Glass roof cracked

29 minutes ago, techsearchuk said:

If not I wonder if it would be covered by car insurance with the replacenent window cover so you would generally pay less excess and not affect no claims?? 

I live in hope ..

11 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Wow I wonder what caused that !! Can you remember hitting any bad pot holes ?

No not any  let alone a bad one. The dealer should be able to see the wheels and suspension. Curious myself to find out. 

Must have been a pre existing fault maybe the recent cold weather ? ...... Hope you get it sorted !

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 1

Just trying to understand this:

So that's a crack across the STEEL roof, between the glass sunroof and the roof edge.

is that right?

I have a panoramic rood in my wagon/estate/combi and it looks a bit different.

I assume this is a sedan/hatch like here where the roof is black:

206TSI-Sportline-MAIN-(1).jpg

1 minute ago, freelunch said:

@Redboy You'll be lucky to have that covered by a normal policy. Mine specifically disallows panoramic roofs.

Just curious: have you used a roof rack or otherwise put any stress on the roof?

No, nothing like that. However, I got a panoramic roof serviced three years ago - it did not close properly from inside. The car is in the garage through cold nights, so cold is not a factor here. Maybe now I will try again with Skoda Service - if there are two cracks on the same spot, this could be something they need to fix. 

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 12.48.48.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haystack1 said:

So that's a crack across the STEEL roof, between the glass sunroof and the roof edge.

is that right?

I'd like to know the answer to that, looking more carefully at the photo I dont think it is glass or steel judging by the crack, plastic or GRP perhaps?

Aside from the lunacy of having an entire glass roof I dont think it could possibly have the radiused edges and seal retaining grooves that the one in the picture has.

Same here. Went to authorized servise, they accepted a claim. In next days service will replace that part for free.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Haystack1 said:

is that right?

It’s the hatchback and yes it’s the glass surrounding the sunroof

9 hours ago, freelunch said:

@Redboy You'll be lucky to have that covered by a normal policy. Mine specifically disallows panoramic roofs.

Just curious: have you used a roof rack or otherwise put any stress on the roof?

No roof rack or load or stone hit etc. 

8 minutes ago, brsk said:

Same here. Went to authorized servise, they accepted a claim. In next days service will replace that part for free.

Is that in the UK and was the crack on the glass surround? 

Is it not only the combi that has a panoramic sun roof. Isn't the roof on the saloon standard in size. Some of the cracking relating.to the pano roof would then be irrelevant. As mentioned previously the black surround on the sedan most likely isn't glass but some other material?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wish we could still get those "non panoramic" sunroofs. They were much better looking in my opinion.  I don't know why they all switched to these panoramic ones which cover half of the roof with a black frame...  lowering the costs maybe??

image.png

It’s plastic and it’s easy enough to remove by competent windscreen fitters and the new one just bonds down using the same sealant used to bond in a windscreen. 
It is a pretty easy job really, it’s just a plastic surround. 
I have pics of one removed. Guys car was parked near someone that was welding and he got spot welds all over his car. Entire repaint and every glass and sunroof replaced. 

02033C04-3C55-40C5-95F4-9D4A0834D122.jpeg

9157EB6E-AB27-455F-AE10-78B6D316BA9F.jpeg

• Like 2

Update: 

1. Insurance company had no problem with a potential claim.

2. Skoda accepted it as a warranty claim

3. Awaiting repair...when a company can do it to the spec. 

Thanks to all helpful contributors especially for the link from Bigeater and Ajamesr photo. The link shows that this is a common VW fault, which is the same design. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I dropped the car off at a VAG group approved bodyshop  this afternoon, after collecting the roof cover and various tubes of glue from Horton Skoda of Lincoln earlier today. The box just fitted inside the hatchback opening. Apparently they plan to drop the headlining and leave the windscreen in place, thus no extra squeaks should come from the dashboard or camera alignment required. The Suzuki Swift hybrid courtesy car did 72 Mpg, lots of gadgets but no cruise:blink:. Bit plasticky and noisy on the road and no torque or power to speak of. Apparently it’s actually a Toyota Yaris. I will probably put a final note on this sorry story in a few days  

I am very intrepid about my panny roof. According to my insurance company it is not windscreen cover but general accident so if it goes it is an insurance claim so no claim bonus under threat. I am careful where I park away from overhanging trees and away from adjacent skip lorries. It is fixed and not tilt and slide like some and I have enjoyed 8 years of incident free motoring