TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

Interestingly I’m getting some mixed results with Inrix. The off slip on the M56 to Manchester at Cheadle has been closed all week. Not shown on my satnav but is present on Google maps. A couple of long term road works with traffic lights are shown one day and not the next. A local road was shown as closed but was in fact open. Anyone else seeing these sorts of discrepancies?

Just thought I'd post something slightly interesting and potentially connected...   I've had no TMC for what seems like a few months in the Swift but last week the messages suddenly reappeared and I did nothing to the head unit.  I'm not complaining as they are working and showing in the sat nav but just made me wonder if it was connected in some way to the issues here. 

• Like 1

Wondering if anyone can point out a step I'm missing with enabling traffic. Car is 2017 Octavia vRS.

Purchased obdeleven to make the adaptation to 5f but TMC is still redlined.

The existing code was 32771. I have tried changing to 14 and TMC still crossed through. Tried changing to 32782 and still crossed through.

Is there a basic step I'm missing with the adaptation, like rebooting head unit, tuning radio to a station etc.? Do I need to update maps?

Thanks

3 hours ago, CeeJayCee said:

Certainly the head unit needs to be rebooted after making coding changes.

Is there anything past holding the power button for ten seconds and letting it cycle off and on? 

Just not sure what I'm missing when seems to work for others. 

Thanks

It's not going to be 14 If it was the 5 digit code it came from, will be the 32782 (whatever @pcbbcsaid up aove). I bet you didn't hold onto the take the code button on Obdeleven at the bottom long enough.... turns green or something then says adaption accepted or words to that effect. Not a little tap on that button but a long hold. Then exit Obdeleven. Then it's the reboot. The long hold on the on/off button till the unit reboots.

Also it's good practice to do a scan before coding. Scan and clear. I've had situations where plunging into coding without a scan before hasn't been a good situation. Scan, clear and code.

Lastly there is a short delay whilst it builds it's stuff in the unit on TMC. Leave it a minute or so, then the cross should go out.

Edited by Tell

6 hours ago, Tell said:

It's not going to be 14 If it was the 5 digit code it came from, will be the 32782 (whatever @pcbbcsaid up aove). I bet you didn't hold onto the take the code button on Obdeleven at the bottom long enough.... turns green or something then says adaption accepted or words to that effect. Not a little tap on that button but a long hold. Then exit Obdeleven. Then it's the reboot. The long hold on the on/off button till the unit reboots.

Also it's good practice to do a scan before coding. Scan and clear. I've had situations where plunging into coding without a scan before hasn't been a good situation. Scan, clear and code.

Lastly there is a short delay whilst it builds it's stuff in the unit on TMC. Leave it a minute or so, then the cross should go out.

Thanks for the reply. 

It's definitely taking the adaptation as it's showing the new number when I next connect. Followed the above and still red cross, puzzled!

Do I need to leave it on Classic (actual FM, not DAB), or anything in particular like that?

Edited by Tazdaz

We got this one tuned in on a preset to Classic FM think it's DAB but nothing special. Suppose to be two tuners in the radio, so it uses one of them. It may be helpful to have it tuned to a preset, but I'm out of ideas at the minute. You are not in a difficult part of the country ?.

1 minute ago, Tell said:

We got this one tuned in on a preset to Classic FM think it's DAB but nothing special. Suppose to be two tuners in the radio, so it uses one of them. It may be helpful to have it tuned to a preset, but I'm out of ideas at the minute. You are not in a difficult part of the country ?.

Central belt Scotland, signal is completely fine though. It's not a preset station at the moment so I'll give that a go. 

Was it working on the old set up with Traffic Master ?.

DV52 (trusty DV52) provided some screens on a VW to look out for and toggle:

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/enabling-tmc-in-the-uk-is-it-possible.386243/post-7681169

The rest we know the answer to but it's a check list of seeing TP etc. Why I said was it working on Traffic Master previously then all it needs is that TMC code change, failing that and it never was used then it will be fiddling to see the TP or something on the cars menus.

Edited by Tell

@Tazdaz

You need to check which infotainment unit you have installed as there are 2 different methods to make TMC work again. If you have the Columbus unit installed then the code change should be all that is needed and it should work. On the other hand, if you have the Amundsen unit installed ( which is what I suspect is your issue ) then any code change will be a complete waste of time. In order for the Amundsen unit to get TMC working again you will need to download the older version map and patch posted earlier in this thread and revert to your original 32771 code. I do stand corrected if my suspicion is wrong though.

• Like 1

I'd assumed we were on the right route from the start. If the maps are on an SD card on that year then it's a Amundsen (which is a mib2 standard) then it's the other route without coding using the Pcbbc posted fix of old maps with revised module (development of bigade1 method) in the posts above. If no SD card and you got maps on the system, that year then it's just coding. The Pcbbc method for the Columbus (which is a mib2 high) shown above as well that is just the coding method you have done, that splits into two, 14 code you use if your car didn't come with connect services and the head contained 15 as the TMC code or the revised 5 character code if it had the 5 character code (connect services). That latter solution fixes VWs mib2 high units which can have a different 5 character code starting point. Turned up on the thread. Older mib1 high units can be fixed with the 14 coding, that turned up on the thread as well.

A photo of the map release used in the system, firmware release code etc  also allows people familiar with the units to quickly resolve whether it's a mib2 standard or mib2 high or anything else. I did bring these together for Seatcupra forum in the link above in the posts. All the same solution except for the mib2 standard you have to deploy the "workaround" of copying the overall.nds file if "updating" mib2 standards maps. Seat didn't bless the cars with unlimited mapcare until the final year of mib2s in them... an additional wrinkle. Why I harp on about this in case Seat readers don't do that as well. There is a recovery file I posted up if you fall into that trap which Seat drivers continue to do, not reading the small print. The "workaround" works around not having unlimited mapcare on mib2 on Seats. Mib3 they have fallen inline now.

Other than that it's not toggling some basic parameter or having the station in memory.

Nb. There is one other mib2 standard unit which I think was never fitted to Seat or Skoda where the fix doesn't work. That's signposted above on the thread. You see someone ask for that fix in the text but no follow up.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

That's my fault, stupidly misidentified which system I have based on how the screen and buttons looked. Apologies for wasting your time. 

So I believe I have MIB2 standard, so V12 maps and patch on the SD card.

Thanks

20230808_083357.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tazdaz said:

That's my fault, stupidly misidentified which system I have based on how the screen and buttons looked. Apologies for wasting your time. 

So I believe I have MIB2 standard, so V12 maps and patch on the SD card.

Thanks

20230808_083357.jpg

That's the one where Pcbbc gave two options. Get your coding back to how it was. You need to overwrite those modules.

If we had the photo earlier 😉. 1410 gives it away as a mib2 standard (Amundsen).

I have nicely documented the brilliant work done here on the Seat board:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-136#post-5037297

So you are one release I reckon before V12. Probably best to upgrade to that then you need option a. or b.

Mib2 high (Columbus) I put here:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-136#post-5035425

Saves me referring to the back posts here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tell said:

That's the one where Pcbbc gave two options. Get your coding back to how it was. You need to overwrite those modules.

If we had the photo earlier 😉. 1410 gives it away as a mib2 standard (Amundsen).

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-136#post-5037297

So you are one release I reckon before V12. Probably best to upgrade to that then you need option a. or b.

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/updating-the-inbuilt-mib2-satnav-mib2-tricks-and-lost-mib1-card-solution.388586/page-136#post-5035425

Thanks for summarising. 

I have updated maps to V12, but did not change the fee based traffic value and TMC is working again! 

Value is set to original, 32771.

Edited by Tazdaz
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another VAG group owner here - found the related thread and posts by @pcbbc on a AudiTT site; and noticed that that @Hillbilly23 asked the question I would repeat here - as don't think I've seen an answer, at least not a positve one!  Would the copying solution (to create new source data) work for 2012 Maps (Navtek) in my Audi?  This is currently on DVD, but clearly could be on SD card.  What about getting someone with software tools to modify settings?  I did see a suggestion that the 3G set up might find the alternative TMC provider automatically, but that's not been the case for me. No traffic messages for a few months.  Have so far just tried the factory reset of the MMI system without success.  As with others Audi Digital didn't wnat to know.  So far I'm the only one to ask local main dealer and/or independent it seems - who don't know what to do!  Thanks for any explanations.

Feels like a mib1. There was a report that the coding solution worked for mib1. You got to see what is coded in the infotainment unit on the TMC set code. If you see 15, try 14. That was the reported solution for mib1. For that to work it means that the map file is over engineered for the purpose e.g.. it's generic that it was produced for different markets so was engineered with flexibility.

You have to look into the unit with VCDS / Obdeleven Pro looking for the TMC code set. As see set to 15, change it to 14 and reboot. I don't reckon they would have been kitted out for connect services so that 5 character code doesn't come in. You just got to experiment. That's assuming it was over engineered by the map provider and the system people that coded it into the system. 

You could sniff around Aussie sites that had this unit if any that may have tried to put it on Australian TMC. That was the clue for the mib1 standard. See whether they talking about VCDS coding. It could be straightforward if the mib1 report was correct that was posted up here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tell said:

Feels like a mib1. There was a report that the coding solution worked for mib1. You got to see what is coded in the infotainment unit on the TMC set code. If you see 15, try 14. That was the reported solution for mib1. For that to work it means that the map file is over engineered for the purpose e.g.. it's generic that it was produced for different markets so was engineered with flexibility.

You have to look into the unit with VCDS / Obdeleven Pro looking for the TMC code set. As see set to 15, change it to 14 and reboot. I don't reckon they would have been kitted out for connect services so that 5 character code doesn't come in. You just got to experiment. That's assuming it was over engineered by the map provider and the system people that coded it into the system. 

You could sniff around Aussie sites that had this unit if any that may have tried to put it on Australian TMC. That was the clue for the mib1 standard. See whether they talking about VCDS coding. It could be straightforward if the mib1 report was correct that was posted up here. 

My post was about MMI3G B for which I doubt there is a solution. I don't have or know anyone with VCDS so cannot have a look.

This sets the mmi's into context:

https://mca.electricmura.ro/en/blog-audi-mmi-mib-models/

Afraid you have to poke around into how it's set up to see whether it uses a TMC group or get someone to. If its like the mib2 standard then it hacking. Either way it needs the provider to be excessive in providing the bells and whistles. On the positive side the cartography did become Here Maps so the TMC might be there to be configured. Needs a check with VCDS/Obdeleven Pro for a simple solution beyond that you'd hit programming I reckon. 

Hi i have been following this from the start i have the Skoda Karoq with Columbus 2.5 high with 2x SD sockets and jukebox  is there anyone on here with VCDS that can get TMC working for me in the Kent area  

Thanks

John

On 08/08/2023 at 09:25, Tell said:

I have the same device part and hardware numbers as Tazdaz but a different software number.  Can I assume mine is MIB2std  Amundsen ?  I updated my maps in June so different software number is expected.