Infotainment System Restarting endlessly

29 minutes ago, nickbrookes76 said:

Hi, could you please share the 1941 update with me please?

I don't have access to it anymore, but if you ask @Jorgeminator he might know where it is and how to access it, then follow the guide & watch the video that I posted on page 26 of this thread and it should all work fine. 

The usual caveat applies: You do it at your own risk and we're not responsible for any losses if it goes wrong.  

I don't have an newish Octavia - just a 2011 Yeti.

It most definitely doesn't receive infotainment updates over the air, or from anywhere else to the best of my knowledge ... it has a radio tuned to Radio 3 or  4 and that's  it.  I use a Garmin Satnav with a built in camera and that's the extent of my technology.

There's 43 pages here on this thread, much of it way above my head. It doesn't encourage me to update to a newer Skoda.  Are all new Skodas as complicated?  in fact are all new cars (Toyota, Ford, Dacia etc etc as prone to technical glitches as the Octavia that I read about here?

5 minutes ago, oldstan said:

It most definitely doesn't receive infotainment updates over the air, or from anywhere else to the best of my knowledge ... it has a radio tuned to Radio 3 or  4 and that's  it.  I use a Garmin Satnav with a built in camera and that's the extent of my technology.

There's 43 pages here on this thread, much of it way above my head. It doesn't encourage me to update to a newer Skoda.  Are all new Skodas as complicated?  in fact are all new cars (Toyota, Ford, Dacia etc etc as prone to technical glitches as the Octavia that I read about here?

To be honest it's still good, just annoying that the update system seems very hit and miss. I think most of the major problems were back in 2020-2021.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mccririck said:

To be honest it's still good, just annoying that the update system seems very hit and miss. I think most of the major problems were back in 2020-2021.

Yep. My late 2020 car had a few major issues early on. All fixed by late ‘21 and only the occasional niggle now - and certainly no worse than my two previous Škoda cars.

Chatting to a mate last year - shocking s/ware issues in his Range Rover Evoque (Evoke? 🤷‍♂️). Mazda are not immune either. So I guess it’s similar for many brands as they adopt new technology and systems.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 13:55, oldstan said:

Nowadays I won't buy a car without extended warranty - it took skoda more than 2 years to provide an "OK-ish" firmware and all that electronics components aren't really designed in a rock solid way. So either choose an "all inclusive" leasing plan or cover yourself with an extended warranty if you prefer buying.

• Like 1

I got the message that I could download the 1941 update again today. I always get it when I'm either driving or about to drive, and it says the update cannot be installed while you're driving. I'm wondering if that's what keep making it disappear? It's never in the notifications dropdown when I look later.

I had an update yesterday and it kept appearing and disappearing, the best solution was to go shopping and let it do it then, although it still appeared and disappeared a couple of times before it finally came up with the OK button and saying that it will be applied next time the car starts. 

• Like 1

1941 and restart loop is back…

Upgrade was performed by the dealer in July, worked fine for 3-4 months (no restarts). Installed 2-3 minor OTAs in the meantime.

Yesterday restart loop occurred after 3-4 engine starts during the day.

Today again, restart loop.

Long press of the on/off button on the tablet does not seem to resolve the issue - the infotainment keeps restarting and after 4-6 restarts it dies completely with every possible assistant throwing an error (dashboard is all yellow from errors :) ). Shutting down the car and letting it cool down seems to work for now.

Whatever Škoda is doing with their firmware, they are not doing it right. I am fed up with this low quality software.

Will see what the dealer / shop will tell me this time :)

Anyone on the forum still experiences restart loops on 1941?…

Hi everyone,

First post here so a small introduction first.

Laurent, from Belgium (the coma matters, I'm in no way related to the prince Laurent from Belgium, and I rather not be :D)

Skoda driver since about 11 years, and my last one, Octavia Combi MK4 (october 2020) 2.0 150 TDI (or is it DCI?), is the worst I've ever had.

As everyone one here, I'm experiencing lots (LOTS) of issues with infotainment.

I mainly use carplay and at first thought that it was buggy (in general), only to realize driving other cars, that it works much better in other cars.

As for the bugs, I'll take a list I found on another post here :)

1. Reboots once or twice (Usually at start of journey). => I DO
2. Double pop noise from the dashboard (every journey).  => I DO
3.  SOS unit becoming non functioning / going "offline" (virtually every journey) => Never looked

4.  SAT Nav randomly goes haywire offsetting position of vehicle by 100 - 300 metres approximately for duration of journey - applies to built in Sat Nav and also Carplay Tom Tom Go.  Required forced reboot (On occasion).  => I DO

5. Unable to become Primary User (Constant).  => I DO

6. Settings taking a long time to load or fail to  load completely requiring forced reboot (Periodically).  => I DO
7. Sometime system hangs completely and solution seems to be holding SOS button in for over a minute which seems to force a reboot (Occasionally). => Long press on power button usually works.

For point 4, i found a turnaround, much quicker.

I press for example on the Clim (physical button) twice
First to show the clim screen and a second time to go back to where I was before (Carplay) => the offset is gone immediately.
Try it, it works
;)

Still, I'm surely not happy with my car and my dealer doesn't seem to care about updating the car.

Version is 1806
HW H56

Navigation is 19.7

It goes without saying that OTA updates never worked on my car...

Is there a guide on how to update it myself?

I'm not too afraid with computers (work in IT and cars are more and more like computers) and I'm willing to give it a try.

Could someone PM the links and procedure?

Thanks beforehand,

Laurent

5 minutes ago, xhala said:

Version is 1806

Since you're on SW v.1806 I'm afraid you can't update directly to the so called "new and improved" 1941 - that's as far as I know... If I'm wrong maybe someone can correct me. However, it was surely mentioned before on the many pages of this topic.
So you should definitely go to your dealer and invoke the TPI which was mentioned here several pages ago, since you have (your car has) many of the symptoms fixed by that TPI via the 1941 update. If your dealer continues to play dumb, try to contact/notify Skoda Belgium...
...the alternative being that you "manually" update from v.1806 to some intermediate version, and afterwards from that version to v.1941. But I cannot advice on where to find the proper software versions, unless indicated here in the past.

9 minutes ago, xhala said:

Navigation is 19.7

That one you can "manually" update yourself, avoiding the ignorance of your dealer:
Go to the link below, enter the VIN of your car, download the latest Navigation maps (I see now that the latest version was released week 45.2023) and follow the installation steps indicated there...
https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

@xhala take at look at the information earlier in this thread (around page 12) which has the TPI attached/embedded (ans I can't remember what TPI stands for either🙄). When you contact the dealer, make sure you mention things wrong with your car that appear on the TPI as problems fixed. Often dealers in UK are reluctant to do work if there isn't evidence of the problem, so a video of the reboots for example is also beneficial (though can be tedious to capture).

As mentioned by @SkOmk4, the car will likely need to updates to get to 1941, mine did and it took the dealer three days in total. If its under warranty still, you should be able to get a free loan car.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, xhala said:

but what does TPI means

TPI stands for Technical Product Information...

Meahwhile I used the "Search" function on this topic and found the TPI posted on June 22nd, courtesy of @Jorgeminator - you can read the symptoms and solution there (update to 1941 - obviously!). I also found that your SW version can be directly updated to 1941, without the two-step update I mentioned before; that is also mentioned in the TPI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1