Columbus Update - Confused owner

I'm new to this forum, and despite trolling through all the Columbus entries, I'm still confuse about upgrades to the original installation in my Superb Elegence Estate, registered Sep 2012.  When I bought the car in Feb 2013 (demonstartor model), it did not come with a SatNav disk or cartridge.

Pressing Setup and hold for 15 seconds yields following installed system version information on the screen:

P/N 3T0035680E, H/W Version H61, S/W Version 3984, Supplier Navteq, Map Version HDD 7690.

On the advice of my local Skoda dealer I have bought from them P/N S3T0051859M for £200 incl VAT.  The package (unopened) is labelled "Skoda Navigation DVD Europe West (V9) for Superb (3T), Yeti, Octavia (1Z)".and on backside "Navigation DVD Europe West (V9) A2C31261503, Navteq".  They said I could easily load it myself.

Before I break the seal on the package, I have some questions:

(1) Is this the correct upgrade?  How do I compare the version info on the screen with that on the box?

(2) I presume from the cost, this must be an upgrade of the entire Columbus system.  Do I need that, or is there a cheaper way to upgrade just the maps, for example?

(3) How often are map upgrades available, and how does one determine the date of any particular upgrade (eg V9)?

Many thanks for your understanding - I know these sorts of questions get asked often and must be tedious, but I would appreciate some advice from someone who knows!  I don't mind climbing moutains, but do appreciate a word with someone who has done it before!

Edited by devoneddie

The firmware can be updated, but it won't make much difference.

£200 for an outdated disk (Skoda are on v.11 while VW have v.12 which will work) is a rip off IMO.

Ask for a refund if it's still unopened.

• Like 2

I am not a great fan of the supplied navteq system,it works but there are better,faster and more accurate sat nav systems around,i would never consider paying  for map/firmware upgrades.

Just my opinion ! thou. :x

On the advice of my local Skoda dealer I have bought from them P/N S3T0051859M for £200 incl VAT.  The package (unopened) is labelled "Skoda Navigation DVD Europe West (V9) for Superb (3T), Yeti, Octavia (1Z)".and on backside "Navigation DVD Europe West (V9) A2C31261503, Navteq".  They said I could easily load it myself.

Before I break the seal on the package, I have some questions:

(1) Is this the correct upgrade?  How do I compare the version info on the screen with that on the box?

(2) I presume from the cost, this must be an upgrade of the entire Columbus system.  Do I need that, or is there a cheaper way to upgrade just the maps, for example?

(3) How often are map upgrades available, and how does one determine the date of any particular upgrade (eg V9)?

This is a scandal and continues to demonstrate that, however good a dealer may be in other ways, they haven't clue when it comes to the Columbus and keep insisting that v9 is the latest when it is 2.5 years old! To have the temerity to charge £200 for it is extortion - take it back a.s.a.p. and ask them if they want to borrow v12.

Your firmware (labelled S/W Version 3984) and software (Maps 7690) ie. v8.0, are the same levels as my Superb Estate was when built in mid-November 2011.

I have since updated them to firmware 5274 and software v12.0.

There isn't much to be gained by updating the firmware - radio data, Video In Motion, and some say faster routing but you should definitely update the maps to v12 which many of us have been using since before Christmas.

I'm not allowed to tell you where to get them and it depends a little on your ability to download .iso files and burn successfully to dual layer DVDs but Google is your friend.

Best of all would be to find another Columbus owner in your area to assist you. Remember too that what Skoda call a Columbus is known as an RNS-510 across the rest of the VAG range.

• Like 1

Just take them to the small claims court just the threat normally has the desired effect a letter in the local press also seems to work

• Like 1

Devoneddie here again - I'm now the formerly Confused Columbus Owner

This forum certainly does what it says on the label. Many, many thanks to all for your very prompt and excellent advice.

I visited my Skoda dealer yesterday, and after a bit of research on their part, they agreed the DVD they sold me was out of date and offered to exchange it for V-11.  They insisted their DVD contained only map data, not firmware (eg radio, bluetooth,etc) update, which I think is incorrect in view of the price but irrelevant - I don't need a firmware update.  We agreed neither of us were well informed when they sold it to me, and on that basis we settled on a full refund.

I have found two reputable-looking web suppliers of V-12 map update DVD for my RNS-510, which makes it easy for me to load the data.  They are priced at £19.99 and £34.00 respectively, both very reasonable compared to my £200 lol!  The latter supplier offers future updates at 50% discount.  Neither have any on-line details on loading, but I presume that comes with the DVD or instructions are imbedded in the disk. 

Any advice on which is recommended?  I understand I can't name the suppliers on this forum.

Maps updates are simply maps. No firmware updates etc.

The places on the web are selling clone copies (ripped off from various sources :x ) of maps which they've managed to glean from some means or another. I know of a few people who've bought discs from them and haven't managed to get a working copy. As you've realised, the real deal costs rather a lot while the copies are silly cheap.

BTW, V13 is due to hit the streets some time soon, so unless you want to be left behind I would possibly hang on a while. The online sellers usually take about 3 months to catch up to the new versions.

Neither have any on-line details on loading, but I presume that comes with the DVD or instructions are imbedded in the disk. 

Just stick the disk in the slot and give it a few hours and it'll update itself. You won't be able to use the satnav while this happens, but it can do the update while parked in your driveway with the engine off.

I have found two reputable-looking web suppliers of V-12 map update DVD for my RNS-510, which makes it easy for me to load the data.  They are priced at £19.99 and £34.00 respectively, both very reasonable compared to my £200 lol!  The latter supplier offers future updates at 50% discount.  Neither have any on-line details on loading, but I presume that comes with the DVD or instructions are imbedded in the disk. 

Any advice on which is recommended?  I understand I can't name the suppliers on this forum.

I can pretty much guarantee that they're not selling legit DVDs, they'll simply be the files that are freely available to download yourself burned to a DVD.

• Like 1

Had some warranty work done on 2011 Elegance Estate during the week and I asked for the Columbus to be updated. Has been updated to V-10 which was the latest the dealer said they had. Unable to get into the system anymore and check the revision because holding the setup button no longer lets me in. Can I enable this and how? I do have VCDS

Have followed the above procedure but result is still the same, I get to the FM + AM but no information. Doing something wrong here? I could access this info prior to the dealer updating the unit.

You may need to apply the three button reset to make it active. Press and hold the two on the top left along with the one on the top right for 5 secs.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This is DevonEddie again about updating Columbus SatNav (see my original message 29 March 2015).  I never got around to bying an "illegal" DVD on line, so I'm still stuck on Verion 8 as originally installed in 2012.  Early last June I received an email from Skoda offering free map and software updates online.  They referenced website  http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/.  I have only just got around to trying it.  I first found the VIN box was very sensitive, giving "Invalid VIN" error messages.  After several tries, I concluded copy-and-paste doesn't work.  I at last got in by entering the VIN character-by-character.  I then got a message "There were no software updates for the VIN", this despite my map data and software are still on Version V8,  I suspect that after having several "Invalid VIN" errors, their system has concluded I'd already successfully downloaded the update.  Any suggestions how to get around this? Or have I misdiagnosed the problem?   I'm still a confused (and now frustrated) owner.  My version is so old I frequently find myself driving across fields, with "Doris" (as we call her) going mad trying to get me out!

Yes, I see you're quite right,  On the http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ under FAQ is the following:

"Why are not older devices in supported navigation systems ŠKODA?

Older systems ŠKODA were not designed for this concept of updates and therefore for these retained the original method."

I guess the "original method" is going back to paying £200 for a legit update version or a cheap (and potentilally risky) illegal DVD.  Seems a severe burden for owning an older vehicle.

The same bits and bytes. How can "illegal" DVD be more risky than original?

Updated maps twice already, no problems.

About "illegal". My opinion is: paying 1200 euros for navigation I`ve paid for liftime maps already and even more . Legal or illegal.