VRS 245 not exciting. Keep or change

Hi all

As a family all-rounder my 245 is brilliant and hard to fault. However wife has a Kamiq now which seems ample for family duties now kids are older. Im only using vrs to drop kids at school and apart from occasional motorway run mostly a and b road driving so dont need a sensible fast car and craving more excitement. Car almost too stable to be that fun. 

Im not keen on remap as still have warranty. Is it now that fast cars are so stable that less fun are there more fun alternatives. Never drove leon cupra or golf gti so are it's less sensible sister cars more fun or similar. Am I just having a mid life crisis 😆 

Edited by ima

A VW Up GTI maybe.

Or maybe something that has not much power, but rear wheel drive and OEM ditch finder tyres and you can get loads of fun within the UK NSL.

Or get a BMW i3 / VW ID.3 and have fun & range anxiety.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ima said:

Never drove leon cupra or golf gti so are it's less sensible sister cars more fun or similar. Am I just having a mid life crisis 😆 

My last Cupra was certainly faster and more fun than the previous two vRS's. It took a test drive to open my eyes though. :thumbup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, john999boy said:

My last Cupra was certainly faster and more fun than the previous two vRS's. It took a test drive to open my eyes though. :thumbup:

Ah so a definite difference. Which Cupra did you have?

3 hours ago, ima said:

Hi all

As a family all-rounder my 245 is brilliant and hard to fault. However wife has a Kamiq now which seems ample for family duties now kids are older. Im only using vrs to drop kids at school and apart from occasional motorway run mostly a and b road driving so dont need a sensible fast car and craving more excitement. Car almost too stable to be that fun. 

Im not keen on remap as still have warranty. Is it now that fast cars are so stable that less fun are there more fun alternatives. Never drove leon cupra or golf gti so are it's less sensible sister cars more fun or similar. Am I just having a mid life crisis 😆 

Edit: Just scrolled up and noticed e-Root has said much the same. Bah!

Anyway...

Maybe a switch to a fun budget RWD car? (MX5 or BMW 3-series compact?)

Alternatively, a low-powered vehicle that you can drive hard without getting into trouble may give you the excitement you seek?

Years ago we had a 1.3 Vauxhall Chevette that was laughably easy to get the rear end out on roundabouts in the wet, and just as easy to catch it again.

It was a ridiculously fun old banger, and every successful journey without the car developing a fault felt a bit like an achievement.

But you might be right on the MLC: You might be just having a bit of a moment, suddenly wondering when the hell you became all sensible and responsible without noticing. :D

Edited by EnterName
Hat-tip to e-roottoot for beating me to it with much the same as I said

Ask yourself how fast would you drive with your family in the car and your expectations of other driver's behaviour in the proximity of your wife driving your children?  

How about a bigger engine 1 series for some track work where you can have some fun in relative safety for you and everyone else?

• Like 1

Just to throw something else into the mix - as the 290 Black is pre GPF, it allows a stage 1 remap which goes up to about 370bhp. The exhaust also had an abundance of pops and bangs which doesn't rely on a sound generator!

If you really want fun you need to ditch VAG group altogether, get something rear wheel drive… GT86 are an absolute hoot on twisty roads if you can stomach being overtaken by a 245vrs on the straights 😜. Or buy BMW last generation 140i…

What do you mean by exciting?

What next depends on your budget.

Did you buy your 245 new?

How much will you lose by changing your car?

Would it be cheaper to wait for the warranty to expire and change suspension, chip it, etc.

Good luck.

get a fiesta st or Toyota Yaris gr

both corner like a house fly and go like the proverbial #*#* off a shovel

not much boot space but horses for corses as they say

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ima said:

Hi all

Having had a mapped manual VRS Octavia, 220 TSI it was more fun and quicker to drive than my DSG 245 Golf GTI PP. As @KenONeillsays, a motorbike will give you the adrenalin rush that you don’t often have the opportunity to have (safely) in a car. 

And RS can be a drivers car of you know where to go, exciting it's not, but then again there's too many backstabbers with dashcams and plod hiding in horsebox trailers etc that kill any enjoyment on the roads these days.

I want rid of mine. I'd like a VW Golf GTi, but the boot is a bit on the small side and I think that they're overpriced for what they are, especially if you add on stuff that Skoda do for less.

Depends what you want from the car, it's a great day to day car, but it's not a performance car. You can remap it easily without warranty worries, that will definitely make it more exciting.

If you don't need something so big then sell and get something different, fast coupe maybe?

Mine is my daily, I've got an E46 M3 for thrills.

Thanks all. Yes definitely need something smaller. I have good equity in the car and I think its the size now I notice. I had a Leon FR before this and although much smaller and slower felt more agile. I like the idea of a small hot hatch like ST but I don't think I couldn't bring myself to have a Fiesta as its an all or nothing car and think the hard ride would get on my nerves after a while. Does more power bring more excitement or just speed? Vrs fast enough just a bit too planted and insulated to feel exciting.

If going smaller and fun then it is hard to beat a MINI 3 door of some flavour. If you do need some space and practicality then they come with more doors or length as well but still with a choice of engines and gearboxes that still handle well. 

27 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

If going smaller and fun then it is hard to beat a MINI 3 door of some flavour. If you do need some space and practicality then they come with more doors or length as well but still with a choice of engines and gearboxes that still handle well. 

My wife had a mini cooper s convertible and it was great fun. She now has a Cooper Clubman and in fairness for a 1.5 turbo 140bhp, it is nippy. Though I do remind her it is actually a BMW and she still has to use the indicators and lane 1.

Edited by Ecomatt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Ecomatt said:

Depending on how old your children are I would get a Abarth 595. They are huge fun to drive, handle brilliantly and sound good too.

Neighbour over the road has an Abarth 595 - as soon as it starts up in the garage I know about it, the exhaust sounds like a completely empty piece of pipe and nothing like any of the other cars in our road!