TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

Had a very quick compare of the V12 and V18 maps, I think the important file is:

- Maps\V12\maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E3\TI.NDS

That's because:

- It's the only obvious file that got significantly smaller rather than larger

- The E3 directory is only present in map packs including the UK

- TI could easily stand for Traffic Information

Unfortunately, based on info from the SEAT forums, it's not simple to replace files in the E* directories as they are protected by encrypted NDS files.

• Like 1

That is correct, the TI.NDS files do indeed contain the traffic information.

It’s not hard to uncompress/unencrypt them to regular SQLite databases. ;)

Unfortunately it won’t get you far because the TMC locations reference the road map data in the matching files.  So, if you replace TI.NDS, you must replace all the other NDS files from the backlevel maps to match as well. 😞

Edit: Windows command line NDS tool here.

NDS2SQLite <filename>

… to extract single NDS file, or…

NDS2SQLite <path>

… to extract all NDS files recursively under the specified path.

Based on initial work from here by ratcash.

Edited by pcbbc
  • Like 1

I assume that's just a compiled version of this: https://github.com/lprot/MIB-Tools/blob/master/nds2sqlite.py

If so, it's unable to convert Maps\V12\maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E3\TI.NDS or Maps\V12\maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E3\OVERALL.NDS stating "Coversion failed. The file is encrypted!".

The PRODUCT.NDS and ROOT.NDS in the parent directories converted though :thumbup:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, langers2k said:

I assume that's just a compiled version of this: https://github.com/lprot/MIB-Tools/blob/master/nds2sqlite.py

If so, it's unable to convert Maps\V12\maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E3\TI.NDS or Maps\V12\maps\00\nds\PRODUCT\E3\OVERALL.NDS stating "Coversion failed. The file is encrypted!".

The PRODUCT.NDS and ROOT.NDS in the parent directories converted though :thumbup:

No. The .net executable includes the decryption step. See the comments on the GitHub project I linked to.

We want all of this stuff if enthusiasts are going to crack taking mib3 maps and getting them into mib2 high maps for the day VAG pulls the plug on mib2 high maps. Need about 15 years on built in maps not 5 years. Where their support is woeful on products. A car will last 15 years, not 5 years as they plan, or less if you need TMC.

• Like 1

MIB2STD 2020 Maps with TMC Update for Amundsen/Discover Media/Technisat

This method doesn't require any toolbox installation, etc.

Unmodifed V12 map download: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12.7z

TMC providers update: DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12_TMC_Update.7z

Instructions:

1. Download both 7z files.

2. Unzip unmodified V12 maps to SD card.  Instead of downloading, you can use your existing copy of V12 maps if you already have a copy.

3. Unzip the TMC Update to the same SD card, replacing any duplicate files.

4. Check/configure FEE BASED TRAFFIC INFO is set to 1023 using VCDS/OBD11.

Give a big thank you to @bigade1 for working out the correct TMC config and doing the testing on his MIB2STD. 👏

Edited by pcbbc
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

Presume we can do the two card system then since the unit isn't modded. Use the old maps with TMC mod if you want TMC or latest maps without.

Now just latest maps with TMC to go 😍.

Well done all.

8 minutes ago, Tell said:

Now just latest maps with TMC to go 😍.

That’s for someone else to figure out how to modify the SQLite E3/TI.NDS database.

It’s already been shown it’s not as simple as copying in the old version of that file from 2020.

Almost certainly because that 2020 file references road locations that are no longer in the latest maps.

I suspect it might prove quite a challenge, and not having a MIB2STD system myself I’m not able to help further.

Sorry.

• Groan 1

Already have an MIB2STD in a SEAT Leon 2015 CUPRA, it is already set to 1023 and that lost TMC in recent weeks. How is the 1430 TMC fix using 1023 working OK for Amundsen/Discover Media/Technisat when it deosn't in another variety?

Edited by IndomitableSnowman

I don't quite understand your question but if your Seat has a MIB2STD and you have a V12 or older map then this fix should work. After the V12 maps VAG moved to a new map supplier for this unit who dropped the TMC support for Inrix. If you're asking why this fix doesn't work on other models e,g. MIB2HIGH then that's because it's a different unit with different software and different maps. Hope that clarifies it for you.

33 minutes ago, bigade1 said:

I don't quite understand your question but if your Seat has a MIB2STD and you have a V12 or older map then this fix should work. After the V12 maps VAG moved to a new map supplier for this unit who dropped the TMC support for Inrix. If you're asking why this fix doesn't work on other models e,g. MIB2HIGH then that's because it's a different unit with different software and different maps. Hope that clarifies it for you.

Hi, I'm using the latest V18 (using the EU-dL2 2110 version) map that is available for the SEAT.

We have a double whammy as the Yeti has a Columbus that has also lost TMC info...

Edited by IndomitableSnowman

If anyone can supply me with basic coding or an executable to amend my Amundsen to accept INRIX TMC data, I'd be delighted. 

Cheers/Iechyd da

John - off to see UB40 in the Piece Hall. 👍🏻

4 hours ago, pcbbc said:

Instructions:

2. Unzip unmodified V12 maps to SD card.  Instead of downloading, you can use your existing copy of V12 maps if you already have a copy.

Give a big thank you to @bigade1 for working out the correct TMC config and doing the testing on his MIB2STD. 👏

Just wanted to give MASSIVE THANKS To @bigade1 and @pcbbc for the result of this post.  Am downloading it now, hopefully my leon and the otherhalfs Arona will finally get the traffic back 🙂 🙂 

Robert 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BionicJohn said:

If anyone can supply me with basic coding or an executable to amend my Amundsen to accept INRIX TMC data, I'd be delighted. 

Cheers/Iechyd da

John - off to see UB40 in the Piece Hall. 👍🏻

No hum….

For MIB2 STANDARD see just a few posts earlier 🙄 

Only works for maps up to and including V12 2020

For MIB2 HIGH see this post…

If current value is 15, replace with 14

If current value is 32783, replace with 32782

Unlike MIB2 STANDARD, this fix works with all map versions

Seat mib2 standard guys have to stick with v12 this one and do your overall.nds business if they want TMC as posted by Pcbbc above under:

here

Seat guys DON'T forget the overall.nds file copy from your original map the unit is attached too. You need this since you haven't got the navigation life time FeC that VW and Skoda have. I haven't tested the process on a Seat since I'm away. I quess it works.

The mib2 high whatever brand attached to it needs the TMC set via coding to 14 or the other code  32782 via VCDS or Oddeleven Pro as posted again by Pcbbc above. That's dependent on whether it has no online service 14 or online 32782.

Peak a boo in the TMC coded set field

15->14

XXXXX-> 32782

We say XXXXX since some vary by brand within AVG.

here

14 also works with mib1 reported here.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bigade1 said:

In your scenario then your Leon will work with the V12 map and patch while your Yeti will work by doing the config posted a couple of pages earlier by pcbbc.

Ta, will give it a go back to V12 and check it out.

The Columbus has always been a PITA from new, so this may force a change to a different headunit.

19 hours ago, pcbbc said:

Instructions:

Many thanks to pcbbc for the update ( and to all the others involved in the search for this solution to getting TMC up and running again for the Skoda MIB2STD ).

Am I correct in thinking that this is for a straight file(s) swap/unzip to the SD card and there's no need for any external connection to the MIB by way of adapters or other software? i.e. copy files to SD card and whack it into the MIB. Looking at step 4 "Check/configure....using VCDS/OBD11" makes it uncertain (in my eyes, at any rate). Or is it simply a check in the relative SD card files.

I would also ask if there is a 2020/V12 version the the very much smaller ECE 1 file (about half the size of that in the link) - the free option of the MEGA software has so many limits on downloading it'll take while next year to receive it !! (well, almost) - or would this involve further tinkering to get it to the same level as for the full 13.5GB file - if so, we'll live with the bigger file.

Is anyone still working on (or even looking at) getting the INRIX data onto the new/latest TomTom files for the MIB2STD? Or is this dead in the water due to licencing, etc.? Either way, this fix is a great step forward, albeit without TMC. So stuff you VAG.

And to perhaps clarify an earlier question, from Tell that wasn't confirmed for denied, in that it would now be possible to swap between the modified "with TMC/V12" files with a download of the current/up-to-date "without TMC" files simply by re-writing the SD card (or having 2 SD cards) depending on requirements?

Great work guys, well done. Appreciated.

Observing with great interest here, but one question re the MIB2STD, lots of talk on using 2 SD cards ... I thought the SD cards required to be Skoda original cards with the security permission (maybe wrong term used) folder/format sector.

If so re the 2 card solution, does it require an additional horrendously expensive Skoda SD card or is there a work around or am I mistaken in my interpretation so far?

Excellent work so far from all 🙂

15 minutes ago, dgc188 said:

Many thanks to pcbbc for the update ( and to all the others involved in the search for this solution to getting TMC up and running again for the Skoda MIB2STD ).

Am I correct in thinking that this is for a straight file(s) swap/unzip to the SD card and there's no need for any external connection to the MIB by way of adapters or other software? i.e. copy files to SD card and whack it into the MIB. Looking at step 4 "Check/configure....using VCDS/OBD11" makes it uncertain (in my eyes, at any rate). Or is it simply a check in the relative SD card files.

I would also ask if there is a 2020/V12 version the the very much smaller ECE 1 file (about half the size of that in the link) - the free option of the MEGA software has so many limits on downloading it'll take while next year to receive it !! (well, almost) - or would this involve further tinkering to get it to the same level as for the full 13.5GB file - if so, we'll live with the bigger file.

Is anyone still working on (or even looking at) getting the INRIX data onto the new/latest TomTom files for the MIB2STD? Or is this dead in the water due to licencing, etc.? Either way, this fix is a great step forward, albeit without TMC. So stuff you VAG.

And to perhaps clarify an earlier question, from Tell that wasn't confirmed for denied, in that it would now be possible to swap between the modified "with TMC/V12" files with a download of the current/up-to-date "without TMC" files simply by re-writing the SD card (or having 2 SD cards) depending on requirements?

Great work guys, well done. Appreciated.

I was just about to ask a similar question, I assumed that the reference to check/config using VCDS/OBD11 meant that I would need to connect to the socket under the dashboard with either a cable or a bluetooth device and my laptop with config software on. I have seen such devices cheap on ebay?   I am an Ex IT technical person but never worked on cars.  The implication of "check" is that it could be correct but if it isn't you have to configure the setting?  Up to a month ago my 2017 car was still running on 2019 maps, I don't believe the firmware of the MIB2 has been updated, I haven't done it and I very much doubt if Skoda Crewe did it.  So is it possible the config is correct? and all I need to do is put the files on my Skoda maps SD card.  If it needs configuring is there an idiots guide to the process on this site.  Thanks. 

Well I finally hit an impasse with Skoda, here is their latest reply:

"Dear XXX

I hope you are well and thank you for your email back.

As previously adviced by XXX there isn't a lot more we can now do as the information provided to us directly from our retailers was that it was a common problem.

Also as previously stated If the fault present was a common occurring fault this would be identified and then become a recall. However after further investigation there is currently no outstanding recalls on your vehicle I can see.

All I can really do now is refer you to the motor ombudsman or you can go to another Skoda Retailer in the network for a second opinion.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards"

I see no point in flogging this horse anymore.

On a more positive note, I am working on a solution that is completely different to the techy one described above. It won't suit everyone, but for those with MIB2 and stuck between out-of-date maps with traffic data, or up-to-date maps with no traffic data, this could potentially be of interest. Once I've tested it all end-to-end I will report back.

• Like 3