Best driving road?

Pedd

Just back from a weekend in the highlands and was wondering what the best road for a blast was. Drove from Inverness to Lochinver on the A835 and enjoyed every mile. Long straights, sweeping bends and some real twisty bits. The vRS was a great companion with plenty of torque for the steep bits and passing the tourists. Oh and the scenery was spectacular. Highly recomemded! Still managed 49 mpg ( from trip milage and fuel used not computer).

done several driving holidays in Scotland, and some bloody cracking roads! around the Cairngorms is nice, passing some of the ski area's ect... we stayed in Balleter a couple of years , some really nice roads......

"The Scots & Welsh have the pick of the best driving/riding roads in the UK."

You are sooo right. Next time any of you travel north I can recommend the following.

B974 Fettercairn to Banchory - "The Cairn O'Mount

A939 Cockbridge to Grantown on Spey - "The Lecht"

A93 Ballater to Blairgowrie - " The Devils Elbow"

B9176 Alness to Bonar Bridge - "The Struie"

A9 Latheron to Halkirk (it's like Spa - a lot of VERY fast bends)

A835 Garve to Ullapool

And finally

A890 Achnasheen to Kirkton (single track madness :):):))

And the joy is that these are the roads that I travel to go to work :rofl:

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

It's only like 2 miles but the Headington to Islip road in Oxfordshire... at 2 in the morning for speed or on any sunny day for a magical view towards the end.

The M6 south at 3am on a Friday morning. ;)

Seriously though there are a few good driving roads around here (SW Scotland) Though not exactly flat I enjoy driving the road up through the Gleniffer Braes to Paisley.

Pedd....you wouldbve gone right passed my house on that route:).....did you do the coast road from achilitybachilty to lochinver or go straight up to ledmore then hang a left?......the road from there across to lairg is a good road:)......bit hairy in places and single track......and the road to kylesku is pant browning in places!!!:)

k:)

The 4 roundabouts between Tesco (A2) and the M2 J4 link road. I could drive up and down there all day. :rofl:

Thats reminded me of the old days. 2 roundabout on the A57 between huyton and prescot. The joys of being 17-18 ;)

A811 Stirling Straights !!!

Hello from a fellow Stirling dweller! :):)

But the Stirling Straights as a driving road? Must see if I can max out the Octy next time I go to Loch Lomond :D:D

M4 between Bath & Swindon

Pure magic!

its mainly straight, i find that road boring.

The lakes are good, wherever we went on sunday with sharkrider was a great one, no other road will seem as good after doing that one :thumbup:

A7 from edinburgh to Galashiels full of bends some nice straight bits not really chucked the fabia about on that road much but have done with my other cars, I do hold a record of getting to my uncles in a respectable time which I have not repeated since and it was in a micra!

Davy

Soundmixer you have named some of the best roads in Scotland. I have driven all of them but not in my vRS.

Kit I used to live in Ullapool so have had many a blast going to Lochinver Kinlochbervie or Scrabster on business. My appetite is truely wetted for another excursion soon :)

One I don't see much sign of -Fort Augustus to Inverness via the B roads (B862 and then either B852 or veer off on to the B851, after a few miles on the 852)

Two of these take you directly into Inverness ,the other takes you to the A9

Makes a pleasant change from the A82 -not a lot of traffic,thought these are mostly single track, but the only worry you've got is taking off over some of the humps(and those that don't seem too bad )

Found my little furby loved it .

Hey dudes - i like the references to the Scottish roads - especially the Stirling straights (now with added roundabout) and the Loch Lomond road. I'm from that area - but now based in Yorkshire. Have you tried the road over the tops from Loch Lomond to Fast Lane naval base. Wicked stuff of smooth long corners and speed and ace visibility. Top Gear used it a few times as well.

Cheers.