Real world VRS economy

Hi all.

I'm looking to make the switch from my MKII VRS TFSI estate into a MKIII VRS estate sometime early next year so I just wanted to see what peoples experiences were with real world MPG figures for the MKIII VRS, both petrol and diesel as I am still undecided what to go for.

For context, I now have a 34 mile round commute to work after a recent house move, with two long duel carriageway stints (hopefully DPF friendly if I go for the diesel). I also use the car for family holidays in the UK several times a year, annual milage is around the 10k mark.

At the end of the day you dont own a VRS to sit watching MPG figures all day, however, running costs are still important long term. I appreciate the petrol is going to be less frugal than the diesel, and it costs more to tax, but is the TSI engine noticeably more efficient than the old TFSI engine in the MK II. I'd prefer to stay with the petrol if I can but the lower running costs of the diesel may well prove tempting as I will run this car (as I have with my current one) for at least 6 to 7 years.

All advice is much appreciated.

I get roughly between 45mpgs and upto 60mpgs on a long run in my 184 VRS DSG Diesel. Road tax is cheap too. I know some owners get 40mpg plus in their petrols. I would go for a drive in a diesel VRS and see which you prefer.

• Like 1

I cannot answer the MPG question as i do not own one but am interested in others replies, one other thing to take into account though with the how out of fashion diesel has become, the govt could well introduce all manner of punishments for those who own oil burners in the future, it has already been looked at in London with the newer congestion charging figures........ consider how the landscape may change for diesel going forward. it is something we may not be able to forsee.

• Like 1

Mine should still appear in my Fuelly below.  That's on a TSI mapped to c.300bhp, 29.5 mpg over 21k miles.  Low because I don't drive economically, and my commute was four miles of nose to tail traffic.  On a 34 mile commute, I'd expect to see late 30's, and on a run, I'd get it up in the low 40's without trying.

It's a peach of an engine in my opinion B)  Very addictive after being mapped (Revo stage 1).

Gaz

Edited by Gaz_
  • Like 1

I do an 18 mile cross country route, all rural. 38-40 is achievable. Without trying.

I've just done 150 mile mororway run with kids and boot packed to the ceiling. Car currently has fault causing poor economy.

Got 36mpg

Long term average is 36 - TSi DSG

Edited by steved83
Add model

On a 245 vrs I get 36 to low 40 on a run. High 20s on short trips and driving in a spirited fashion. Diesel on mainstream cars on the way out IMO as well as not that much fun. I’ve had diesel vrs in mk2 and never again as petrol so much more fun and not too expensive to run . 

I’ve had my 2015 tdi for about 3 months and 3000miles, average mpg I’ve that time is around 45-46, mainly working from home so very short trips, when I am in the office my commute is 24 miles and I get around 55mpg then. Travelled down to Cornwall on saturday 300miles and got 50mpg. 

2016 VRS TDi 4x4 DSG wagon- probs the least efficient diesel VRS version. 

51.66 mpg best - long journeys

42.84 mpg ave over 55k miles @80% highway

32.39 mpg worst - mostly city

Always brimming the tank from pretty much empty and measuring from fuel added vs miles driven between fills and sticking to speed limits.

Dash indication reads 2.15 mpg too high on average.

Fuel cost approx £0.15/mile

VED at £145 pa but that’s bugger all in the grand scheme. 

£8k spent for 55k miles traveled. VPower all the way!

Its not blisteringly quick off the mark but plenty quick and fun enough on twisty B roads. Just very occasionally I wished for more acceleration to pass otherwise its a great all round Swiss Army knife of a car. 

Edited by BigEjit

I have a 40 mile commute on single carriageway A-roads and got into the low 40's mpg consistently with mixed driving while using my 2015 TSI 220. It was a very enjoyable drive too.

I have a TDi 4x4 Karoq now and don't get much better at ~46 mpg.

46 mile round trip commute (or was pre Covid) and usually made low 40s. Long term average 37mpg with shorter trips at weekend. Now it barely goes above 30 but my mileage has dropped massively, a tank of fuel lasts a month now instead of a week.

2017 TDI hatch - averages 46-50 most days on short to medium runs, combination of normal driving and using the torque. I like the day to day usability & performance of the diesel, I find it more usable than my previous petrol one, though the petrol is great also.

There's no doubt diesel is on the way out, you'd be daft to by a new one now but it has many years left.

All down to what suits you

10 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

About 30 ish around town 

Low 40s on a long motorway run 

Same here, petrol obvs. 

If economy mpg is your aim go diesel. The petrol is nice to drive and better for someone like me who does a lot of short trips and the occasional longer run. I switched from diesel partly because of DPF issues on my last car.

Thanks everyone, really, really useful stuff, I appreciate your input.

I am really not enamoured with a move over to diesel if I'm truly honest as the TFSI has been a hoot to use and I have not been particularly happy with diesels I've had in the past as second cars (the worst by far was a 2.0 SDI Golf.....dreadful beyond words!). The DPF issues that seem to be rife also play a big part in the decision making process in regards to the diesel as well.

I will have to get the calculator out to do the longterm sums, but I think it seems that I may well be able to achieve high 30's even low 40's average on my drive if with the petrol, which is manageable from a cost perspective and certainly a lot better than I currently get!

At the moment I think I'm willing to take the hit on the additional running costs to get a car I know I will be happier long term to drive. Lower running costs are always good as there is always money to spend elsewhere, but if I can stick with petrol I will.

I'll drive both before making a final decision.....do people think that the tax bands for diesel will be adjusted in the coming years as oil burners are further ostracised ?

My previous MY18 TDI VRS 184 was regularly getting 50+mpg; I have recently got a MY18 TSI VRS 230; this car which lived its previous life in London is now getting 38-40mpg when on longer runs.

10 hours ago, rawcas said:

I'll drive both before making a final decision.....do people think that the tax bands for diesel will be adjusted in the coming years as oil burners are further ostracised ?

I can't see it happening tbh.

If they were going to they would've implemented something in the last shake up of VED where now everyone is pretty much £145.

I'm quite happy driving around briskly, hitting mid-40s with £30 a year tax. I came out of a 1.4 85ps petrol Ibiza into my new VRS back in the day, at the time diesel was fashionable and petrol was hitting £1:30 sometimes too. So mine was an economical angle of choice. 

I know it's not a direct comparison, but look at the uptake in electric vehicles, the infrastructure isn't there for everyone to drop petrol or diesel and mass exodus into one at present and they've been the next big thing for about 5yrs? 

I'm keeping my 65-plate which has recently hit 60k for another two years or so. I'd like to get it to 100k but already Autocar is tempting me with new models which take my fancy.

Will I be getting diesel next time? Nope. Only for the basis that if the stupid ruling of combustion engines comes into force I want something with petrol powaaar (new i30N is on my list or a Type R) before we're all powered by Duracell Drive batteries.

Similar to what others have said, you have to take the hit in terms of costs if you go with petrol as you know, but smiles I imagine are in abundance...they weren't for me in my last petrol as 0-60 took about 11s with a tailwind on a downhill! 

• Like 1

I think I'd still go petrol with that mileage.

I'm pleasantly surprised how eonomical the TSI is.

I do loads of short journeys (sub 4 miles) in mine now due to now WFH and I'm still averaging 31mpg over a tank, even with a heavy foot.

On your sort of journeys I'd easily expect 40mpg plus.  

Hell, on anything over about 10 miles on either motorway or reasonable flowing steady speed roads I see over 40mpg average.

I never get the whole tax argument.  So many people seem to think that £30 tax is a great incentive for buying a car.  The TSI is £160.   So the difference is £130 a year, which on a reasonably new car is a pretty insignificant cost.   If you're worried about £11 a month, best not think about depreciation...  

Take into account regens on the diesel ..... Whilst mine was a diesel Scout, on my trip to work (rural commute, 40 miles each way) i would hit 55mpg consistently, unless it was doing a regen in which case it dropped to around 50mpg.  Iwould say it regen'd approx every 350 ish miles ...... Its like watching money burn :@