1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

On 14/09/2020 at 08:23, rayx said:

They are bad folks ... Wrong sparks used, Bosch FR7ldc+ (NGK BKR6EK) instead of Bosch F5KPP332SBN (NGK PFR7S8EG) ...

According this photo loss of compression happened on cylinder 2 and not 4 as they said ... Are you sure the engine did not drink oil over the alloved limit?

Melted exhaust valve on cyl2 says something different, oil thirsty beast ...

"Oil consumption wasn't too bad ,around a litre for a thousand miles" says everything,

a bit over or just on the limit (up to 0,5 litre for 624 miles/1000km) for long time does what it has done.

gl60xbo.jpg

That picture is from before the 1st repair, so far no one has honoured their warranty on any of the repairs...

33 minutes ago, Sno_monsta said:

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=118

I would hope you have the 3rd Gen engine.

I dont think they provided me a 3rd Gen engine.It was a 2nd gen TSi engine. But i wish it has got the revised timing tensioner and piston rings.  

SuperRaj - Better chance of finding this information if you can supply the engine code and production date, which is normally encoded in the vehicle documentation and a sticker on the timing chain cover.  From this you  can work out when the base engine was actually made - production year and week - Not the date it was fitted.  It may have been in storage for a long time before fitting.  Best if you can post up a photo from the engine, then the more clever experts who visit here may be able to better advise.

21 hours ago, davetheosteopath said:

SuperRaj - Better chance of finding this information if you can supply the engine code and production date, which is normally encoded in the vehicle documentation and a sticker on the timing chain cover.  From this you  can work out when the base engine was actually made - production year and week - Not the date it was fitted.  It may have been in storage for a long time before fitting.  Best if you can post up a photo from the engine, then the more clever experts who visit here may be able to better advise.

This is the Engine serial number written on the replaced engine.(Image)

And the original one had engine serial number:-CDA272192

IMG_20200918_112424.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Result. Well done, thanks for the update, maybe update your thread as well?  It is a shame it is only the dealer who suffers the brunt but that is the contractual model and they really should of been on the ball more in this case. The terminal failure only a week or two after diagnostic checks would of worked in your favour plus the visibility of the number of issues like in this thread.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Every manufacturer has engine failures. It is a very small percentage. I have Dec 2010 registered Octavia VRS which is two months out of warranty. Just 15000 miles - full service history

That small percentage of a very large number of the Euro 5 1,8 and 2.0 TDIs, is a very large number of engines that the VW group pass off as a very small percentage.  Sadly "honesty' was not VW,s policy so the size of the percentage is unknown.  Long story short is that it is a lottery if you get a good one, a bad one or maybe a bad one fixed and now good.   Other manufacturers to have failures, but VW group were caught out as the biggest cheats in the car / engine  manufacturing industry.  As for building lemons, they never admit their failings. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 11/05/2021 at 22:51, e-Roottoot said:

Long story short is that it is a lottery if you get a good one, a bad one or maybe a bad one fixed and now good. 

When you say a "bad one fixed and now good" does this generally mean that as long as the tensioner issues are addressed that the car is generally 'good'?

I'm going to view a 2010 vRS that had an engine replacement in 2015 and the new engine has 40k on it. With the revised tensioners is this car as reliable as any other in the sense that nothing can be guaranteed but there aren't any other glaring issues that make it a bad purchase?

55 minutes ago, Simon_1892 said:

When you say a "bad one fixed and now good" does this generally mean that as long as the tensioner issues are addressed that the car is generally 'good'?

I'm going to view a 2010 vRS that had an engine replacement in 2015 and the new engine has 40k on it. With the revised tensioners is this car as reliable as any other in the sense that nothing can be guaranteed but there aren't any other glaring issues that make it a bad purchase?

I had my Engine replaced following tensioner failure in my 2011 vrs in 2018 .The only other expensive ltem that they are prone to from that era is the air intake manifold flaps coking up showing an error message.This can cost about £900 to be replaced. The replacement one is a different revision and less prone to faliure.If you YouTube it there are plenty of videos .You should check it has the revised one.I got mine done when the engine was placed as they had to remove it to change the engine.

Watch the video on the below link to see the differences and you can check if the car you are looking at has the revised one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuclear_Jules said:

Mine was definitely a bad one, new turbo, con rods, pistons and timing chains an tensioners sorted it. Do you know the build date of the replacement engine?

Yes the build date of the replacement engine is 1.07.15. From that alone is it possible to tell which parts would have been used?

Thanks very much for that info Streetfighter, I'll be sure to check the intake manifolds when I go to look. How long have you had your vRS for? Have you been happy with it overall?

11 minutes ago, Simon_1892 said:

Yes the build date of the replacement engine is 1.07.15. From that alone is it possible to tell which parts would have been used?

Thanks very much for that info Streetfighter, I'll be sure to check the intake manifolds when I go to look. How long have you had your vRS for? Have you been happy with it overall?

I've had it since 2012.I got my money back for the engine replacement from the garage as there was a distinct rattle for a few seconds on start up which is a precursor to the cam chain going .l told the garage twice but they said not to worry then it whent bump.The car had done 100,000 miles at that stage.It took 2 years through the motoring ombudsman before they found in my favour. I got the manifold changed at the same time.lts done 30:000 on the new engine with no problems.

It's a dsg with full leather interior and Columbus media system.Everything else has been solid and it still drives really well.If Dsg make sure the Dsg oil has been changed at every 40:000 miles.lt still drives and handles like the day l got it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. This is gonna be something new here, I guess.

Yesterday I was driving my octavia 3 1.8 tsi and I redlined it (almost) in 2nd and tried shifting in 3rd. First time it didn't engage and I have had this issue in the past where at higher rpms of engine, 3rd wouldn't engage.

Then, I tried again and this caused the car to suddenly engine brake, like it went to 1st (this happenned at about 90kph).

After this, I got it in neutral and clearly it started sounding tappety with a knock, but it kept the idle. Then when I tried to move from standstill the engine felt powerless and died.

Pulled it over and now I have EPC light and waiting to get it in for inspection.

From your knowledge, have you ever heard of this? Does this mean I need a complete new engine or maybe it's just some bent valves?

Thanks

Car is 2011 1.8 TSi

I’m aware of the issue but wanted to know if anyone has had this lately

ive got the dreaded piston oil leak issue (I think)

2 litres of oil every 400miles

tailpipe is really sooty

been ignoring for a while but can’t anymore 

how much will this cost me and does it have to be through a Skoda dealer ?

Lucky for me mine was fixed by the Skoda dealership under warranty. New turbo and bottom end rebuild they estimated it was the best part of 6k to do all the work. No idea on the cost of a recon engine but would think less than 5k