Help! 69 plate 1.0 TSI SE manual clutch gone after 2721 miles!!!!

Bollcat

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I am usually very good at deciphering and making senses google translations from one language to another but this part of the tech webinar is causing me some problems, can anyone suggest what it might be saying? the rest makes sense:

Technical background/Cause  Due to anticorrosion protection applied to the flywheel and the clutch, the friction value increase is much more slowly. This may lead to premature clutch failures.  Despite optimizing measures (plate lining of the clutch S308, the diaphragm spring of the pressure plate with temperature stability and decreased rpm in the transport mode), the premature heat overload of the clutch still sporadically occurs.

I'll take a guess that they meant to say "the anticorrosion treatment reduces the surface friction of the clutch plate, causing it to slip and overheat, which excess heat then causes the clutch diaphragm springs to fail.

• Like 1

The first part I agree with, the second is anyones guess.

The diaphragm is the spring, a clutch cover is either a coil spring (old school) or diaphragm type.

I changed my clutch last week (cleaned all the friction surfaces with brake cleaner), the friction faces of the flywheel & pressure plate were blue from heat and the pressure plate annular ring was bowed like a saucer, 1.5mm in 40mm:o the driven plate had therefore worn thin on the outside edge tapering to full thickness at the centre.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - believe it or not this is still not resolved. I haven’t had the money refunded for the inspection nor have they given me a copy of the original works they have done or the subsequent repairs when it came back damaged again. 

I have given them a 2 day ultimatum to respond and will then share the headline issues with all of the members on the forum so they know to avoid this dealership at all costs. They have been an absolute disgrace and at the heart of it is ineffective management at the branch which ‘allows’ these practices to go unchallenged. 

Thanks all

BC

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Then start proceedings in County Court. You can add the case filing fee, which isn't that high anyway, onto their final bill. 

• Like 1

Hello guys, i thinks this is a international problem with Skoda dealers now days. 

I had a similar problem with my clutch. I still do... but they told me that it's not a problem, which i doubt, but if it fails i am gonna demand a warranty replacement.

The problem is, that the cluch is making a weird sound in 1800rpm. At first i thought it was the bearing but the dealer told me it is the spring that synchronizes with the engine. Sometimes it makes a sound sometimes it doesn't! It happenrs randomly when i press and release the clutch. 

I have 4800miles.

Don't know if i will end up like you... Did you noticed any sound before the failure? 

Are you familiar with the kangaroo effect? Maybe it caused some damage since it increases RPMs when you slowly release the clutch.

It's impossible to get it fail is 2721miles unless you let your kid drive or something.

You sould demand a warranty replacement. I hope you get it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/07/2021 at 11:34, Bollcat said:

Hi all - believe it or not this is still not resolved. I haven’t had the money refunded for the inspection nor have they given me a copy of the original works they have done or the subsequent repairs when it came back damaged again. 

I have given them a 2 day ultimatum to respond and will then share the headline issues with all of the members on the forum so they know to avoid this dealership at all costs. They have been an absolute disgrace and at the heart of it is ineffective management at the branch which ‘allows’ these practices to go unchallenged. 

Thanks all

BC

I hope you have made a suitable addition to the appropriate Skoda dealer review section?

I am sure nobody wants to repeat your experience.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/289-škoda-dealer-reviews/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

And, have you notified Skoda of all the goings on.

I would think Skoda at least should have your car inspected, as obviously it sounds like you are still not happy with the repairs that have been done.

What about the leasing company?  Is there a possibility that you can reject the car???

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2021 at 18:11, J.R. said:

I am usually very good at deciphering and making senses google translations from one language to another but this part of the tech webinar is causing me some problems, can anyone suggest what it might be saying? the rest makes sense:

Technical background/Cause  Due to anticorrosion protection applied to the flywheel and the clutch, the friction value increase is much more slowly. This may lead to premature clutch failures.  Despite optimizing measures (plate lining of the clutch S308, the diaphragm spring of the pressure plate with temperature stability and decreased rpm in the transport mode), the premature heat overload of the clutch still sporadically occurs.

Just found this on a search - the first part has already been dealt with.   The second part, to do with transport mode - the car is put in this mode from the factory and does things like shut off all non-vital electrical systems to preserve the battery but it also limits engine speed.  So I guess they're saying that perhaps excessive clutch slipping happens which is exacerbated by the anti-corrosion treatment which together overheat the clutch.  

If you've ever seen cars driven on and off ships, and, especially, reversed on to the top of car transporters, it makes you wince.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 1:34 PM, Bollcat said:

Thanks all

BC

Hello my friend. I am from Greece. Thank you very much for all the information. We also have problems with the clutch. And in seats arona and skoda. Do you have the codes from the spare parts that were installed in your car? Was the flywheel finally changed? Is your car safe now?

• 2 months later...

I'm not a Kamiq owner and found this topic by virtue of the fact that I'd been reading reviews and articles of the Kamiq wondering if it would serve as a replacement for my Yeti if the need arose. I've posted bits and bobs in connection with that in the Yeti section.

I've been pretty lucky with the Yeti and haven't had much in the way of dealings with the dealer or with Skoda for a good while ... I don't have the car serviced at the dealer any more  (I wasn't over impressed at some of their apparent dishonesty and sharp practice and misinformation and am much happier with my trusted independant).

Obviously I was disappointeed to read about the poor service that contributor "Bollcat" received and pleased for him that the matter was ultimately largely resolved albeit he would have had a nasty taste in his mouth as well as a smell of burnt clutch in his nostrils.

But what a shame that he hasn't posted any updates since January 21 (it's now April) 23)  to advise how the matter has progressed.

Much advice and encouragement was kindly given and he seemed grateful at the time - but nothing since. He last visited the site in January of this year. Obviously things happen but he did pop in here to have a look at something only 3 months ago.

I honestly don't know if Skoda are any better or any worse than any other motor manufacturer. They struggled to get out of fixing my juddering DSG when it was under warranty and it was only the weight of numbers (of others complaining about the same thing) that presumably urged them to carry out the modifications that they did, eventually, carry out.  But maybe Other manufacturers would have been no better - in fact Ford had a similar twin clutch issue and it took them a long time to do anything about it.

If I were to replace the Yeti with a DSG Kamiq I wouldn't relish the prospect of having to return to the same, local, VW / Skoda dealer for servicing and warranty issues, but I would pretty much have to. And even if I went to a different one would they be any different?

In a way I'm glad I saw this topic as it's given me something more to think about.

I'd say Bollcat has left the building. On the face of it he sought advice, received well intentioned and helpful thoughts from forum members and .... that was that. Shame.

• Like 1

@oldstan

If any help my wife's Karoq has run perfectly in the 4 years we've had it and my new Kamiq has been perfect in the 4 months I've had it. These forums and similar generally just show the few issues folks are having, not the many who are quite happy with their cars

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2023 at 07:09, sussamb said:

@oldstan

If any help my wife's Karoq has run perfectly in the 4 years we've had it and my new Kamiq has been perfect in the 4 months I've had it. These forums and similar generally just show the few issues folks are having, not the many who are quite happy with their cars

Isn't your Kamiq a 1.5 DSG auto? This thread is about a manual 1.0 Kamiq. I've been watching this thread with interest as I was considering a 1.0tsi manual. I'm also concerned about the infotainment / SOS woes.

Edited by bigjohn

• 4 months later...

True although my wifes Karoq is a manual. The point I was making though is that generally folks come here and places like it to complain, for everyone who does there are hundreds of others who are quite happy with their cars.

• Confused 1

It was a thread from one member with a very real issue.

It showed nothing other than they had an issue.   Obviously there are thousands happy, maybe many un-happy that do not come to forums.

The one thread is here for someone that has a similar issue, maybe the same engine and gearbox even.