DRL Aggression

Some cars have the DRLs in the foglights which can be confused with having foglights on but the VRS is not like this so no idea what the guy was on. Somehow must have thought you had your fogs on instead.

Be careful doing that misuse of your fog lights both front/rear can land you with a £60 fine +points.

What part of Surrey are you from cos in Mitcham they don't.

Nearly every idiot, regardless of how crap their motor looks, drive with them on.

My car was delivered with DRL's activated (back in late 2008). I never bother to turn them off. Never knowingly encountered any problems. It is possible to enable fog lights as DRLs (using VCDS) but they are not legal in England.

Surprised that some folk are getting worked up about lights on in the day. SWMBO's BMW has those round lights which are on all the time, which never seems to cause any reaction.

It'll die down as time goes by and more cars have them.

Edited by Chipping

What part of Surrey are you from cos in Mitcham they don't.

Nearly every idiot, regardless of how crap their motor looks, drive with them on.

Mitcham can also be classed as a part of Sarf London...

Where do I live? Unfortunately in the middle half-way between London & Pompey (5th friendliest city in the UK!), where you are likely to get picked up on it if the weather isn't foggy.

Nearly every idiot, regardless of how crap their motor looks, who drives with them [fog lights] on when I am at work and it's not foggy receives a cheerful little fixed penalty notice.

... it is possible to enable fog lights as DRLs (using VCDS) but they are not legal in England.

I don't know if you can enable the fogs themselves, since these would be illegal - but the DRLs use the secondary bulb in the fog housing, which is entirely road legal as far as I'm aware. Unless anyone knows differently?

There is a West Midlands Police Dog FL Oct VRS estate in working in Coventry (so in the same area as you Spudhoolio) that has its DRL's on all the time, so it would be interesting to know if the same tonsil decides to do swear and shake there fist at that the officer that drives it, something tells me they won't!! :giggle:

Edited by king6897

Surprised that some folk are getting worked up about lights on in the day. SWMBO's BMW has those round lights which are on all the time, which never seems to cause any reaction.

It'll die down as time goes by and more cars have them.

I’ve done about 35K miles in my 1 series BMW and never had anyone even notice the halo DRLs. At least nobody has taken obvious offence. Perhaps it’s because the BMW ones aren’t as bright as the ones on an Audi?

My link

might be a member of the DADRL ,tell em to Feck off.. :moon:

Im all for banning them, they serve no purpose whatsoever. They make the drivers look pompous and arrogant (noone else has them on). Ive heard of a court case in North Yorks recently where someone had DRL's on and another car pulled out thinking he was 'flashing' him out. There was a nasty collision. The case is ongoing I believe. The statistics are there to say that they cause more accidents than they save so making your car look, sporty, cool etc is at what price? They are certainly not there for safety.

Hateful things

Rant over!

Im all for banning them, they serve no purpose whatsoever. They make the drivers look pompous and arrogant (noone else has them on). Ive heard of a court case in North Yorks recently where someone had DRL's on and another car pulled out thinking he was 'flashing' him out. There was a nasty collision. The case is ongoing I believe. The statistics are there to say that they cause more accidents than they save so making your car look, sporty, cool etc is at what price? They are certainly not there for safety.

Hateful things

Rant over!

Looks like we will be seeing a lot more of them. Personally I think they are a good idea.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2008/2/14/daytime-running-lights-to-become-law/27031/

Hateful things

Rant over!

The thing is that if you drive in some parts of Europe it is the law that you have to drive with your lights on,and probably the reason why now you are getting DRL'S fitted to some UK vehicles as it could become law in this country maybe..If the car driver who pulled out because he THOUGHT he was being flashed,then if you not sure don't pull out.Flashes of light can be caused by all kinds of things while driving,it's your own responsibility as a car driver to be more observant on the road..I don't have a problem with DRL'S,most young lads drive around in the day with fogs on to make the car look more cool,so if they had DRL'S fitted and it stopped them from using fog lights i am all for it...

Hateful things

Rant over!

I've obviously been pompous and arrogant for the last 7 or 8 years then. DRLs are always on, they don't flash and in my previous cars I drove everywhere with the dipped headlamps on as it makes the car more visible, especially on a silver or grey car which can blend into the background very easily.

Where are these statistics you mentioned? As I will almost certainly be able to find statistics that show the opposite... (all this does is show that stats can be used to prove just about anything)

It should also be pointed out, that technically, a flash of the headlamps is actually to warn of your presence but this has somehow over time been un-officially changed to people taking it as an invitation to proceed.

Looking at the statement above then the driver pulling out was obviously not paying attention to the speed of the person that supposedly flashed him. Drivers need to take everything into account and not just assume that because they (thought they) saw a flash it's ok to go...

From the highway code

Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.

Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

I'm going to echo some of the above here but using a headlamp flash is warn other road users of your presence. It should never be taken as an invitation to pull out. You must use your own judgment. Every driving test in this country will teach you that. It's written, as above, in the highway code. In respect of the on going court case I find it hard to believe it's still on going, IMO the driver who pulled out is at fault unfortunately for them; then again I wan't there and don't know the full details but if he's blaming factory fitted permenant front lights then I think he's barking up the wrong tree myself - I'd be looking for a better excuse.

As for me I find DRLs a tad bright but I kinda like 'em style-wise. I don't get why they dim when you turn your lights on manually and I would have thought that having rear DRLs would help reduce accidents also by making your vehicle more visible and thus less likely to be involved in a rear end shunt.

Interestingly I think I read on here that DRLs were or were due to be made law in Oz but after a trail the number of accidents went up so - DRLs are no longer required. But correctly if I'm wrong there.