Recommend me a TV Series to watch.

john999boy

Reacher.

Wow.

On Prime.

Based on Book 11 of the Reacher series.  Got much to commend in these days of same, same TV.  

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 3

On 15/12/2023 at 15:59, lol-lol said:

Reacher.

Wow.

On Prime.

Based on Book 11 of the Reacher series.  Got much to commend in these days of same, same TV.  

How did an analyst called Jack Ryan appear is series 2? Weird Lee Child/ Clancy crossover? 

Edited by @Lee

10 hours ago, @Lee said:

How did an analyst called Jack Ryan appear is series 2? Weird Lee Child/ Clancy crossover? 

Don't know.

James Barr was mentioned in series 2 Reacher who was the marksman in little Tom Cruise Reacher first film.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

On 15/12/2023 at 14:59, lol-lol said:

Reacher.

Wow.

I liked it too 👍

I've Season one on Blu-ray in case anyone's interested.  Going on eBay shortly.

Gaz

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

1883, Season 1, free on Prime/Paramount+

Western Drama following a group of would-be immigrant settlers heading out west on the Oregon trail.

Great characters in the trail boss lead group. Binge-watched the first 4 episodes last night. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Fargo series 5 on Prime. Utterly brilliant. The Fargo franchise has been consistently good, with a couple of fine series in it, but this latest one is superb. Brilliant acting, cinematography, music and best of all, a real Coen brothers style script. I can't recommend it enough. 

A full 10/10 for me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reacher season two final episode tonite, mostly loved it but it has had some strong criticism from some quarters being macho which I surprised out, cavalier maybe.

Reacher is always portrayed as going for justice, is someone tries to kill him they die by the sword as that person lives by the sword.

Must be true it is hated as Forbes says so....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2024/01/07/reacher-season-2-is-now-officially-one-of-the-worst-shows-on-tv/

Well I have enjoyed it and Season 3 on Prime has already been commissioned I gather.

Wonder if the Lord of The Rings prequel series, first one aired a year ago and is suppose to have 5 series at a cost of £1B but that seems to have gone quiet.

• Like 1

The ending to Reacher was, imho, a little 'flat, but I enjoyed it overall :)  

Anyhoo, here is another recommendation.

The Water Margin. It's a series that many of a certain age will remember from its heyday on BBC2 in the 70s. My brother and I loved this show. I had a serious crush on Lin Chong, a sort of heroic Chinese Christopher Lee with serious sword skills and a lethal karate Chop. It also had a fantastic theme tune :) 

The picture quality is a rather '70s' the dubbing is OK and the fight sequences are a little, er... staged :D but there is a great story at the heart of it and in its day was like the tv show 'Kung Fu' except on steroids. 

Catch it on Prime :) I'd give it a solid 7/10 (probably should be 6/10, but nostalgia gave it an upgrade to 7/10 - those who remember it from the first time around will understand)

• Like 1

First series of true detectives with woody harrelson and mathew mcconaughy ,just finshed it 8 parts and brilliant tv ,if you like detective stuff 👍

American Nightmare. A 3 parter on Netflix, which shades of the Christopher Jefferies about it. Incredible tale of a possible abduction and rape. It has twist and turns, seems to be writ large from the film 'Gone Girl' and then....

Heartbreaking, worrying, astonishing and a lesson for us all. Brilliant documentary 8.5/10 for me

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned previously, but I'd recommend the series Babylon Berlin. Absolutely superb crime / social drama - set in 1930s Berlin. The programme is in German, with English subtitles, but don't let that put you off.

I believe it was shown on Sky. I bought the DVD box set off Amazon - Babylon Berlin series 1-4

I'm now reading the books by Volker Kutscher.

-----

High-end, award-winning German noir, BABYLON BERLIN is one of the most ambitious international dramas to be shown on British screens.

Based on the crime novels of Volker Kutscher this brilliantly intoxicating series is set in pre-World War II Berlin and follows the investigations of Inspector Gereon Rath, (Volker Bruch), and his ambitious colleague Charlotte Ritter (Liv Lisa Fries). This DVD collection includes all four series.

SERIES ONE: A shell-shocked Rath uncovers a tangled web of corruption when investigating 1929 Berlin's seedy underbelly.
SERIES TWO: Rath awakes after a long night to be faced with a new case - the massacre of the Red Fortress.
SERIES THREE: When a film star is killed on set Rath has a murder investigation on his hands.
SERIES FOUR: 1930's Berlin and Rath's investigations lead him into the boxing milieu - and politically, uncomfortably close to Hitler's militant supporters.

-----

• Like 1

On 15/12/2023 at 14:59, lol-lol said:

Reacher.

Wow.

Yes, another vote for Reacher. Excellent series. I think Alan Ritchson plays the part well.

I've read every one of the Reacher books by Lee Child. I got into the books after watching the two Tom Cruise Jack Reacher movies. 

• Like 2

Yep another for Reacher. Just finished S2 which I enjoyed a lot but not as much as S1. S2 went low brow but still good violent fun.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Night Agent. Only one series so far though.

The Continental. John Wick prequel.

Lucifer.

American Gods.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure how you can watch this in the UK but the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Service) has released their Second, five part series of "Muster Dogs".

Storyline of both series  is that five pups of a litter of champion working dogs are distributed to five graziers around Australia to meet training and development targets to a 'big' finale test at 12 months. It usually takes a couple of years to get working dogs to the required level of proficiency.

First series breed were kelpies and the second series Border Collies.

The dogs are the stars of course but all the selected men and women graziers are incredibly diverse, likeable and interesting. 

It is just a total feel-good experience but there is some real-life drama that typically comes with life in the Outback.

Hugely popular here I cannot recommend it enough. Admission: I teared up three times in the first episode of the second series alone!

My two adult kids have the 'holy trinity' of Australian working dogs between them: Kelpie, Border Collie and Blue Heeler and while the first two are whip-smart I will be interested to see if the third series have the courage to do the same format with the Blue Heeler. Ours is definitely a work in progress!

A quick Google search suggests that the first series is on Netflix so I assume the second series will be available at some point?

Other than that if you use a VPN it is possible to create an account for the online ABC iview portal.

• Like 1

Started to watch second series of Halo and am pleasantly surprised.

Like many sci-fi series does it have echoes to todays world of conflict ?

I may have mentioned it previously but very much enjoying Kin.

Imdb

I was doubtful Season II could top the first season, but Wow!!!

For many reasons it puts me very much in mind of my all-time favourite TV Show  - The Sopranos 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2024 at 19:17, lol-lol said:

Started to watch second series of Halo and am pleasantly surprised.

Like many sci-fi series does it have echoes to todays world of conflict ?

Halo cooking along very nicely, getting better and better now on episode 6. Visual very good and story.

• Like 1

Yesterday on Netflix I binge watched "3 Body Problem" based around the premise of be careful who you  send messages to space too.

Starts in 1966 in China during the Chinese Cultural Revolution before moving to the present day when scientists start committing suicide and building to a story about an impending alien invasion.

Excellent performances from (amongst others)  Liam Cunningham, Rosalind Chao,Benedict Wong and a few appearances by Adrian Edmondson in a straight role with a special mention for what I thought was the standout performance from Alex Sharp.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi747750937/?listId=ls025720609&ref_=tt_og_ots_3bp_i

I'm 75% through it, as I took a break after one of the characters met an unexpended end. I've enjoyed it, but I think they could have made it a couple of episodes shorter to tighten things up. I love Liam Cunningham chewing the scenery, he is a wonderful actor. I'm also fed up with why the brilliant scientist (if female) has to be stunningly beautiful. I'm surprised she would have all that extra time to perfect her coiffeur. 

Anyhoo the episode with the ship (you know what I mean if you have seen the episode) is very interesting. Reminds me of the movie Ghost Ship. 

1 hour ago, Lady Elanore said:

I'm 75% through it, as I took a break after one of the characters met an unexpended end. I've enjoyed it, but I think they could have made it a couple of episodes shorter to tighten things up. I love Liam Cunningham chewing the scenery, he is a wonderful actor. I'm also fed up with why the brilliant scientist (if female) has to be stunningly beautiful. I'm surprised she would have all that extra time to perfect her coiffeur. 

Anyhoo the episode with the ship (you know what I mean if you have seen the episode) is very interesting. Reminds me of the movie Ghost Ship. 

Are we talking about Augusta?  Well she has the excuse she was moving from pure research to the dark side of the corporate world ;o)

Aye I know what you mean on the ship :) , I await your response to the opening sequence of  episode 8 ;o)

Edited by Winston_Woof