What saddened you today?

Breezy_Pete

Lost my best mate today.

Buster would've been 15 on Friday. He would've been with us 4 years on 25th of this month. Arthritis and rapid onset of dementia meant we had a one way trip to the vets this morning. 

Peace at last big lad.

20230125_105452.jpg

• Sad 8
  • Crying 4

Dispatch date..

I'll say that again for effect.

DISPATCH DATE for the spring is 12th April.

Fair play to the dealer though, said if I need a bigger car to go down south with family they'll lend me one.

• Sad 2

Doing 16 hours of driving, I left 5pm yesterday to take wife to bingo with daughter and son and his friend to Manchester.  He had tickets to a concert for weeks, so booked before the storm.

Home to Manchester and back, then off to pick up wife & daughter from bingo, before going to Manchester to pickup (left 21:45, back home at 09:00)

I knew it was going to be interesting getting home, but on the way to Manchester for the 2nd time, it was ok on M62, westbound.  The homeward bound journey was shocking, with people ignoring the red X and blocking gritters, driving on hard shoulders etc.  As we got near home, there was a bit of a hill where a pile of lorries had lost traction due to having to stop.  Sadly they can handle the snow (when not forced to stop for cars that don't know)

Does make me wonder how a pure EV car would do in those situations 🤔

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

Blimey on both of the above posts!!

I read your post about several inches of snow last night before leaving, thinking to myself I am glad it has not been that much locally.

A lot changed in only a short time.

3 minutes ago, varooom said:

I read your post about several inches of snow last night before leaving, thinking to myself I am glad it has not been that much locally.

A lot changed in only a short time.

Yep - it was moving north steadily through the day and just continued through the evening with some really heavy stuff at times.  I went out to check on the rabbits at about 11:30pm and it was already significantly deeper than it had been earlier but I wasn't expecting to see the issues on the M62 that were reported this morning - that must've been hell and, as you say, all probably caused by a few inconsiderate drivers.

There's been quite a few inconsiderate ones round us too with lots of abandoned cars on the hills causing issues for the local farmer who does his best to plough and grits round us as the council don't (if you look in the weather thread you'll see what it was looking like for us earlier).

Forecast for -8 to -13 degrees tonight round here so I'd suggest not going out again!  🤣

• Like 2

I don't mind driving on the white stuff at all, but the standard of driving by some was poor.  I remember a police car came down lane 2/3 with a snow plough in tow, only for a ton of cars to go in the lane (with red X still live)  I did see plenty of abandoned cars here too, one who looked like he misjudged a corner bad and decided to walk after plough off the road.

So many fools also took to the hard shoulder to drive along also, that didn't help highways or the police last night.

• Like 1

And on a separate subject - our bathroom light pull gave up today and, as we're in the converted roofspace and the window is a Velux, it was a bit dark due to the snow.  There was no way I was tripping out for one so decided to take the switch apart to try and fix it instead...   which was a bad move as, after removing the internal screws holding it together there was a PING...   resulting in springs / contacts / and bits of plastic everywhere.  It took me about an hour and three attempts figure how it all went back together and get it working again.

Now I'm planning ahead as we've still got a leaking PRV on our unvented hot water tank and a forecast of -7 to -13 (or something like that) - so chances are the PRV outfall pipe will freeze up and it'll overflow via the tundish into the roof space and then into the spare room via the downlighters (which is what it did once before) - so I think I'll be turning the mains feed off to the hot water tank before I go to bed...

• Sad 2

Just dropped our other dog, Dougal(13), off at the vets for some tests. It appears he may have developed heart problems just like his younger sister who died at the beginning of Feb. Hopefully we have caught it early enough.

Update:

It is heart failure, vet hopeful that meds will work (same as Dinky had). Back home and he's had his tea and now asleep on the sofa. 

Edited by io1901
Typo and update
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, io1901 said:

Just back from the Vets, Dougal had several seizures this evening and passed away just after 11pm.

Sorry to hear that, mate.  It's always a wrench when you lose a companion.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

im currently sitting in a hospital chair alongside spud jr who woke up at 445am crying, and puked when i went to check on him, did a wee, and realised he was roasting.. temp was at fever levels the same as last year when he had a convulsion when he got covid off me, so twas emergency call, ambo trip, more vomit in the ambo all over me with no spare clothes, and now asleep thank god with the fever coming back down.

poor missus mac was extremely worried (perfectly understandable...) but it was my turn to go with him, i wasnt allowed last time due to my covid status.

gonna be a long day i think

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

im currently sitting in a hospital chair alongside spud jr who woke up at 445am crying, and puked when i went to check on him, did a wee, and realised he was roasting.. temp was at fever levels the same as last year when he had a convulsion when he got covid off me, so twas emergency call, ambo trip, more vomit in the ambo all over me with no spare clothes, and now asleep thank god with the fever coming back down.

poor missus mac was extremely worried (perfectly understandable...) but it was my turn to go with him, i wasnt allowed last time due to my covid status.

gonna be a long day i think

Praying little ‘un recovers soon and you all get some peace of mind & good rest.

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

hes okay, 

being discharged on an antibiotic course for a possible tonsillitis, while awaiting viral swab results.

Really pleased to hear he's OK.  Fingers crossed the path lab follow-up will identify a treatable cause.

• Thanks 1