What saddened you today?

Breezy_Pete

Phoning GP about a lump on my wrist (probably this), thinking that if I sent a photo or two I might get a suggestion over the phone about what to do.

Painful when weight is on wrist in extended position. To the extent that a press-up feels like it might cause total wrist snappage.

Was told "I can book you in for a face to face appointment on 21st July". 

I asked if I could send a photo or two of it in instead and have someone call me, and was told "yes, you can do that, but I still have to book it as a phone consultation; first available is 14th July"

Kinell!  I knew the NHS was struggling, but didn't realise it had got this bad.

I guess reception lady made a judgement from my vocal tone and description 'lump on wrist' that it probably wasn't life-threatening but even so...

Any bored healthcare professionals on Brisky? Or folks who've had similar?

IMG-20220625-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220625-WA0002.jpg

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Phoning GP about a lump on my wrist (probably this),

An episode of Doc Martin dealt with a similar problem, the fix involved a very heavy book to smack down on the cyst !!

😁 Been trying that with the Toolstation catalogue, but I think it's not big and heavy enough. Might have to recruit my partner to do it, as I'm not very accurate with my left hand. 😆

• Haha 2

looks like a ganglion (sp) FIL gets them sometimes on the back of hand. 

big slap of an encyclopedia usually does the trick

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

looks like a ganglion (sp) FIL gets them sometimes on the back of hand. 

big slap of an encyclopedia usually does the trick

I think that's what I've got on the joint on my thumb. Will try that, can't say I won't swear tho :D

3 hours ago, Liger1956 said:

My mum used to "cure" cysts by hitting them with the large family hardbacked bible!

There's a reason they're known as Bible bumps. 

To be fair to the GP practice, I did get a personalised email acknowledgement to my sent photos and description of the 'fault'. 

"I have put you in for a phone call on the 14th July with Dr xxxxxx. If you think its Urgent,  you need to call at 08.30am in the mornings Mon-Fri.

Regards"...

Gonna get better half to give it a smart smack shortly, will update via 'moments of joy' thread if it goes well, as and when. :wondering:😁

On 27/06/2022 at 20:19, Breezy_Pete said:

Gonna get better half to give it a smart smack shortly, will update via 'moments of joy' thread if it goes well, as and when. :wondering:😁

I hope that it worked for you and didn't hurt.

News that has made me sad very recently:

The death of Deborah James, "bowelbabe". She died on the same day as my (much older) birthday. Let us remember her courage and cheerful acceptance of her end by contributing to her "Bowelbabe Fund for Cancer Research".

Also the death of Professor Colin Blakemore on June 27th.  One of Britain's top neuroscientists, humanist and conciliator.  Died, aged 78, of motorneurone disease.

20 minutes ago, OldTrilobite said:

I hope that it worked for you and didn't hurt.

Thanks. It didn't, and it did. Tried needle aspiration too, without success, but never mind.

I hadn't heard about Prof Blakemore's death, a brilliant and brave man. Will re-read something of his as a tribute.

Edited by Breezy_Pete

Both Deborah James and Colin Blakemore have up to date biographical entries in Wikipedia.

Blakemore's is at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Blakemore

The Royal Society of Biology has a short obit in the latest newsletter; they will publish a full obit later in the Society's magazine.

Martin

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to regularly get turned away in summer months for having taken an antihistamine for hayfever - it only seemed to happen with our local service though as those elsewhere seemed to have no similar concerns or constraints.

1 hour ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Today it upset me a little to be turned away from a blood donor session for not enough iron. 

Cheer yourself up pete with a few pots of guiness ,they used to say that gives you iron 😁

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

38 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Today it upset me a little to be turned away from a blood donor session for not enough iron. 

I've heard of people not having enough wood before (🤪) but maybe that's related to something else! 😉

Archie Battersbee: Court rules life-support can end - BBC News

Second hearing at the high court has ruled that treatment can end, yet the family are going to appeal it again. 

Whilst I can't imagine what the family are going through, I think appealing the second decision is just pro-longing the inevitable outcome, and the child should be let go. Which is incredibly sad. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, WolfyWesty said:

Archie Battersbee: Court rules life-support can end - BBC News

Second hearing at the high court has ruled that treatment can end, yet the family are going to appeal it again. 

Whilst I can't imagine what the family are going through, I think appealing the second decision is just pro-longing the inevitable outcome, and the child should be let go. Which is incredibly sad. 

one of the students in my wife's school was hit by a van wing mirror in april near her home after getting off a bus from a school match. 13 yrs old. she died yesterday after they made the decision to stop life support 😔😔

• Sad 6

and swmbo is back from the funeral.

they had students from her year group doing a guard of honour, along with the local GAA club. 

she said there was a lot of emotional trauma in the air, along with the heat... 2 students fainted at different points 😞

for a lot of the girls (only 13 remember) it was their first time at a funeral, and for it to be one of their peers and class mates... in the circumstances of the incident and hospital care etc. more than a few of them will probably ha e been expecting her to be back in school in September.

they will be carrying some heavy baggage for a while. and thats before the girl's family are even mentioned. they must be so mentally and physically drained 😪 as she was in our national childrens hospital in Dublin the entire time - a solid 2 1/2 hr drive away - i just cant even begin to understand where they are now.

• Sad 9

Just heard that a great friend’s husband passed away yesterday; just a week after her mother passed. 😢

Seems it’s true what they say. As you get older you hear of more deaths and funerals than you do births and marriages

• Sad 8

Worrying article in the latest Which? magazine, exposing the racket of fake reviews on social media.  I cannot understand how it can be legal for a business to pay another business to flood their website, Google or Trustpilot with entirely fake 5-star reviews.  Very worrying, though I don't use Facebook etc.  Everyone should try to read a copy in their public library.  It's not online, though there was an earlier January online article about fake reviews.

The latest Which? article does not cover sites like Amazon or Tripadvisor, where there may also be fake reviews.  It is hard to know what one can trust.

Edited by OldTrilobite
error in link
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OldTrilobite said:

sites like Amazon or Tripadvisor, where there may also be fake reviews

So ignore the 1* trolls on Tripadvisor, and looks for how other people who write longish reviews seem to rate places that you might go.

• Like 2

Just spilt my beer over the desk, keyboard, papers, etc. Right ol' mess!    Grrr...

Thought about putting this in the "What annoyed you today?" but downgraded it to Saddened because...

1. the keyboard still works fine
  2. I got to clean the desk (long over due)
  3. the beer was a bottle of Moretti Zero

Just now, sneal said:

Just spilt my beer over the desk, keyboard, papers, etc. Right ol' mess!    Grrr...

Thought about putting this in the "What annoyed you today?" but downgraded it to Saddened because...

1. the keyboard still works fine
  2. I got to clean the desk (long over due)
  3. the beer was a bottle of Moretti Zero

So how would rate Moretti beer for cleaning purposes? :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

So how would rate Moretti beer for cleaning purposes? :)

Well, the fizz has done a very good job at lifting the grime from the grain effect surface of my 30+ yr old MFI desk. Cleanest part, might have to go and get another one and do the rest... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1