Anyone actually happy with their MK4? 😂

So I understand the issues facing some MK4 owners and I'm in no way trying to diminish them, but are there any members out there not having all these issues and actually happy with their car? I have a vRS on order and I'm trying to look at the positives. Cheers all 👍🏼

Overall yes I am happy with mine. 

I have two issues:

1) High Beam Assist. There seems to be no agreement as to whether or not this can be added to my SE L First Edition. It would be nice but it is not really a problem to switch the stalk when necessary. I had it on my Superb and there were times when I had to override it anyway.

2) Km on the Sat Nav. This is a known issue which Skoda are working on - allegedly! More often than not I would use Google Maps anyway.

Car is lovely to drive and economical. Unfortunately due to the pandemic I have not done the miles I would usually do but before the second lockdown (?) end of October we did a long return trip from Essex to Yorkshire without any issues.

• Like 2

Very happy with mine too. Couple of minor software niggles but as above they're being fixed. 

Did people know you can use voice control to turn on the heated seat? 

Loving driving it. Up to nearly 500 miles now thanks for being back at work. 

• Like 1

I’ve just (as in two days ago) made what feels like a quantum leap from a 14 plate S spec mk2 FL Superb 1.4Tsi hatch to a 6-month old Mk4 Octavia SEL FE 1.5Tsi estate. Quantum leap in terms of Infotainment system - taking me a while to get my head around it.

First impressions are its a lovely car. Done less than 100 miles so far but on a 25 mile [essential] journey was very comfortable, quiet and fuel efficient. Absolutely love the adaptive cruise control - speed limiter. Far superior to my previous basic cruise control on the Superb. Auto headlights on when it rains is a nice feature and the blind spot sensor/warning is useful reassurance too. I could go on about the improvements over what was a very good and enjoyable Superb - but that was 7 years old with tech dating back a bit further.

Happy with my purchase so far. Early days, yes; and I’m not sure how many of my Infotainment ‘anomalies’ are down to my ineptitude or software glitches or bit of both. For example, if my key doesn’t move the seat to my preferred position, well, I could live with that ‘cos I just need to press a button. A whole lot easier than having to move it back and down manually before I can physically get in the car (I’m quite tall, my wife isn’t... )

• Like 1

Yes, definitely. Done almost 7000 km now (quite ok for 'work from home' times) and since the dealer updated the ECUs and errors stopped popping up, it is a very nice car to drive or to be driven :) I just hope no major (mechanical) issues start appearing anytime soon.

Love my New VRS class car coming from Superb Sportline 191 190 bhp, the VRS is a far superior drive to the Superb far better suspension(stiffer/sporty) and I loved my Superb.

Yes the infotainment system bit buggy and slow at times but an update will sort that, having to constantly pressing the climate to SYNC is a pain . The digital cockpit is class so many features to play around with. Road noise is a slightly louder on some roads but not intrusive.

I have it 3 weeks and 1400 klm on the clock, using it for work 1 day a week travelling to our other factory so nice few spins lol 

As a car I love the vRS and it's great to drive but the infotainment system is pi$$ing me off no end!!! The novelty of the virtual cockpit wears off after a couple of weeks!

If I could have my Superb back I would!! or at least swap the infotainment system over to the Octy!

Most annoying thing at the moment is that the car doesn't automatically connect to the phone on Bluetooth. It's probably me doing something wrong

but haven't been able to sort it yet. Even when the phone is connected how do I select someone to call from the steering wheel functions.

I think I will be getting another Superb before long as it 'just worked'.

All these technical woes with Mk4s certainly seem to be concerning. Since the announcement of the New Octavia, I have always considered the Mk4 my next car.

However reading all the threads regarding glitches with, overly complicated tech, I feel that keeping hold of my reliable 4 and half year old Octavia 3 might be a better course of action, for the time being. 

• Like 1

Don't forget that your average buyer/fleet user won't come to a forum like this unless they have a problem or need advice, so the balance of +ve to -ve posts will always skew to those with potential issues. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, just music said:

Don't forget that your average buyer/fleet user won't come to a forum like this unless they have a problem or need advice, so the balance of +ve to -ve posts will always skew to those with potential issues. 

Yea I know you're spot on with that statement, but I thought it would be nice to hear some positives from those that are members from an enthusiasts perspective 😊👍🏼

• Like 1

Would be also good if everyone writes down the month when car was build. This way we can see if things are getting better or not. According to posts on this forum, I would say major issues are present on the early cars till around October.

8 minutes ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Would be also good if everyone writes down the month when car was build. This way we can see if things are getting better or not. According to posts on this forum, I would say major issues are present on the early cars till around October.

Sounds a good idea - but a numpty question: how do I find the build date for my car? (I know it was registered in September ‘20)

Yeah, you can't find the exact date of build in an easy way (as far as I know). Especially if you bought a used car or a car from stock. Unfortunately.

You can get it if you buy access to erWin https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do This is how I got the exact date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheUltraRunner said:

Yeah, you can't find the exact date of build in an easy way (as far as I know). Especially if you bought a used car or a car from stock. Unfortunately.

You can get it if you buy access to erWin https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do This is how I got the exact date.

It's also written on the paperwork on the car. At least, that's how I discovered mine was from end of June so 8-month in stock :D

• Like 1

I've had my Octavia hatch 1.5SE-L First Edition since October '20 and have covered 6,000 miles.

Overall, I'm happy; I'm mainly using motorways and A roads, but I'm averaging 52mpg which, coming from a diesel, is way better than I was expecting.

It's roomy, versatile, fairly comfy and the apparent complexity of the infotainment reduces with familiarity - but the occasional first gear 'kangarooing' is totally unacceptable and is surely not beyond fixing?

And I still get occasional issues of not being able to connect my iPhone via bluetooth or apple CarPlay and there are occasional random glitches (Skoda SOS calls notified but not taking place, sat nav info on mains screen but unable to show on virtual display and various others), but these seem to be reducing in frequency.

I do think that the product has been pushed out too early and that the customers are being used as test mules and guinea pigs.

Yet do I regret leasing it? No, I don't. Maybe I have low expectations, but the bad bits are merely annoyances to me and outweighed by the good.

I own RS version, almost max spec, and despite few minor software bugs (like spotify resume bug on apple carplay, occasional slow touch after ignition) and very silent exhaust - it is amazing car.
Love it, and upgrading after MK2.5 RS, it is like I space traveled into the future. 10/10

• Love it! 1

I don't think in the age of spangly infotainment there's such a thing as 100 percent happy! Is anyone 100 percent happy with their smartphone? 

Car itself is great. Eg  I've got the 1.5 turbo petrol and I'm regularly achieving 50mpg+ on motorway trips with 47.8mpg average over 2,000 miles from new.

At least it comes with option of software updates, although I do wonder why given the car can receive over-the-air updates some software  updates need to be carried out at a dealer?

Anyone know?

17 minutes ago, Branigan said:

I don't think in the age of spangly infotainment there's such a thing as 100 percent happy! Is anyone 100 percent happy with their smartphone? 

Car itself is great. Eg  I've got the 1.5 turbo petrol and I'm regularly achieving 50mpg+ on motorway trips with 47.8mpg average over 2,000 miles from new.

At least it comes with option of software updates, although I do wonder why given the car can receive over-the-air updates some software  updates need to be carried out at a dealer?

Anyone know?

ID.3 has the same platform - see this news:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/vw-announces-ota-updates-for-id3-and-id4-promises-new-releases-every-3-months-157129.html

I expect there will be something similar for Octavia later this year.

OTA updates could cause issues if interrupted so I'd imagine most serious/ big updates will remain dealer jobs. Bad enough when your laptop reboots mid way through the day, could you imagine the car doing it on the outside lane of the M6