had no questions: Canton is a must :)

• Like 1

I would have liked Canton, but it was a pricey upgrade on my SE-L. It was compulsory to take the KESSY system too, which almost doubled the cost.

I have occasional regret but generally find the standard setup to be pretty decent. I've certainly experienced far worse on a vast variety of other cars.

On 01/05/2019 at 09:34, fencer said:

I can second that. We have an Octavia and Superb in the family, both equipped with Canton systems and the Superb version is significantly better and more powerful.

A lot of that will be down to the soundproofing and acoustics rather than the setups. The speakers that are used in each will be the same drivers, I think it’s only the subwoofer that’s different.

5 hours ago, GoneToBeemer said:

A lot of that will be down to the soundproofing and acoustics rather than the setups. The speakers that are used in each will be the same drivers, I think it’s only the subwoofer that’s different.

Yes, I agree there would probably be more soundproofing. However, there is one extra speaker on the front doors of the Superb, compared to the Octavia, and they're placed slightly different in terms of the sound stage (although I expect most of the actual speakers are shared models).

5 hours ago, GoneToBeemer said:

Actually no.

The Superb has not only different number of speakers, they r also of different wattage, and the amplifier is different.

Hence the tuning is also different.

Read the link I posted earlier - it clearly shows the differences.

The Canton is such a significant part of my driving experience that I would now no longer move back to a 'Standard' setup in a car. It's a joy to listen to and focuses on the quality reproduction of sound not just putting some massive subs under the seat and turning it up to 11.

The £500-600 they charge for it as an option is totally worth it IMHO if you are like me and travel a lot of miles up and down the motorway

The noise cancellation properties are also great, it's not true noise cancellation but uses the bass and mid frequencies to its advantage to keep the outside world at bay, you really do notice the difference.

15 hours ago, JR RS said:

Actually no.

The Superb has not only different number of speakers, they r also of different wattage, and the amplifier is different.

Hence the tuning is also different.

Read the link I posted earlier - it clearly shows the differences.

Thanks for that - love a bit of someone on their high horse.