Glove box

In the grand scheme of things this is an annoyance, but the glove box door of my 17 plate Suberb pops open if I drive over bumps, looking at the door assembly the door locks, one of the is to short and doesn’t lock in to place when you shut the door, anyone had this problem, I’ll mention it at next service. Ta

Mine's done this too, but I find that giving a good hard shove to close it seems to keep it shut.  Also check what you put in there as there's not much space for little more than a pair of gloves!  It's very easy to overfill it and so it won't shut properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Seen this in another thread.  Is it the left hand side (as you look at it) that doesn't close correctly?  Was/is on mine.  As penpusher says a good firm shove closed seemed to do it.  When you look at the hole where the locking pins is supposed to fit in it looks pretty shoddy (did on mine) almost as though the drill didn't go all the way through.  Only real issue is with giving it a good shove is that over time it needs an even bigger shove, then bigger and so on.  Then you end up taking a run up from the back seat just to get it closed.  Haven't seen any other solutions on here though.

• Haha 1

Yep, left hand side, it’s as if the little plastic latch is to small, doesn’t quite fit in the hole in the dash, I’m going to tape it shut until next service, i  have had  warranty repairs declined in the past because of make shift repairs. Thanks for your advice.

Mine did that yesterday but in fairness it was possibly a little full and also the correct skoda procedure for closing the glove box was not followed, which is two hands on the cover and smash upwards. 

It's little idiosyncrasies like this occurance that blight otherwise a perfectly average car. 

• 4 months later...

Anyone know of an official Skoda service campaign for this problem........or is it just one they hope you won't be too bothered about ???

Have been told I need a new glovebox lid and refused warranty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 01/08/2019 at 10:33, Penpusher said:

Mine's done this too, but I find that giving a good hard shove to close it seems to keep it shut.  Also check what you put in there as there's not much space for little more than a pair of gloves!  It's very easy to overfill it and so it won't shut properly.

lmao...I'd love that to be the Skoda fix. Absolutely t*at the thing shut.

On 22/01/2020 at 16:09, danmooney said:

Sorry for late reply but i have had mine replaced under warranty within the first 18 months and now it is doing it again. My car is coming up 4 years in April.

part replacements should have 24 months warranty? Maybe it's 12....but I'd check 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently noticed that mine's been behaving itself recently, I'm not having to give it a hard shove and it's not coming open when I'm driving along.  Also, the lid seems to be flush with the rest of the dash now, so perhaps slamming it a few times has fixed it!

17 hours ago, Penpusher said:

I've recently noticed that mine's been behaving itself recently, I'm not having to give it a hard shove and it's not coming open when I'm driving along.  Also, the lid seems to be flush with the rest of the dash now, so perhaps slamming it a few times has fixed it!

I have noticed that if I close my glove box with my hand pushing at the side nearest the "opening button" it looks slightly less well closed at the far side (i.e. not quite in line), but if I close it by pushing at the side opposite the "opening button" it looks in line.

To lend some perspective the previous BMW F10 forum I frequented people were having serious problems with big ticket items, EGR failures, occasional fires, water ingress, corroding doors and timing chain woes.

What they would give for our wonky glovebox!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steviedakota said:

To lend some perspective the previous BMW F10 forum I frequented people were having serious problems with big ticket items, EGR failures, occasional fires, water ingress, corroding doors and timing chain woes.

What they would give for our wonky glovebox!

And don’t even go onto the Full Fat Range Rover forum! 

• 2 years later...
On 04/01/2020 at 09:43, MarioVrs said:

Common issue had mine replaced under warranty

Hi,

Skoda extended warranty won’t replace my glovebox which is suffering with exactly the same problem. I could really do with knowing some details of dealerships and customers they have replaced this for for you guys. Would you mind sending me details of dealerships that did this please so I can argue that they should be covering it as they have for other customers. This is their reply.

Thanks

MC

We have now carried out a further review of this case at your request, the claim decision remains as a refusal, the brand (SKODA) consider the failing part to be a bodywork component, this is confirmed by their workshop manual and parts ordering system. 

Technically our decision represents the last stage of our process.

Hi mate, well i had mine replaced at Motormall Jersey but with mine the fault was 2 little pins on side of the lid that lock the lid in place and they were stuck...tbh i find the outcom of your issue bit appaling from your dealer. Is there not another dealership near you?

On 29/01/2020 at 11:00, drewellis said:

lmao...I'd love that to be the Skoda fix. Absolutely t*at the thing shut.

part replacements should have 24 months warranty? Maybe it's 12....but I'd check 👍

If it’s replaced under manufacturers warranty it will only have warranty until the end of the original warranty period 

• 6 months later...

Hi all.

I have the same issue with my Skoda Superb 2017 glove compartment opening by itself. The little catches are very lazy at springing out, so I need to check the springs inside or the little gear that gives them parallel motion.

I'm able to release the top of the glove box, but does anyone know how to release the hinges so I can take the whole thing out? Do they pop out? Or do you need to tease out the spigot of the hinge? I don't want to break anything.

Pictures attached. Thanks very much for any help.

Skoda Superb 2017 glove box 4.jpg

Skoda Superb 2017 glove box 3.jpg

Skoda Superb 2017 glove box 2.jpg

Skoda Superb 2017 glove box 1.jpg

• 3 months later...

@abcd-abcddid you get anywhere with this?
I'm looking to embark on a DIY fix

TIA

On 22/10/2022 at 17:51, abcd-abcd said:

Hi all.

I have the same issue with my Skoda Superb 2017 glove compartment opening by itself. The little catches are very lazy at springing out, so I need to check the springs inside or the little gear that gives them parallel motion.

I'm able to release the top of the glove box, but does anyone know how to release the hinges so I can take the whole thing out? Do they pop out? Or do you need to tease out the spigot of the hinge? I don't want to break anything.

2 hours ago, mattbuzz said:

@abcd-abcddid you get anywhere with this?
I'm looking to embark on a DIY fix

TIA

Sadly, I did not. No-one replied at all unfortunately. I'd still like to find out how to take the glove box out/apart...

FYI  - there is a duplicate thread here - 
also I believe videos/guides exist for glovebox removal, although the stuff I've seen is fairly complex, with removal of CD unit wiring.

• 3 months later...
On 22/10/2022 at 17:51, abcd-abcd said:

Hi all.

Sorry to resurrected this, but my glove box has just half fallen out when I've opened it and it appears the hinge pin (as arrowed in abcd's pics above) nearest the middle of the car has disappeared completely.

I'm flummoxed as the only place I can see it could go would be into the passenger footwear, bit there's no sign of it at all.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement without going to the dealers?

On 13/05/2023 at 13:34, Ed-Preston said:

Sorry to resurrected this, but my glove box has just half fallen out when I've opened it and it appears the hinge pin (as arrowed in abcd's pics above) nearest the middle of the car has disappeared completely.

I'm flummoxed as the only place I can see it could go would be into the passenger footwear, bit there's no sign of it at all.

Any ideas where I can get a replacement without going to the dealers?

I think the part I’m looking for is number 5 in the attached picture, anyone have a part number or a source other than the dealers? They want £16 for two ~50mm long plastic pins, grrrr.

IMG_7621.jpeg

I had this problem with it falling open, but I cured it by taking the Owners Manual out and putting it in the drawer under passenger seat. It doesn't like a lot of weight.

• Like 1

I did the same.

On 18/05/2023 at 19:50, BillyParker said:

I had this problem with it falling open, but I cured it by taking the Owners Manual out and putting it in the drawer under passenger seat. It doesn't like a lot of weight.

From what I can see the door has distorted slightly (heat?) which has lead to one of the pins not lining up with it's slot when closed.

• Like 1