TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

Module 5F adaptations. Search for “TMC”.

If they can’t find it with the search function from there, then don’t let them use VCDS on your vehicle (because they don’t know the first thing about it)!

On 10/07/2023 at 23:10, cp123 said:

So, can I retain existing maps on SD card and just install  “DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update_V2.7z” to existing SD Card ??

Not unless you have V12 maps.

Otherwise unzip V12 maps to card, then unzip Update_V2 over the top.

Update will only work with V12 maps and earlier. No possibility of making it work with newer maps (read the thread for why).

I know this should be a different thread but whilst we are talking about coding, does anyone know the edit to change the default Stop/Start from ON to OFF? Thanks

7 minutes ago, CeeJayCee said:

I know this should be a different thread but whilst we are talking about coding, does anyone know the edit to change the default Stop/Start from ON to OFF? Thanks

To be honest it would be better if you started your own thread rather than hi-jack this very, very long one. The answer will also be easier for people to find rather than trawling through this one. 🙂

Edited by TruckbusUK
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CeeJayCee said:

Sorry, just covering all bases, will they know where to find this parameter? Ta.

Don't disagree, but your hijacking the thread 🙂

For Audi TT (don’t know specifically about Skoda platforms) there is no known option to change the default unfortunately.

There is an adaptation which sets the battery voltage below which start stop no longer works. You can change this to effectively permanently disable it.

In the end I got a module from AliExpress, which is far more functional.

Do a search for “Automatic Stop Start Engine System Off Device Control Sensor Plug for SKODA”.

It has 3 modes…

Memory mode - the last set mode is remembered at next ignition on

Shutdown mode - start/stop is disabled at ignition on (press button to enable)

Service mode - normal operation (enabled at ignition on)

Highly recommended. It just plugs in between the start/stop switch and the car wiring harness. No coding or adaptations required.

Edit: And yes, you’re hijacking the thread. 🤨

Edited by pcbbc
  • Like 3

It's the voltage method if you Google it. You jot down what it's currently set at then change to 12v, then change back when it's serviced else they will say an issue with your SS and charge you. It fools the control unit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stop+start+voltage+method&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=AB5stBgQGLUKbPcHWGxZGje3rCqJdKdF_g%3A1689337966746&ei=bkCxZO6dLay5hbIPg4-VqA0&ved=0ahUKEwjujKermo6AAxWsXEEAHYNHBdUQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=stop+start+voltage+method&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiGXN0b3Agc3RhcnQgdm9sdGFnZSBtZXRob2QyCBAAGIkFGKIEMgUQABiiBDIFEAAYogRIjiNQ9gRYvhtwAXgBkAEAmAFmoAHHBqoBBDEwLjG4AQPIAQD4AQHCAgoQABhHGNYEGLADwgIGEAAYBxgewgIIEAAYBxgeGA_CAggQABgIGAcYHuIDBBgAIEGIBgGQBgg&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

BTW your maps are old @CeeJayCee

Latest ones are here:

The mod John needs to unpin the 2023 ones and pin these up. I'm thinking he might not be looking after that bit of the board now. Some one else needs to do that. Us Seat moderators like to keep things in order :heart:.

4 hours ago, pcbbc said:

For Audi TT (don’t know specifically about Skoda platforms) there is no known option to change the default unfortunately.

There is an adaptation which sets the battery voltage below which start stop no longer works. You can change this to effectively permanently disable it.

In the end I got a module from AliExpress, which is far more functional.

Do a search for “Automatic Stop Start Engine System Off Device Control Sensor Plug for SKODA”.

It has 3 modes…

Memory mode - the last set mode is remembered at next ignition on

Shutdown mode - start/stop is disabled at ignition on (press button to enable)

Service mode - normal operation (enabled at ignition on)

Highly recommended. It just plugs in between the start/stop switch and the car wiring harness. No coding or adaptations required.

Edit: And yes, you’re hijacking the thread. 🤨

That module is the illustrious Don / Dv52 solution 😉. Think you made your own when he first published it.

Hi, I'm following this with interest, after a lot of Google research as a Seat Exeo owner with the RNS-E system.

My question, is if there is a TMS solution for this older system as well as the MMI system solution detailed?

Many thanks!

I suspect not since PCBBC says not here 🤔

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/rns-e-tmc-traffic-info-messages.2031631/page-2

Unlike the software tables in the mib2 high and mib2 standard SD card for V12 the lookup tables on the DVD don't cover Inrix. That's what he said. Piece missing from the jigsaw puzzle. It's only that the map developers provided a level of detail for universality of TMC that isn't in all implementations. Mib1 so we learnt on the thread works with the mib2 high coding fix of PCBBC. TMC group code.

27 minutes ago, Sparques said:

Hi, I'm following this with interest, after a lot of Google research as a Seat Exeo owner with the RNS-E system.

My question, is if there is a TMS solution for this older system as well as the MMI system solution detailed?

Many thanks!

From what I have read on here the answer is no. The maps only contain location tables for Trafficmaster and not INRIX. It seems that you can alter the TMC provider to INRIX but because there are no matching location tables any traffic information shown is wildly inaccurate. Probably the same with my MMI3G B unit as the maps will contain Trafficmaster location tables.

20 minutes ago, Tell said:

I suspect not since PCBBC says not here 🤔

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/rns-e-tmc-traffic-info-messages.2031631/page-2

Unlike the software tables in the mib2 high and mib2 standard SD card for V12 the lookup tables on the DVD don't cover Inrix. That's what he said. Piece missing from the jigsaw puzzle. It's only that the map developers provided a level of detail for universality of TMC that isn't in all implementations. Mib1 so we learnt on the thread works with the mib2 high coding fix of PCBBC. TMC group code.

Ah, sorry, for all the reading I didn't twig that. I suppose unless of course one of the third party map suppliers have included that as a change?

17 minutes ago, Hillbilly23 said:

From what I have read on here the answer is no. The maps only contain location tables for Trafficmaster and not INRIX. It seems that you can alter the TMC provider to INRIX but because there are no matching location tables any traffic information shown is wildly inaccurate. Probably the same with my MMI3G B unit as the maps will contain Trafficmaster location tables.

Yes, I see what you mean... it would need an entire new map database as well.

1 hour ago, Sparques said:

Ah, sorry, for all the reading I didn't twig that. I suppose unless of course one of the third party map suppliers have included that as a change?

Yes, I see what you mean... it would need an entire new map database as well.

Third party map providers are rip of artists. @pcbbc whether anyone has looked at the DVD. If it's heritage was the Here Maps company before they got called that (Navteq?),  you might be in business.

There's some great info in this thread well done to all who have supplied information for novices like myself. 

I'd like to clarify a few things (in summary of 700+ replies):

1: I'm operating a Columbus system in a 2015 Octavia using the latest 2023 maps therefore I believe this to be the Mib2-High format. As a result the only way I can effectively receive TMC updates is to invest c. £100 in one of these kits https://obdeleven.com/products/pro-pack (admittedly there will be other uses for it in fault diagnosis etc) and change some settings.

2: My wife's car is a 2017 Fabia operating the Amundsen system with the latest 2023 maps. The options for this would be to revert to using old maps or subscribe annually to the Skoda Connect system which would involve eating her mobile data or investing in a sim only data plan via an in car stick.

3: This one may be contentious but Skoda's (probably should label this as VAG's) decision to move to Tom Tom as a map supplier has partly caused this issue as Skoda's base data is locked to TrafficMaster system. Although it was TrafficMaster's decision to stop transmitting the information rather than Skoda's to stop receiving it their decision to lock the data has further impacted the issue resulting in many vehicles Sat Nav systems, although not necessarily being obsolete they are no longer fit for purpose despite being only 7yrs old. 

Apologies if this is going over old ground.

1 hour ago, CaptainHaddock70 said:

There's some great info in this thread well done to all who have supplied information for novices like myself. 

I'd like to clarify a few things (in summary of 700+ replies):

1: I'm operating a Columbus system in a 2015 Octavia using the latest 2023 maps therefore I believe this to be the Mib2-High format. As a result the only way I can effectively receive TMC updates is to invest c. £100 in one of these kits https://obdeleven.com/products/pro-pack (admittedly there will be other uses for it in fault diagnosis etc) and change some settings.

2: My wife's car is a 2017 Fabia operating the Amundsen system with the latest 2023 maps. The options for this would be to revert to using old maps or subscribe annually to the Skoda Connect system which would involve eating her mobile data or investing in a sim only data plan via an in car stick.

3: This one may be contentious but Skoda's (probably should label this as VAG's) decision to move to Tom Tom as a map supplier has partly caused this issue as Skoda's base data is locked to TrafficMaster system. Although it was TrafficMaster's decision to stop transmitting the information rather than Skoda's to stop receiving it their decision to lock the data has further impacted the issue resulting in many vehicles Sat Nav systems, although not necessarily being obsolete they are no longer fit for purpose despite being only 7yrs old. 

Apologies if this is going over old ground.

1. Obdeleven Pro or invest in a VCDS kit or find soneone to do it for you. Was a link to people on the thread who might help. Buy a beer thing I guess.

2. Yes.

3. Well with TomTom they cut their cloth to fit so no slack in the seams to fit anything else. Was a software engineering decision. VAG are not going to revisit a legacy system. Unfortunately it's how they work on software. It is only a UK issue and they dont have a contract with Inrix, so they would have to get that, rework the software just for the UK. Think that's outside the one year normal UK warranty. They also have safety in numbers with the other manufacturers.

Edited by Tell

Hi, I've been following this thread since April shortly after TMC stopped working in the hope of a workaround.

I can see that some workarounds have been found but as I am not familiar with some of the technical stuff I thought I'd provide my info in the hope that I fit into one of the solutions!

I have 66 plate Seat Ibiza with maps v4 (basically the original)

I've read about codings and software etc & wondered if there is anything I can do with my particular SD card and if so how do I go about doing it (either myself or via a 3rd party).

I've uploaded a couple of photos of my system info in the hope that this helps!

Thank you in advance,

Ben.

IMG_20230724_210357.jpg

IMG_20230724_210307_1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben-2000 said:

Hi, I've been following this thread since April shortly after TMC stopped working in the hope of a workaround.

I can see that some workarounds have been found but as I am not familiar with some of the technical stuff I thought I'd provide my info in the hope that I fit into one of the solutions!

I have 66 plate Seat Ibiza with maps v4 (basically the original)

I've read about codings and software etc & wondered if there is anything I can do with my particular SD card and if so how do I go about doing it (either myself or via a 3rd party).

I've uploaded a couple of photos of my system info in the hope that this helps!

Thank you in advance,

Ben.

IMG_20230724_210357.jpg

IMG_20230724_210307_1.jpg

You can do it yourself as I covered on the SeatCupra thread:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-136#post-5037297

Yours is a Mib2 standard but with mapcare.

You need to apply the Seat workaround as well as outlined since you are on V4 of the maps and V12 is an upgrade. Take a back up copy of the map before you start. If using a Mac use Cleanmydrive. Use the b. option produced by Pcbbc in that link no coding is required.

Basically back up card.

Download V12 maps.

Copy V12 maps to the card.

Apply the Seat workaround... this

The workaround for that is the standard one:

The workaround for that is the standard one:

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

Then apply b. of that link to the card.

Quite a few people have got it working on Seats now. The only wrinkle for Seat's is the "workaround" 1-12 above that isn't required on VWs and Skodas. Seat never got life long mapcare so that avoids it.

BTW other success ones are on this thread:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/tmc-not-working.472987/

Mib2 High you do as published on Briskoda board no change, Mib2 standard (card based system, 6P descriptor as above in the picture means it's a Seat Mib2 standard, you use the published stuff here plus the workaround)... clear as mud. That's how I detected it's a Seat Mib2 standard and not Mib1 or a Mib2 High (Plus in Seat's terming of the unit).

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

Yee Ha! Just want to post that this fix (change the Fee Based Traffic Information adaptation from 15 to 14) has worked for me, traffic back on.

Many thanks to all that research it and to lupoluke for doing the coding for me

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Is it my imagination or does Inrix provide more traffic info than Trafficmaster did? I seem to lots more local road works details with temporary control lights and narrow lane notifications to mention a couple of items.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CeeJayCee said:

Is it my imagination or does Inrix provide more traffic info than Trafficmaster did? I seem to lots more local road works details with temporary control lights and narrow lane notifications to mention a couple of items.

They’ve got a lot larger database of roads for sure. To me it seems a more comprehensive service.

TrafficMaster have been struggling for a number of years and probably have been winding down their service with quality probably suffering as a result.

Edited by pcbbc
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, pcbbc said:

They’ve got a lot larger database of roads for sure. To me it seems a more comprehensive service.

TrafficMaster have been struggling for a number of years and probably have been winding down their service with quality probsbly suffering as a result.

I would agree, in Cheshire I am seeing far more traffic alerts than back in January with Trafficmaster.

• Like 1

There was a market developing in traffic data they probably bought into that whilst Traffic Master didn't. Google uses its Google mobile phones tracks of its users of the app. That type of data will be available to purchase in one means or another. Whether Tom Tom sell theirs on, ditto Apple not sure. You got your road side monitors then just old fashioned going through road closures provided by the Highway Agency or whatever they may be called now. Then there will be websites one suspects which list road closures. Some of that data they get that way.

The mobile phone traces are available how real time they can get those in not sure. Here Maps use those to examine new roads. You get the builder trucks first. How Google can spot new roads but if you don't check the aerial image you could be wrong against road plans.

The travel time providers are listed in here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/road-congestion-and-travel-times-statistics-guidance/impact-of-changing-local-a-roads-data-source

So the question is how complete their data sources are and how timely to turn that in to real time data similar to Google etc. The refresh time was always moaned about on Traffic Master but you'd think that can be mastered and may have been.

Interesting subject.

Edited by Tell