Amundsen MIB2 Firmware Update

Hi there @pab567, looks like you're the star of this thread! (wonder if there could be some other ways to make your life easier??) 

anyhow, I'd like to make a christmas "gift" to my brother-in-law who recently got a 2016 octavia based on my recommendation... As a matter of fact, I'd like to upgrade his infotainment and that's how Ianded on this forum :) 

He's got an Amundsen MIB2 device (so it appears from my internet research) and "ECE A1 2020/2021" map is currently downloading from the official updateportal.skoda-auto.com.

And the thing is: I'd like to know if:

- such latest newest navigation data requires a firmware upgrade? 

- a newer firmware version could somehow make the device apple carplay compatible? (the menu currently only shows mirrorlink for now - with mention that an activation key is required... :nerd: and which doesn't work with iOS devices anyhow apparently).

Details for the device are as follows: 

Model number: 5Q0035864A

Hardware: H25

Software: 0245

now is this piece of hardware upgradable to become carplay/app-connect compatible? (if so, I'd very much like to have the link in PM :))
or do I definitely need to search ebay for more recent skoda infotainment hardware that could make that wish come true? (I'm not afraid of going deeper, if VCDS reconfig is required or so)

Thanks a lot !

1 minute ago, pab567 said:

No, firmware upgrade is not required to use latest maps. BTW: there is a newer maps version available here.

You should have SmartLink in touch screen menu - what happens when want to enter it?

Thanks for the link for the even newer map :) 

Regarding Smartlink, I get a message which translated from french gives : 
"SmartLink"
You can activate the function with an activation key.
Please contact your dealership

Hi, 

Can anyone help me with this error? 

I try to update my unit and i get this error. 

I formatted SD card FAT32, put all the files directly into the SD card but same error. 

Thanks

IMG_20201203_201821.jpg

3 minutes ago, Phlo87 said:

Hi, 

Can anyone help me with this error? 

I try to update my unit and i get this error. 

I formatted SD card FAT32, put all the files directly into the SD card but same error. 

Thanks

IMG_20201203_201821.jpg

Please push den menu button several times. Then you get in a hidden menu. Then use the update funktion and it will work.

I succeeded finally. I had to copy all the files directly into SD card. Before this, files were in a folder with the update name and thats why files were not detected by the unit. 

Thanks all for your help. 

• Like 1

Hi, I have this unit in a MY2016 Scout. I would like to upgrade to the latest official firmware as a first step, and identify the HW manufacturer so I can then patch to add the FEC/SWaP.

thank you very much in advance for help!

Cheers,

Jon.

20201208_123640.jpg

20201208_124641.jpg

Hi again, 

I tried to update my infotainment to the latest version (478) through a USB key, but it didn't do anything. Just "reading usb device". I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because I put all the folders with their files into the usb root, but the system doesn't detect the new version. 

Any help, please? 

20201210_112247.jpg

20201210_112129.jpg

4 minutes ago, Txdriver said:

Hi again, 

I tried to update my infotainment to the latest version (478) through a USB key, but it didn't do anything. Just "reading usb device". I don't know what I'm doing wrong, because I put all the folders with their files into the usb root, but the system doesn't detect the new version. 

Any help, please? 

20201210_112247.jpg

20201210_112129.jpg

Try to push the menu button several times and start the update again.

I have this unit in my Octavia 2018.
Can someone please send a link to the update (if there is one).

What is the main benefits of upgrading?
Is it mostly bugfixes or can there be new functions?
Why isn´t the online-update working (got an error-message)?

20201211_104331.jpg

Hi guys, 

I wanted to update my mib but it didnt work. I tried everything. (hold the menu button then upgrade my software, use sd card format it and then install it but it sidnt work.

IMG_20201211_143636.jpg

IMG_20201211_143619.jpg

Is there an update for this one at all please? (and instructions if you have them)

Also what does the update alter too? is it just logos etc or add more features? Never had a car with an updateable head unit before :biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks

IMG_20191101_153220.jpg

On 10/12/2020 at 12:19, gerstemann said:

Try to push the menu button several times and start the update again.

Nothing changed. 

And I have no idea of what's happening and why it's not working.

Reading USB device, forever. After a while I wave my hand over the screen and that's it, like if no USB was plugged in. 

20201215_061434.jpg

20201215_061449.jpg

5 hours ago, pab567 said:

@golf2 - don't be lazy, you can download maps from official Skoda Update portal, just google to find it :) SW download link sent by PM

Thank you for the link!

I already tried getting maps from the update portal but I wasn't sure if they would be the correct ones as my head unit is upgraded and different to what is linked to my VIN number. Are the maps the same for all head units (Amudsen, Columbus etc)?

Thanks again! Really appreciate all your help on this forum.