2024 facelift hopes and dreams

19 minutes ago, Gingernick70 said:

so DSG is standard now so thats probably 1400 quid straight onto the old RRP

DSG has been standard for while, the manual gearbox was dropped from last June's brochure iirc.

Edited by Neily03

35 minutes ago, Jack_Dangerous said:

Apparently the new headlights are "all weather", maybe they change and work a specific way when you turn on the front fogs

The whole point of front fogs is that they are lower mounted and hence you get less glare reflected back to the driver.

Headlights have to be mounted higher (legal requirement so they can be used when it's not foggy) so any 'fog light function' using only headlights will create more glare back to the driver than lower mounted lights, so I can only see the removal of lower mounted fog lights as a bad move - probably a badly judged cost saving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

The whole point of front fogs is that they are lower mounted and hence you get less glare reflected back to the driver.

Headlights have to be mounted higher (legal requirement so they can be used when it's not foggy) so any 'fog light function' using only headlights will create more glare back to the driver than lower mounted lights, so I can only see the removal of lower mounted fog lights as a bad move - probably a badly judged cost saving.

I dunno, it's just what they said on the presentation website, if i remember correctly my old MK2 Fiat Punto also had the fog lights on the main headlight clusters.

11 minutes ago, Jack_Dangerous said:

I dunno, it's just what they said on the presentation website, if i remember correctly my old MK2 Fiat Punto also had the fog lights on the main headlight clusters.

So did the Mk4 Golf. Are front fogs anything more than “look at me I didn’t buy the base spec” anymore? They’re all bright white LEDs. They should be yellow(er). 

1 hour ago, P100HP said:

No mention of PHEV options in the press pack though?

According to this Autoexpress article, there isn't a PHEV option, at least for now and presumably for a while.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/362295/new-skoda-octavia-facelift-ups-power-and-tech-2024

Which is a big shame as (as per my post below) I'd have been very tempted by a PHEV estate using the 100km range batteries which are going in the Golfs.

On 25/01/2024 at 21:40, DavidY said:

I see that VW has announced some things about the Golf facelift.  I wonder how much of the same we can expect for the Octavia facelift when it is announced next month...?
I've been wondering about EVs but would be sorely tempted by the PHEV if Skoda do an Octavia estate with the same claimed electric range of 62 miles (100km?) as (according to this article) the Golf GTE hatch (and I guess the new Superb estate).

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

Are front fogs anything more than “look at me I didn’t buy the base spec” anymore?

Sadly that's one way many people misuse front fogs. The legal position is quite clear, but since it's never enforced it's basically irrelavnt that so many people misuse front fogs as additional main beam.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice facelift, not sure it's enough for me to seriously consider changing my current 2021 VRS though. I was hoping to see a 4WD version of the petrol VRS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidY said:

I'd have been very tempted by a PHEV estate using the 100km range batteries which are going in the Golfs

I was also looking forward to see what they've changed on the PHEV, but not a word about it.
If you really need the bigger battery/range and you also need the volume of an estate, have a look at the new Superb - it has the new PHEV configuration (1.5 TSI) with the bigger battery and faster charging option, and IIRC two power versions. Sure, it's a bigger class, different price...

1 hour ago, SkOmk4 said:

I was also looking forward to see what they've changed on the PHEV, but not a word about it.
If you really need the bigger battery/range and you also need the volume of an estate, have a look at the new Superb - it has the new PHEV configuration (1.5 TSI) with the bigger battery and faster charging option, and IIRC two power versions. Sure, it's a bigger class, different price...

Not looked in any detail but the new Superbs look like a nice car from what I've seen.

But as you say the price.... and also just the sheer size of them when trying to park etc. would be an issue.

Don't know how many versions will make it to UK, but press pack mentions these engines

Petrol engines   

PowerTorque [Nm]DriveTransmission

1.5 TSI/85 kW (115 hp) 220FWD 6-speed manual

1.5 TSI/85 kW (115 hp) mHEV220FWD 7-speed automatic

1.5 TSI/110 kW (150 hp)250FWD 6-speed manual

1.5 TSI/110 kW (150 hp) mHEV250FWD 7-speed automatic

2.0 TSI/150 kW (204 hp) (2025)320AWD 7-speed automatic

2.0 TSI/195 kW (265 hp)370FWD 7-speed automatic

Diesel engines   

2.0 TDI/85 kW (115 hp)300FWD 6-speed manual

2.0 TDI/110 kW (150 hp)360FWD 7-speed automatic

.Power outputs range from 85 kW (115 hp) in the two entry-level variants to 195 kW (265 hp) in the Octavia RS.
The 2.0 TSI with 150 kW (204 hp) is due to be launched at a later date and will come with all-wheel drive as standard.

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Don't know how many versions will make it to UK, but press pack mentions these engines

Petrol engines   

1.5 TSI/85 kW (115 hp) 220FWD 6-speed manual

1.5 TSI/85 kW (115 hp) mHEV220FWD 7-speed automatic

1.5 TSI/110 kW (150 hp)250FWD 6-speed manual

1.5 TSI/110 kW (150 hp) mHEV250FWD 7-speed automatic

2.0 TSI/150 kW (204 hp) (2025)320AWD 7-speed automatic

2.0 TSI/195 kW (265 hp)370FWD 7-speed automatic

Diesel engines   

2.0 TDI/85 kW (115 hp)300FWD 6-speed manual

2.0 TDI/110 kW (150 hp)360FWD 7-speed automatic

.Power outputs range from 85 kW (115 hp) in the two entry-level variants to 195 kW (265 hp) in the Octavia RS.
The 2.0 TSI with 150 kW (204 hp) is due to be launched at a later date and will come with all-wheel drive as standard.

Thanks for all the information, interesting that there are no talks about 4WD with the more powerful 2.0TSI in the vRS but it will come as standard with the 204HP version in 2025.

Nether the less its a great facelift and good general refinement.

Just now, SC03OTT said:

The vRS being 4x4 in petrol guise is a pipe dream that’s been peddled on here since Adam was a boy. It ain’t happening. It’s not a surprise. 

I guess there needs to be a reason to buy the more expensive Golf R or Cupra Leon. Kinda makes sense.

11 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

Wonder if we’ll get the Sportline this time in the UK. After it was revealed for the pre-FL and then never materialised. 

Not clear if it will make it to UK, but seems to have seats from recycled materials.

In the Sportline variants, Škoda Auto combines elements of the RS look with other powertrains in the series: the 1.5 TSI with 110 kW (150 hp), the 2.0 TSI with 150 kW (204 hp) and all-wheel drive as well as the two 2.0 TDI diesels with 85 kW (115 hp) and 110 kW (150 hp). The sports suspension, lowered by 15 millimetres, and progressive steering are also included as standard. The Škoda grille surround, window frames and wing mirrors are finished in Black Magic metallic on the Octavia Sportline, and the rear side windows and rear window are tinted (“Sunset”). The spoiler lips on the front apron and on the hatchback’s tailgate are also painted in Black Magic metallic, as is the roof spoiler on the Combi. The rear bumper features a Black Magic metallic diffuser. LED rear lights with animated turn indicators and animated Coming/Leaving Home function come as standard, while LED Matrix beam headlights are available as an option. The Octavia Sportline rolls on the new black 17-inch brushed Slagard aero wheels as standard. 18-inch Vega aero wheels and the 19-inch Draconis wheels exclusive to the Sportline are available as options. The front wings are adorned with redesigned Sportline badges. The new, two-dimensional Škoda logo on the bonnet and the Škoda lettering on the tailgate are black. The lettering projected onto the ground from the front doors conforms to the new Škoda CI. The scuff plates are finished in black.  The interior of the Octavia Sportline is also modelled on the RS. Examples include the three-spoke multifunction sports leather steering wheel, the pedals’ stainless-steel look and the decorative strips in Black Middle Carbon on the dashboard and in gloss black on the doors. In the Sportline Design Selection, the sports seats’ upholstery is made of grey recycled fabric and artificial leather. Artificial leather is also used for the door trims and the PAD on the dashboard, complete with double rows of grey stitching.

Here is full list of trim options

Overview of the Design Selections

Trim level. Name of interior, Seats

Essence : Studio Black fabric

Selection Loft : Black fabric

Selection Lodge : Recycled fabric/artificial leather

Selection Lounge : Black Suedia/artificial leather

Selection Suite Black : AGR certified ergonomic seats Black perforated eco leather/artificial leather

Selection Suite Cognac : AGR certified ergonomic seats Cognac perforated eco leather/artificial leather

Sportline : Sportline Sports seats, recycled grey fabric/artificial leather

RS : RS Fabric : Black fabric

RS : Suedia Artificial leather/black Suedia

• Like 1

Seems to be a bunch of fairly minor cosmetic tweaking in the '24 facelift, almost for the sake of it. Doesn't stand out from the pre facelift MY23 imho, although I guess that's what facelifts do (vs. a model change). I think it would have been a useful and popular upgrade to add a rear bumper guard, especially on the wagon. 

• Like 2

Nothing to make me regret purchasing my manual petrol RS Combi in October; still no physical climate controls just a bigger screen stuck on the dash and more nannying "safety" systems binging and bonging at you no doubt. The extra 20hp would be nice but nothing a potential future remap can't fix. 😃

19 minutes ago, Mario_Delgado said:

To be checked once all is properly released but ... do you think that the screen could be retrofitted? 

Nice idea. But isn't HW for infotainment less powerful in the early models of the mk4? As far as I know they upgraded it somewhere in 2022. Could be that our HW would struggle even more with a bigger display.

1 hour ago, Mario_Delgado said:

To be checked once all is properly released but ... do you think that the screen could be retrofitted? 

Most probably not without main infotaiment unit.

It's a next generation MIB now (MIB 3.5 if i'm not mistaken).

In the past there were some success stories on retrofitting newer MIB to some cars, but am not sure if it's possible with current generation of cars.

I had hoped for manual climate controls similar to the new Superb.  Other than that, minor tweaks. That screen size though....

I'm thinking in 2 years or so ordering as I suspect that'll be the end of the pure petrol VRS. My current bus will be 4 years old at that point.

Edited by Hairy_Joe

1 hour ago, Felix2021 said:

Most probably not without main infotaiment unit.

It's a next generation MIB now (MIB 3.5 if i'm not mistaken).

In the past there were some success stories on retrofitting newer MIB to some cars, but am not sure if it's possible with current generation of cars.

I think that you are right, you would need to do the combo. As @TheUltraRunner says, control unit in old versions is less powerful, depending on the resolution of the new head unit the response could be laggy; assuming that the new one is plug and play, of course (Wiring diagrams to be checked).