Weather

skomaz

Just wet and horrible and thawing at about 2*oC.

Cars sliding on the slightest slope, running into the back of others at junctions and generally muppets are sitting with hazards on going no place without someone to push them. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

Wet and miserable as always here. Had a mix of snow, hail, rain, and just about every other bloody weather type on the 15 minute drive I went on. A little breezy but nothing to alert the presses about.

• Like 1

A little breezy here as well and I am supposed to be at the height of the storm.

The roads are empty because everybody who is not self employed are obeying the warnings and enjoying a free day off, all the contractors at the new build next door who travel about 35 miles arrived earlier than usual, hardly any traffic on the roads, a few twigs & leaves, groundworkers are working outside unimpeded.

Nothing has even blown off their overloaded skip.

• Like 1

I'm struggling to understand why the 2 Met Office red wind warnings for southern England cover (amongst other counties) Somerset and Hampshire but (bizarrely to my mind) don't cover the counties between them of Dorset and Wiltshire?

Surely the strong winds are not going to lower in force on leaving Somerset before miraculously strengthening again on reaching Hampshire?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @Lee said:

I have already been up the ladder several times mitigating damage, either removing bits about to fall off or consolidating those that remain, my home built cantilever carport is doing a striptease, luckily its quite solid as I rebuilt it 2 months ago, these are the highest winds since 87, I built the carport in 92.

No plane take offs or landings from Gatwick that I can see or hear, the ATC's will have plenty of trampolines to occupy them!

• Sad 1

Cal Mac ferry yesterday I believe however this account did incorrectly say the ferry in Hamburg was an Isle of Wight ferry so I don't know if this was from yesterday.

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

been pretty windy here today - my mum's lost a load of her fencing in the back garden and, given we are pretty exposed with nothing between us and the hills across the valley, we've had rain coming in through the frames on the upstairs front windows.

Granted they are crap windows that the previous owners had fitted but the wind seems to be driving the rain past the glazing seals and the frame drains don't seem to be able to cope so the water is coming in through the beading...  so we've currently got towels and the like on window ledges to catch the water.

Other than that I've had to go and fetch the garden bench a couple of times already and have weighted the patio furniture down with a load of spare bricks (the kids trampoline is securely fixed fortunately (it landed on the greenhouse in a gale at our old house so I learnt that lesson!)

• Sad 1

Interesting fly-drive back across The Wirral from court in Liverpool yesterday afternoon.  No direct hazards en route but I felt I should have been listening to Rod Stewart on the radio (We Are Sailing) as my Octy was definitely feeling the crosswinds.

Got back to my temporary home to find a tree had just come down onto next door's new and expensive fence (2m featherboard).  Spent the next two hours with bow saw and machete cutting it back and lifting the trunk off the fence - which fortunately survived unhurt!

I'll tackle the lower trunk either later today or tomorrow - depending on Storm Franklin ...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, @Lee said:

Cal Mac ferry yesterday I believe however this account did incorrectly say the ferry in Hamburg was an Isle of Wight ferry so I don't know if this was from yesterday.

Turns out the CalMac ferry footage was old as well. From 2020 on YT

55 minutes ago, Pete_Ex-Wino said:

Potting shed roof back on now...

Seems we may have failed to screw it back down after rebuilding the shed at this new address. :giggle:

Our shed now has a postcode for Inverness. :giggle:

• Haha 2

On 18/02/2022 at 18:40, skomaz said:

we've had rain coming in through the frames on the upstairs front windows.

Granted they are crap windows that the previous owners had fitted but the wind seems to be driving the rain past the glazing seals and the frame drains don't seem to be able to cope so the water is coming in through the beading...  so we've currently got towels and the like on window ledges to catch the water.

Further inspection today seems to suggest the flat lead roof on the bay above at least one of the windows is leaking somewhere as we've got water coming in over the top of the frames and behind the leading that laps over the frame on the front.

More towels and a bowl deployed as there's no let up in the rain at the moment...   😟

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, skomaz said:

Further inspection today seems to suggest the flat lead roof on the bay above at least one of the windows is leaking somewhere as we've got water coming in over the top of the frames and behind the leading that laps over the frame on the front.

More towels and a bowl deployed as there's no let up in the rain at the moment...   😟

Found the ceiling void in the bay was filling with water and the ceiling was bowing in so ended up punching some holes in it so it drains.

Called the roofer and left a message but my guess is he'll be really busy 

Loads of flooding reported in and around Sheffield today and videos on various social media.  Went over to my mums and loads of roads flooded ...   Glad I took the Kodiaq and not the swift...

Edited by skomaz
  • Groan 1

I didnt realise there was Storm Franklin due to land today, though there was wind warnings in place. 

we went for a walk this morning in the woods, didnt last very long, had to bale out when the rain got mental heavy. 

cleared up a bit for a while in the afternoon, sun even came out. 

but... 

430 pm.. driving wind, hail, rain... utterly gack, and no let up since. back garden is becoming a full size water feature...