What would you change on your S3?

Realise I have not been here long, but I have come across one thing I would definitely change on my S3 ('18 Sportline 280 4x4) in my short ownership period to date.
The wash wiper reservoir fill location...:

...just a tad awkward to fill from that's all.....IMO :-)

Needless to say, as this is my only gripe so far, the car is doing really really well :-)

S3 Wash wipe resevior location.PNG

You can get a new filler bottle cap:

https://www.theskodashop.co.uk/products/lid-funnel-for-windscreen-washer-tank

For my car, apart from getting rid of the vibrations in the front doors, I would make it feel more eager in ‘Normal’ mode. 

I think that both throttle and DSG gearbox have been tuned to be smoother which makes sense in a Superb but the Sportline should feel sportier as standard. I know I could put it in sports mode (or use individual mode) but it should be sportier as standard. To that end, I’d like the ability to custom tune the interior lighting for the modes (for me, green for eco, blue for normal and red for sport). 

These are minor points though. A great all-rounder overall. 

• Like 1

I would swap the automatic wiper system for  proper manual adjustment - this piece of rubbish never works properly, wiping either too much or too little whatever the circumstances, and often seeming to be totally random. Before we got the Superb my wife had a Mazda6 with auto wipers, which were as bad as the Superb's, and my Mazda6 MPS had the manual system (even though it was the top of the 6 range) which could be adjusted to perfection for any weather conditions. I think it might be auto wipers which finally tipped my mental balance over the edge, although she has other theories.

After about a year and a half owning my Sportline+ 272, I would like the following to be possible/changed:
1. Stop/start to stay deactivated until manually reactivated

2. Drive mode to stay where you select it after turning the engine off

3. Linear throttle pedal response (or at least mode selection option)

3. Skoda Connect not be be subscription based - nice to have but refuse to pay for it

4. Low windscreen washer warning not to be a persistent yellow triage at the top of the VC binnacle (very distracting. Yes, Skoda, I know it's low, but there's enough left for the journey home!)

5. Smart Light Assist on the headlights to be much more accurate and speedy (I know others here are satisfied, but I've had to deactivate it as it was dazzling other drivers)

6. A sportier tyre to be fitted to Sportline models as OE fitment

7. A more "standard" tyre size from factory

8. +1 on the auto wipers - they can be hit and miss. Constant rain is okay, but during intermittent showers or light precipitation they seem to struggle 

This may seem a long list, but all relatively minor or fixable during ownership. 

Love the car and can't wait for the warranty to be closer to expiring to go for Revo Stage 1 and fit a pedal box. She's a keeper!

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, unclerichy said:

I'm with you on 1 and 3.

My routine when getting in ends with turning off stop/start.

Pedal boxes are an option but then it's the faff of insurance companies accepting it.

Hi.

If you ever need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

On my 2018 1.4Tsi SE estate

+1 for stop start switch off. Owned since new and I can count on both hands the times I have left it on - stop start traffic jams pretty much.

Better air con. Always seems just adequate and no more at cooling.

Don't think my car has the auto windscreen feature or if it has I turned it off. Having driven a few auto wipe cars at work they are ****e. Prefer two speed manual with adjustable intermittent as on my car.

On 19/08/2020 at 16:30, ArisaigDavid said:

I would swap the automatic wiper system for  proper manual adjustment - this piece of rubbish never works properly, wiping either too much or too little whatever the circumstances, and often seeming to be totally random. Before we got the Superb my wife had a Mazda6 with auto wipers, which were as bad as the Superb's, and my Mazda6 MPS had the manual system (even though it was the top of the 6 range) which could be adjusted to perfection for any weather conditions. I think it might be auto wipers which finally tipped my mental balance over the edge, although she has other theories.

In the Octavia, you can change the wipers from automatic to manual in the Car menu of the infotainment. You then use the sensitivity rocker switch to adjust the frequency of the manual wipes. I’d suspect the Superb is the same. 

Edited by SC03OTT
  • Like 1

I’ve had mine about three years now, and have changed more than a few things in the meantime.

Of the top off my head, in no particular order:

- Swapped out the standard chrome front grille for the Sportline one.

- Swapped out the steering wheel for the Sportline one.

- Retrofitted the digital dashboard (well, I had this done since I didn’t feel comfortable doing it myself and don’t have the necessary software and dongle).

- Added a stainless steel lip to the boot.

- Added a Racechip XLR Throttle box.

- Added spacers (12mm at the front, 15 at the rear).

- Changed the wiper fluid cover for the new one with the funnel built in.

- Changed the lights in the door for brighter white ones (superskoda)

- Changed the lights in the boot lid for the brighter ones (superskoda)

- Installed the rubber tunnel cover for the footwells at the rear.

- Made more than a few adaptations via VCP.

There’s probably more than that, but that’s pretty much all I can think about right now.

For me :

- S&S not able to shut the engine down before complete stop.

- Possibility to memorize last S&S setting

- Same with DCC mode

- A bit harder setting for suspensions in Normal mode

- A 245HP TDI engine version.

others are minor things to me.

What I find bizarre is I get the top of the range Columbus infotainment system but no reversing camera as standard. A strange omission on a 2019 car that cost £39,000 new when our other car a Skoda Karoq SEL has a reversing camera plus front/rear parking sensors as standard and it was £25,000 including metallic paint (before discount) in January 2018.:mmm:

I think my token gripes are available on certain models:

The ability to change the colour of the ambient lighting 

The ability to change the colour of the display, speedo etc

A better selection of car colours. Boy are they dull

Not available:

A light on the dash to show when the dipped lights have come on.

I wish Skoda would make friends with Garmin, my old portable garmin is so much better than the Skoda version. 

Minor gripes. It's the best car I've had

Edited by LordTyrion

The width or position of the drivers seat or pedals relative to each other.  I've had my car over 7 months and still not got a totally comfortable driving position.  Perhaps not helped by choosing manual transmission. 

Had my Business Grey 280 over 2 years now and following things are what I'd change/alter

1- Stop/Start deactivation option

2- bigger vertical adjustment of steering wheel (whichever way i set it its still in way and i end up not seeing full dials)

3-exhaust- i know it's totally different breed of car than Golf r, Audi S3 or Cupra but more aggressive sound in Sport mode would be welcome

4- full LED bulbs everywhere in car except headlights (quite happy with xenons, but halogen ****ty bulbs for reverse in flagship car is a bit...)

5- better sound proofing inside cabin

6- more of a wish/dream but would only love if there was bigger engine option in petrol ( 3.6 from mk2 or 3.0tfsi like in S4) 

Despite all above i still love my car and think its a fantastic piece of kit

As mentioned in my review elsewhere in this forum, I really struggle to find things I don’t like / would change on my Superb.

1) the DCC not holding the last position is definitely on the list

2)the standard P7 tyres are definitely not good (but entirely within my power to change )

3)it’s a shame the steering column adjustment isn’t  electric too and tied into the memory seat position. Not a massive problem as it’s      only myself and SWMBO who drive but it would be cool to have the steering wheel adjust automatically in conjunction with the seat.

4) (the biggie) Have an electric motor with 150 bhp instead of the Diesel engine, with a battery giving a 300 mile real world range and minimum 100 KWh  recharge speed capability on DC chargers.

all the other aspects of the car - including the stop start that cuts out before you stop - are things that don’t bother me, although I can see how the S S system could annoy people. 

Edited by FatWolfie
Typo

On 22/08/2020 at 07:52, SC03OTT said:

In the Octavia, you can change the wipers from automatic to manual in the Car menu of the infotainment. You then use the sensitivity rocker switch to adjust the frequency of the manual wipes. I’d suspect the Superb is the same. 

You, Sir, are a genius! I have just done what you suggested and it works, although the maximum wipe frequency is quite slow. That may be because I've only tested it on the driveway in the dry. Hopefully it is still speed-sensitive, and will improve when I'm actually driving in the rain - since I'm in Scotland, I should be able to test that any minute now! Many thanks.

1 hour ago, ArisaigDavid said:

Hopefully it is still speed-sensitive, and will improve when I'm actually driving in the rain

No, it's not. I think there are four positions on the intermittent wipe switch. If the fastest is not fast enough, flick the lever up one or two positions. 

I've just come across another "annoyance" - turning the AC OFF requires you to go in to the menu screen to do so, leaving the need then, to make more menu/screen selections to revert to the previous screen. 

It would be good if the AC control screen auto-reverted back to where you were before opening the controls. 

She's still a keeper! 😉

1 minute ago, Toon99 said:

I've just come across another "annoyance" - turning the AC OFF requires you to go in to the menu screen to do so, leaving the need then, to make more menu/screen selections to revert to the previous screen. 

It would be good if the AC control screen auto-reverted back to where you were before opening the controls. 

She's still a keeper! 😉

That used to bug me but then I found if you turn the central blower dial anticlockwise it eventually turns the AC off. 

26 minutes ago, DB72 said:

That used to bug me but then I found if you turn the central blower dial anticlockwise it eventually turns the AC off. 

Cheers @DB72 I will try that.

This is becoming an informative thread for newbies like me. 

Mine has an issue while using Wide open throttle positions, Where i get a prominent squeal from the N/S/F of the vehicle.

This seems to have a knock on affect on whether i make my own tea or not.

Actually, NOPE, Nothing i can think of changing. 

• Haha 2

For me the only change I'd like is a torque convertor instead of the electro-mechanical DSG clutches.

I can make a smooth take off with the DSG setup, but it requires thought.

If it is a quick re-start (say I've missed the amber light and have to move off pronto on green) then it's always a jerk as the drive engages.

I also find it tricky to reverse parallel park and straighten up without jerky forward and back moves.

I know that is to do with the auto-brake system being on, but it's difficult to remember that is the cause while parking, and switch it off.

A torque converter is completely smooth in all the above scenarios and just gives a better driving experience.

I also felt less guilt sitting at lights with the car in drive than I do with the DSG.

Despite what others have posted on here previously, I just can't shake the notion that the DSG clutch is "dragging" whist stopped in drive and will suffer premature wear as a result.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 17:38, DB72 said:

The width or position of the drivers seat or pedals relative to each other.  I've had my car over 7 months and still not got a totally comfortable driving position.  Perhaps not helped by choosing manual transmission. 

I've had mine 18 months and still can't get comfortable. I have the DSG so I wouldn't say it is anything to do with how many pedals it has.

Just had a Passat as a hire car for a week on holiday. I found the seats more comfortable (no pain in the underside of my leg) but in every other respect the Superb is as good, if not better than the Passat, however, I have pretty much made the decision that the Superb is going. Just haven't decided what to replace it with yet.

9 minutes ago, budster said:

I've had mine 18 months and still can't get comfortable. I have the DSG so I wouldn't say it is anything to do with how many pedals it has.

The difference a DSG would make for me is that I could set the seat further back, because at the moment my right leg wants me to be further away from the pedals but my left foot needs to be able to push the clutch all the way down.

And just incase it helps you to try, I have also found that if I position my right heel further to the left (as in line with the left half of the brake pedal) I can get more comfortable.  It probably sounds a bit bizarre to have my right heel all the way across there but I think it helps keep my right leg/hip straighter, and my feet are big enough that I can still reach the accelerator properly.

2 hours ago, DB72 said:

The difference a DSG would make for me is that I could set the seat further back, because at the moment my right leg wants me to be further away from the pedals but my left foot needs to be able to push the clutch all the way down.

And just incase it helps you to try, I have also found that if I position my right heel further to the left (as in line with the left half of the brake pedal) I can get more comfortable.  It probably sounds a bit bizarre to have my right heel all the way across there but I think it helps keep my right leg/hip straighter, and my feet are big enough that I can still reach the accelerator properly.

Hmm, that pesky clutch! 

That does sound a strange position but I suppose worth a try, I've tried every combination of seat position but no joy.