Speed Limiter

I have a 2015 Fabia SE L DSG at the moment which comes with cruise control and a speed limiter as standard.  I am thinking of changing the Fabia for an Octavia.  The one I have seen and test driven  is 18 reg (May 2018) SE spec with a 1.0 litre petrol engine which is fast enough for me.

I understand the Octavia SE has cruise control but don't know if it comes with a speed limiter.  Advice on this (and anything else that may be relevant) from owners on this forum will be welcomed.  Many thanks.

You can’t get a limiter on an Octy with regular CC even if you get the correct switch and plug it in unless you can have the FeC activated to get it to work. As the Octy has never been supplied with CC and a limiter I have no idea if it can be enabled. Ever since my Dad’s Ibiza arrived with a limiter it has got me thinking as I miss this feature from my Mercedes.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ian_feel_keepin_it_reel said:

I regret not specing Acc on mine, although tbh I rarely use the motorway so I doubt I'd get much use out of it. 

As long as the weather isn't extreme then ACC works well on all roads, as long as a reasonable gap is programmed, braking down to zero safely as required and renders a speed limiter superfluous. 

52 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

I'm sure mine has a speed limiter within the computer between the dials...? Mines currently set to 160mph 😄

It’s an adjustable speed warning alert

11 hours ago, Redboy said:

As long as the weather isn't extreme then ACC works well on all roads, as long as a reasonable gap is programmed, braking down to zero safely as required and renders a speed limiter superfluous. 

Only brakes down to zero if you have DSG, if you have a manual gearbox then you get a warning to "Use brake pedal" to bring the car to a halt.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Only brakes down to zero if you have DSG, if you have a manual gearbox then you get a warning to "Use brake pedal" to bring the car to a halt.

I love my ACC with DSG. It's almost self driving. I use mine all the time but I do worry I will 'over use' it and it will break. Should I be worried using it at slow speeds and in start stop traffic? A14 is a bugger

The bing is good, though, to set at, say 130km/h, where all limits are lower than that; I use it a lot on back roads with an 80km/h limit set to 85 or 90. That way I can be "pushing on" but will still be reminded to ease off when it gets to the point that the police start to get interested. The locals are a different matter... 

- Bret

19 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

You can’t get a limiter on an Octy with regular CC even if you get the correct switch and plug it in unless you can have the FeC activated to get it to work. As the Octy has never been supplied with CC and a limiter I have no idea if it can be enabled. Ever since my Dad’s Ibiza arrived with a limiter it has got me thinking as I miss this feature from my Mercedes.

Mmmmmmmm. Interesting. I don't have ACC fitted to my 19 Plate Octavia 245, Just the Normal CC.  I have the Virtual cockpit and I have a Speed Limiter, 

IMG_2352.jpg

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Very interesting, must be a very fresh MY19 thing as there wasn’t one on the system to look up part numbers from for a new stalk when I last checked. Do you have the little button on the bottom of the indicator stalk to change the mode?

22 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Very interesting, must be a very fresh MY19 thing as there wasn’t one on the system to look up part numbers from for a new stalk when I last checked. Do you have the little button on the bottom of the indicator stalk to change the mode?

No, no button under the stalk. To be honest I've never used it. I'm thinking the speed will be set the same way CC is. Next time I'm out I'll give it ago and get back to you. 

I change the mode from CC to limiter by using the right handed thumb wheel on the steer wheel and to get the modes displayed in Maxi dot I press the top of the section next to the thumb wheel above " " View "

One thing I find confusing is I don't have the Anti collision  Radar in the grill yet I have the symbol on the steering wheel. 

Screen shot is from the latest Manual page 232

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 16.48.30.png

Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 16.56.53.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Redboy said:

Where the speed limiter scores is it doesn't need to be re-set after every brake application. I use the limiter on my 1.5TSi DSG Octavia in the 30mph limits around town and the ACC everywhere else.

The only time I didn't have the limiter on, two weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket (36mph) b*stards!  :@

Been out today so I tried the Speed Limiter,  Once you have selected it on Maxi Dot Via the Driver assistance  button on the steering wheel, Activate it by using the CC switch on top of the left stalk  to ON and once you get to the desired speed press the button on the end of the stalk and that sets the speed limit. You can increase/decrease the speed by using the  Minus/plus buttons on the end of the stalk. Turn the switch to OFF on top of the stalk and that deactivates the speed limiter but it still shows in Maxi Dot until you turn it back on via the switch on the stalk.

It work in a similar way do CC but you can drive normally but the car won't exceed the set speed unless you plant your right foot to the floor.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it would be possible to retrofit the speed limiter function? I have a 2018 Octavia with standard cruise control and would love to be able to add the speed limiter to it as my 2017 fabia has it. I find it great for winding back country roads.

I was thinking it might be possible to swap out the indicator stalk to one with the toggle mode button to swap between CC and speed limiter. The accelator pedal already has the 'click' in it for exceeding the limit set. From scrolling through the coding on OBDeleven there is a few options to tell the car it has a speed limiter fitted.....I'm wondering if it could be this simple?

Anyone have any experience with this? would love to here any knowledge about it either way

Also if there is someone out there that can understand part numbers better than me, can you tell me if the below link replacement stalk would work in octavia.....i note it's listed for a superb
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Steering-Column-Switch-Stalk-Skoda-VW-SUPERB-III-3-TOURAN-5Q0953502AH/173948479214?hash=item28802326ee:g:KKEAAOSw0VhdF4W5 

Thanks

On 19/06/2019 at 09:03, PetrolDave said:

I get "use break pedal" on my DSG/ACC equipped MY19. Kinda disappointing as a rented VW Passat with ACC would slow to a stop and kill the engine when in traffic and then automatically start up and drive off as it progressed again.

Octavia however, once the car is coming to a complete stop, if I put my foot on the brake like it asks, it won't set off again, I have to manually press the accelerator and reset the ACC.

• 3 years later...
  • Sponsor
On 18/06/2019 at 19:19, SashaGrace said:

No FEC needed for speed limiter 👀

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but could someone please tell me where i can code the speed limiter in?

I only have cc and lane assist but see it can be done im using obdeleven.

My car is a 68 plate octavia vrs.

Matt

On 20/06/2019 at 19:13, Auric Goldfinger said:

Been out today so I tried the Speed Limiter,  Once you have selected it on Maxi Dot Via the Driver assistance  button on the steering wheel, Activate it by using the CC switch on top of the left stalk  to ON and once you get to the desired speed press the button on the end of the stalk and that sets the speed limit. You can increase/decrease the speed by using the  Minus/plus buttons on the end of the stalk. Turn the switch to OFF on top of the stalk and that deactivates the speed limiter but it still shows in Maxi Dot until you turn it back on via the switch on the stalk.

It work in a similar way do CC but you can drive normally but the car won't exceed the set speed unless you plant your right foot to the floor.  

Did you code it you're self?