VCDS - Tear wipe and disabling xenon washer

Is it possible to enable tear wipe on the front wipers? I have VCDS and looked around a little but couldn't fint where to enable tear wipe on the front wipers, only on the rear ones. And is it possible to disable the xenon washers thru VCDS or should I just pull the fuse? 

Is it possible to enable tear wipe on the front wipers? I have VCDS and looked around a little but couldn't fint where to enable tear wipe on the front wipers, only on the rear ones. And is it possible to disable the xenon washers thru VCDS or should I just pull the fuse? 

They are a requirement with cars fitted with xenon headlights (Along with auto-levelling functionality). As mentioned they only work when the headlights are on and then only every five or so separate uses of the windscreen washers.

I have to ask... what is tear / tear drop wipe..?

It's the function where after using the windscreen washers the wipers wipe for a few wipes initially as normal then after a space of maybe 5 seconds they do an additional wipe to clear up any dribbles.

Both our mk1 Fabia vRSs did this but the Superb doesn't.

Can't say I miss it though when I go from driving the mrs' vRS to driving my Superb. I do like how the superb does a slightly slower last wipe though to try and stop any splashes up from the wipers. :)

Someone on here managed to change the delay for the xenon headlight washers using VCDS.

So that you had to pull the wiper stalk back for say 2-3 seconds minimum before the xenon washers activated, rather than them starting immediately. Could be worth trying that?

Edited by Bogwoppit

Hi all, yes it's mandatory that they work when getting your car checked at inspection but I have never hade anyone check if they even work and I find them totally worthless, they only drain the washer fluid and seem to brake on every single car, so in my opinion I find em totally ****.

I've changed the setting in VCDS to 15 cycles instead of 5 cycles of using the window washer but I also saw that there's a setting in VCDS to disable the headlight washers totally, just wondering if anyone tried that out?

It's worth bearing in mind that the headlamp washers only activate if the lights are on.

This is not correct, at least not on our Superb. I have the switch on Auto and regularly when I use the windscreen jets the Xenon jets come on too.

Hi all, yes it's mandatory that they work when getting your car checked at inspection but I have never hade anyone check if they even work and I find them totally worthless, they only drain the washer fluid and seem to brake on every single car, so in my opinion I find em totally ****.

I've changed the setting in VCDS to 15 cycles instead of 5 cycles of using the window washer but I also saw that there's a setting in VCDS to disable the headlight washers totally, just wondering if anyone tried that out?

Hi Scootie - can you tell me what number of cycles was on your FL by default?

I keep reading that the headlights (if Xenon) will get hit every 5 cycles yet the FL's owners manual says every 10?

Hi Scootie - can you tell me what number of cycles was on your FL by default?

I keep reading that the headlights (if Xenon) will get hit every 5 cycles yet the FL's owners manual says every 10?

It was set to 5 cycles, dunno if it came as that from the factory since I'm the second owner of the car. And this is car sold in Sweden where we have pretty ****ty weather in the winters, could be a factor to include in that.

It was set to 5 cycles, dunno if it came as that from the factory since I'm the second owner of the car. And this is car sold in Sweden where we have pretty ****ty weather in the winters, could be a factor to include in that.

Thanks - I suspect there is a misprint in the manual. I need to do a count next time I'm in our pretty ****ty Irish summer weather..!   :rain:

This is not correct, at least not on our Superb. I have the switch on Auto and regularly when I use the windscreen jets the Xenon jets come on too.

Yes it is correct..... The headlight washers will only work when the headlights are on. I don't believe there is any make of car with xenons and the headlights washers work without the headlights being on.....

If your lights are set to auto and your headlight washers are working with the windscreen washers then either the lights have turned on or you have a fault somewhere. ;)

Edited by WaveyDavey

Every MOT our cars have had over the last 13 years (5 cars fitted with xenon headlights) have resulted in the cars coming away from the MOT with wet headlights. And that's from more than one MOT test place. Edited by WaveyDavey

Every MOT our cars have had over the last 13 years (5 cars fitted with xenon headlights) have resulted in the cars coming away from the MOT with wet headlights. And that's from more than one MOT test place.

I've never had a car where the washers have been tested so I have no interest in having them working and wasting my money.

I've never had a car where the washers have been tested so I have no interest in having them working and wasting my money.

With xenon headlights they must be tested, failure to test them could see the test centre lose their license. Two different test centres failed the Audi, first time both were broken and this year one worked and the other was dead. One has to wonder if they are not testing mandatory items, what else are they not testing.

From the MOT testers manual.

Method of inspection:

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

Reason for Rejection:

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

Edited by mannyo
  • Like 1

Wasting what money? Couple of pence of washer fluid?

• Like 1

Wasting what money? Couple of pence of washer fluid?

But hey, it's not your money is it? Try to drive thru a winter season in Sweden and see if it's only "pennies".. And whats the ****ing point of wasting money on something that doesn't work?!? They don't do anything useful on a car other than brake down to let the repair shop earn more money.

STAY TO TOPIC PEOPLE.

Front teardrop wipe is a function of the wiper motor. You'll need to select 09 and then the wiper subsystem (Component: Wischer), at which point it should be byte 1, bit 3.

For headlight washers, try deselecting byte 20 bit 5 of the BCM. Just promise you'll have some consideration for other drivers and keep your lights clean ;)

• Like 1

Front teardrop wipe is a function of the wiper motor. You'll need to select 09 and then the wiper subsystem (Component: Wischer), at which point it should be byte 1, bit 3.

For headlight washers, try deselecting byte 20 bit 5 of the BCM. Just promise you'll have some consideration for other drivers and keep your lights clean ;)

THANK YOU :)

Yeah, I always make a stop every 30 minutes or so on longer road trips to wash the windows and headlights at a gas-store and wash my car twice a week winter time so no worries :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hardware solution to disable headlight washer is rather simple. 

On Superb you just need to pull out fuse nr. 36 in the cabin. That fuse is dedicated to the headlight washing only then on VCDS scan you will get an error - Open circuit.

Edited by dkarolj

+1 on that....

Something isn't right there.

If your headlight washers are operating without either dipped headlights or sidelights turned on then you have a fault or someone has been fiddling with VCDS.

Some early MkII Superb's utilised the dipped headlights as DRL's, this meant the headlights were always on with the ignition (i.e. all of the time), this would then result in the headlight washers operating every 5th pull (approx.) of the wiper stalk.