The Handbrake

My alfa has both sort of  ( and amazingly it works!)  so it has a manual handle but also has hill hold..so on a certain angle hill if you dont engage the handbrake but keep your foot on the brake pedal, then when you want to move off you lift your foot off the pedal and it holds for for a few seconds..you just drive off and it disengages..sounds like the same as huskoda above

The Superb II and the Octy III hill hold on manual transmission work in exactly the same was as your Alfa, if the car is on an slope >15 degrees, the HHC holds the brakes for 2 seconds after you take your foot off the brake pedal, which just gives you enough time to find the biting point on the clutch and move away without the car rolling.

so if it already has hill hold why the need for a full electronic handbrake? I prefer having something uncomplicated as back up!

Edited by FTM
  • Like 1

so if it already has hill hold why the need for a full electronic handbrake? I prefer having something uncomplicated as back up!

I did not say it needed full electronic handbrake but in my experience with a Passat inc auto hold which was an option over and above standard electronic brake, I would not want electronic without autohold which many Passats do without and IMO that may have put many off such systems

• 1 month later...

Well, on holiday I got to use both a car with the handbrake on the wrong side (on the right hand side of a LHD car?!?!?!) and also a Passat with an electronic handbrake.

The handbrake on the wrong side was annoying. Especially with stuff in the tray next to it.

The electronic handbrake, well, it was unusable. It would not turn off, pressing the button or anything. I was told 'they do that sometimes' (amusingly a second one was the same) and to just drive it and it would release. OK, so I did. And stopped 100m down the road because the smell of burning clutch was so bad, plus I was worried it would suddenly release and I would catapult forward. It did eventually release while I was stationary when I pressed various combinations of pedals.

No. Bloody. Thanks.

I have one on my current car (Grand C4 Picasso) - I've never had any problems with it, but would rather have a manual handbrake. I don't like having to sit with my foot on the brake at junctions etc.

Was glad to see a manual one on the new Octavia VRS I looked at last weekend (although it would be nice if they put it on the driver's side of the console).

On Passat to release automatically you require authold turned on and the seat belt on. To release manually you have to do press the break pedal and then the button.

As has been mentioned with auto hold it is excellent. Without would be a pita.

Well, on holiday I got to use both a car with the handbrake on the wrong side (on the right hand side of a LHD car?!?!?!) and also a Passat with an electronic handbrake.

The handbrake on the wrong side was annoying. Especially with stuff in the tray next to it.

The electronic handbrake, well, it was unusable. It would not turn off, pressing the button or anything. I was told 'they do that sometimes' (amusingly a second one was the same) and to just drive it and it would release. OK, so I did. And stopped 100m down the road because the smell of burning clutch was so bad, plus I was worried it would suddenly release and I would catapult forward. It did eventually release while I was stationary when I pressed various combinations of pedals.

No. Bloody. Thanks.

AN electronic H/B would mean you wouldn't get many learners in one as you can't use them on your test. I recall a story where someone turned up in a S6 and the examiner refused to go out as there was no manual H/B. Followed by a 'disappointed' photo in the Daily Hail.

• 1 year later...

Today morning when starting the car my handbrake was frozen (and it wasnt even below 0), after relasing the handbrake and putting into drive, I had slightly prolonged pause followed by ugly sound of unfrozening.

Not sure should I just trust DSG park (although I always park on even grounds) in winter times..

Today morning when starting the car my handbrake was frozen (and it wasnt even below 0), after relasing the handbrake and putting into drive, I had slightly prolonged pause followed by ugly sound of unfrozening.

Not sure should I just trust DSG park (although I always park on even grounds) in winter times..

I've had this a few time on the O2 when it dropped below -10, but not at the positively tropical winter temps we are still getting.

Its a sign of not enough grease on the cable and mechanism, usually caused by over exuberant jet washing of wheels :) and liberal use of wheel cleaner

I've had this a few time on the O2 when it dropped below -10, but not at the positively tropical winter temps we are still getting.

Its a sign of not enough grease on the cable and mechanism, usually caused by over exuberant jet washing of wheels :) and liberal use of wheel cleaner

****,**** :D I do use car wash and wash alloys a lot.

Can this cable part which shouldnt be washed be seen from below somewhere and how do I know if there is enough grease?

I cant just take it to the dealer because they are going to change me working hours.

Until I read this, can't say that I realised that my handbrake was on the wrong side! With my left arm on centre arm rest, my hand just falls naturally on to the handbrake, but I do have fairly long arms. Thing that annoys me more is the way that the arm rest keeps sliding backwards and forwards when you use it. It most usually slides forwards, which means that it is then touching the back of the handbrake, not usually a big deal but the handbrake cable stretched a bit until the handbrake was actually pressed hard against the arm rest. Did get the garage to tighten it again but there is actually a dent on the soft bit at the rear of the handbrake now. Seems a stupid idea to have a sliding armrest in the first place, not entirely sure what "benefit" that gives the driver!

As for electronic handbrakes, I have tried the one on the Volvo V60, it works well enough but was very alarming at first when trying to stop on a very steep hill, fumbling to engage the brake and then wondering how to drive away without rolling back into the car behind me. Hill start technology would have been great, wish I had that on my car! I can manage the V60 "handbrake" easily now but don't think that it is really any improvement on the traditional handbrake and for someone driving the V60 or similar for the first time, trying to use the "handbrake" could cause an accident very easily, just because it works so differently from what most people are used to. The old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!", seems rather appropriate here!

Interestingly enough the electronic handbrake is probably one of the thing's I'll miss most when the Kia goes and the Octy arrives, after the heated steering wheel of course.

I have a dodgy shoulder and find the nonchalant flick of the button much better than the pulling up of the handle.  I'm one of these that uses the handbrake when stopped rather than keeping the foot on the brake and blinding the guy behind.  However, I found that I utilise the electronic handbrake far more than I do a traditional one in other cars.  I love how you simply drive away to automatically deactivate it.  It can be used as a hill assist, which the Kia actually comes with but doesn't seem to activate unless you're pointing the bonnet at the moon.

Interestingly enough the electronic handbrake is probably one of the thing's I'll miss most when the Kia goes and the Octy arrives, after the heated steering wheel of course.

I have a dodgy shoulder and find the nonchalant flick of the button much better than the pulling up of the handle.  I'm one of these that uses the handbrake when stopped rather than keeping the foot on the brake and blinding the guy behind.  However, I found that I utilise the electronic handbrake far more than I do a traditional one in other cars.  I love how you simply drive away to automatically deactivate it.  It can be used as a hill assist, which the Kia actually comes with but doesn't seem to activate unless you're pointing the bonnet at the moon.

Me too.

My Avensis also has electric parking brake, under the dash behind the steering wheel so its sort of aim a finger and hope if you have your eyes on the car in front! My Passat had the same brake system and I think I may miss it on the Octy. What I may not miss is the reported costs of replacing the EPB actuator unit, around £500 a side in some cases, give me a greasy cable any day if that is what they cost to fix out of warranty.

My wife has recently bought a Skoda Rapid with start/stop which she likes (both Stop/Start and the car), I can see the starter getting knackered well before the warranty expires though. Anyway I was surprised to find that you had to keep your foot on the brake and you could not use the handbrake as the control of the stop/start. In heavy traffic keeping your foot pressed is a pain, so what is the handbrake for, only parking? It is also a pain to the guy behind having two bright brake lights in their face all the time her car is stationary.

Anyway I was surprised to find that you had to keep your foot on the brake and you could not use the handbrake as the control of the stop/start. In heavy traffic keeping your foot pressed is a pain, so what is the handbrake for, only parking? It is also a pain to the guy behind having two bright brake lights in their face all the time her car is stationary.

You must be a mind reader.  I was sat in traffic this morning (when it was dark) and the guy in front must have had his foot on the brake as his lights were burning my retinas.  I put the Kia in neutral and applied the EPB and the Start-stop kicked in.  That got me thinking - "my new Octy is DSG with start-stop and I remember on the test drive that as soon as I took my foot off the brake it started up again.  Does this mean start-stop and the handbrake are mutually exclusive?"

The answer, it would seem, would be yes.  That will be marginally annoying as I'm used to always using the handbrake when the vehicle behind me has stopped successfully as that's how we were trained when doing the advanced driving, if nothing else out of courtesy to the poor guy behind.

...if nothing else out of courtesy to the poor guy behind.

I wouldn't worry about him/her behind...they'll probably be on their phone anyway! :D They'll be waiting for your brake lights to go out so they know to pay attention again!

Edited by philwoodphoto

• 4 weeks later...

This frustrates me beyond belief. Having been a very happy owner of a 2010 Elegance which had a proper conversion I was frustrated beyond belief when I saw the cost cutting measures taken on the new model.

How much more does it cost these companies to do a proper conversion? My friends Mk IV Golf has the handbrake and bonnet release on the right side so what made them decide to change this yet not pass on the savings?

Edited by foregonereality
  • Like 1

I still haven't got quite used to the left hand hand brake, I sometimes seem to be putting my hand into the passenger's jacket pocket.

Perhaps I'll take up pickpocketing as a hobby.

Also, the cable seems a bit over adjusted still - it is often quite an effort to get the handbrake up onto the first "click".

Exuberant jet washing and liberal use of wheel cleaner combined with frosty winters are pretty much a given where I live, so I guess I'll end up using DSG park in a similar way I use park on the Geartronic now. (I only use the hand brake if I park on a gradient.)

• Like 1