9 minutes ago, match14 said:

Are these parts just for the hatch?

Yes - I have hatchback. 

I would suggest if you have an estate - to investigate facelift estates to see if they have changed them. 

Good luck. 

Ryan. 

2 hours ago, Bradp759 said:

I have a 2017 Superb hatch with this issue too.  Will the stoppers also fit this model?

I’m not too sure. What has it got fitted at the minute. 

If they match my previous pictures of the old buffers. 

ryan

Here are the pictures from my Superb hatch - what do you think?  I think they're pretty close apart from one of your pictures on the red Octy which looks different.  I'm hoping you'll say there are clear difference and will put me out of this booming misery.

hook 1.JPG

hook 2.JPG

52 minutes ago, Bradp759 said:

Here are the pictures from my Superb hatch - what do you think?  I think they're pretty close apart from one of your pictures on the red Octy which looks different.  I'm hoping you'll say there are clear difference and will put me out of this booming misery.

hook 1.JPG

hook 2.JPG

Yes they look the the same as the hatchback Octavia I took off. 

The red red car is th latest facelift Octavia with the different buffers which are spring loaded. 

Hi, 

Can anyone tell/confirm if this issue has been solved on the facelifted model (MY17)? I think I read elsewhere in this thread that Skoda has made some changes but can't find back the post. 

I've ordered an Octavia 1.5 petrol estate (as a company car) and I'm getting a bit worried reading these posts. A couple years back I had a Rapid as a replacement car, and the booming noise when driving over cobblestones was just unbearable. My previous company cars were a Superb MkIII estate and before that a Superb MkII estate and they were quite comfortable and quiet, and they didn't have the booming noise issue. That's why I preferred a Skoda again for my new company car, only the budget is lower and a Superb wasn't an option.

What really surprises me is that car reviewers don't refer to this issue, apart from the one sentence in a WhatCar review (but even then the reviewer just mentions it instead of indicating that the noise/resonance is just unbearable). I've watched/read a lot of reviews on the internet, and in general reviewers are very positive about the level of comfort and noise. Could it be that Skoda carefully selects/adjusts the cars they provide to car reviewers? 

Hopefully Skoda has implemented a solution in the facelifted model. If so, they should also acknowledge the issue and find a solution for all car owners impacted (but then we would live in an ideal world ;)). 

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Edited by RVH
typo

14 minutes ago, RVH said:

Hi, 

Can anyone tell/confirm if this issue has been solved on the facelifted model (MY17)? I think I read elsewhere in this thread that Skoda has made some changes but can't find back the post. 

If you go back the last few posts, the part numbers ending 49B / 50B are facelift 2017-> boot buffer wedges.

Some people have reported that these alleviate matters for the hatchback.

Not sure about the estate models. Can anyone report on what the buffer wedges look like pre and post facelift?

The problem does not affect all cars although all versions seem represented here.

Although there are 1360+ posts in this thread the number of individual owners/cars affected are a minority of octavia members. An individual may have posted many times about their issue and some responders don't even experience the problem but were just offering suggestions or help.

I would not worry about it until you get the car, you can always reject it if present and they cannot fix it.

• Like 1

We have tried 4 Octavias since 2010 and only one was acceptable from a booming perspective and that was a hatch and we preferred the looks of the estate. All the estates were dreadful, one to the point of being painful.

That is why we bought the Superb 3 hatch (like the looks of the hatch in that car). No booming, beautiful place to be. Just ordered a Fabia hatch for the wife, tried 2, no booming.

1 hour ago, WallMeerkat said:

Rybu79 you'd mentioned you'd also adjusted the latch, how do you go about that? Cheers

Remove the trim panel - cross head screw then lift the plastic cover off exposing the latch 45 torx and adjust. 

The latch has vertical and horizontal marks so you can see it’s position vs the fixing bolts. 

I made another post post about the latch - my latch was on the lean. 

try and see if any better. Took me about 30 minutes -

free advice - make sure your neighbours are out as the repeated slamming does not do much for neighbourly harmony!!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I probably mentioned before but my wife eventually passed from her cancer last October.

I got my Octavia last year and by adjusting the boot stops, managed to reduce the noise a bit.

I've kept the car until recently - I can still hear the boom at times but the thing that has sealed its fate has been the incredibly bumpy ride it gives me - my back aches after driving it. So I am finally trading it in for a Focus Titanium tomorrow. Worse mpg and less powerful but should be more comfortable. It's a real bummer as I love the layout, it looks great.. but the fundamental enjoyment of driving has been ruined by sore ears and back! If it weren't for these things it'd probably be the best car I've had. It retained its value ok so that's something, at least..

Edited by guitarman001

On 21/02/2018 at 09:55, stanian said:

Parts ordered, as said they come up as rapid Stoppers and wedges.

I feel it has made a difference fitting these new wedges, I waited a while to report back to allow the placebo effect to wear off. They dont reduce road noise but the low frequency and feeling of air pressure in the cabin has all but gone. I am happy. I also fitted the under bonnet insulation, when my bonnet closes, it now sounds like a golf, just like the doors :D

Wedge.jpg

Wedge2.jpg

Insulation.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Can I ask, where did you order the parts from?  I want to try them in my Superb as it has the same problem as the Octavia and Rapid and I believe this stoppers a re retro-fittable to all these models

Booming effect with opened rear windows on my car is horrendous up to a point your head explodes. Is it possible that these spacers make a difference?

5 hours ago, toni8b said:

Booming effect with opened rear windows on my car is horrendous up to a point your head explodes. Is it possible that these spacers make a difference?

Very unlikely.

The pulsating effect from an open window is quite common on modern cars with aerodynamics trying to reduce drag by maintaining laminar flow over/around/under the body.

The airflow past the open window is like blowing across the mouthpiece of a flute which sets up a pressure resonance inside. I hate it.

The Octavia is one of the worst for this effect and the best way I've found to minimise on my Octavia Wagon is to open another window diametrically opposite about an equal amount (eg front driver and rear opposite passenger window) which seems to work for me up to quite high speeds, but wind noise then becomes quite high then.

The pressure issue in this thread is mainly with regard to movement of the large rear hatch on rough surfaces which these spacers attempt to minimise.

The 'booming' seems to be different and very uncomfortable for some and seems related to tyres/suspension combined with the large areas of very thin but very high strength, high tensile steel, resonating like a drum, again worse on rough surfaces.

Tyre noise especially on rough surface is different again.

I think it has caused some cross-purpose communication in this thread. Some unfortunate souls could be suffering from one or more... or all.

My issue is that it sounds like the whole bootlid is vibrating at times, especially over rough surfaces.

Ordered the updated stoppers from OEMVWShop in Slovakia, but they made no difference whatsoever.

We can't open a window at speed or the buffeting sound is horrible, we rely on the ACC system.

• 6 months later...

I googled my issue and found this thread. I have a new model VRs Tdi estate and the booming noise is becoming annoying.

Fingers cross its tyre related. Its a lease car and the front tyres when replaced were changed to firestone roadhawks but I think the rear tyres are the issue.

Had a puncture and they replaced the rear with a Bridgestone Turanza T005 and the other rear is the original Bridgestone Potenza S001

Arrgghhh leasing companies. Surley the tyres are the issue.

My question is, I am going to get the S001 replaced. Should I get another T005 and move these to the front and have the evenly worn Roadhawks moved to the rear??