Mannyo - 2004 Audi A8 3.7 Quattro (D3) Updated pictures on page 3.

mannyo

Well good news, the car passed with no advisories at all, and the headlight washers are fixed as well. So all sorted for another 12 months.

• Like 2

it was a little warm yesterday and the dash temperature display reached the highest I've ever seen it, this was after driving it as well so the parked in the sun heat had been lost.

post-47-0-44052700-1406290696_thumb.jpg

And today the Audi has let me down, she is misfiring on Cylinder 4 with the engine light flashing on/off.

Car is booked into Poole Audi on Friday to carryout a missed TSB and getting any coils that need replacing changed. Just got to hope that the coils in the car are genuine and not copies, then I'll get a whole new set. They need the car cold and have advised against driving the 15 miles to them, so I'll be arranging recovery from home/work to them in Poole in time for Friday.

On the plus side the AC system has been regassed and its lovely and cold, if only you could drive the car properly.

Update from Poole Audi this morning, its fixed and running normally again after replacing all the coil packs. Cost to me £0 which is good to know, and the added benefit of having brand new coilpacks.

• Like 2

That car did look lovely at Blyton today.

Thanks, and here is a picture taken by Brimma as I was getting ready to leave.

I really like this car, yes it still has some niggly issues but it runs well. Just need to fix the headlight washers and a suspect rear wheel bearing, the bearings been whining for several K now but not getting worse so king of living with it.

400 miles covered in just a couple of days, and on less than 1 tank of fuel.

post-47-0-37740800-1407353176_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That car did look lovely at Blyton today.

I just realised, mine was one of two A8s at Blyton, not sure if you mistook mine for the white S8 badged TDi that was out on track during the afternoon.

I just realised, mine was one of two A8s at Blyton, not sure if you mistook mine for the white S8 badged TDi that was out on track during the afternoon.

Err, no! I liked the white one, too, but yours was the one that did it for me. :)  (Why would you put fake S8 badges on a TDi?)

• 4 weeks later...

This week has been a good week for the Audi.

I managed to source a new lower front centre grill to replace the one currently installed that was incorrect. My car has adaptive cruise control (ACC) so should have had a different grill which allows the radar to pass through unhindered. Anyway this week I swapped the grills, and after clearing the fault codes from the radar module. I ran the basic settings in VCDS and for the first time in a long while the adaptive cruise works. Press set and the car will maintain a set gap from the car in front and will speed up/slow down and apply the brakes if needed without intervention. Not bad for a car that is 11 years old, this is technology ahead of its time back then.

Prior to the replacement the Radar could not see through the grill, so recorded a misalignment fault and disabled cruise control, it did not work at all.

Picture below is of the car fitted with the replacement grill, you can see the square panel in the centre. Behind that panel is the radar emitter/receiver.

I've also reset the alignment of the sunroof, so it now opens and closes properly instead of sometimes getting stuck.

post-47-0-29004400-1409924039_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well done, glad it's sorted, didn't realise ACC had been fitted for so long.

Must have been a rare option back then, it took me nigh on 9 months to find a grill and this one cropped up via a PM on another forum. Quiet pleased as it did not cost me anything because its not in perfect condition, and the Audi RRP for a new one was astronomical.

• Like 1

Good job getting it fixed. It's nice when you get a job like this done. You can chill on the motorway a bit now!

My other half's uncle had an old Merc S500 from around the same era.

It too had radar guided cruise control.

The technology has been around for a long time but it's only just filtering through to "normal" cars now with it coming on VW Golfs and the Octavia.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

The exhaust started to blow again, luckily easily fixed by someone I know for zero, one of the replacement flexi joints was leaking from an exhaust clamp.

Car is going in to have the NSR wheel bearing replaced tomorrow, and another attempted fix on the headlight washer pipework.

Mileage is now 136K. so in the 12 months I've had it she has covered 7K miles.

Another update,

Wheel bearing has now been replaced, but this highlighted another problem.

The car has a buckled wheel, the OSF wheel is buckled on the inside edge of the rim. Outside is fine, but the inside is far from round. The wheel is going to a local wheel refurb place tomorrow to be straightened out, not going for a full refurb because it will look out of place on the car afterwards. For now I am running on the full size spare, which is another identical alloy with a very poor cosmetic condition but at least its round.

Looks like my promotion is about to (finally) happen. I really wanted a Jag XJ but they are still out of budget for now. As such I'm thinking of going down the older A8 route. I quite fancy a 4.2 but wondered why you went for the 3.7?

Would be a stop gap until I could afford the Jag. There's a few about that could be affordable almost instantly.

Looks like my promotion is about to (finally) happen. I really wanted a Jag XJ but they are still out of budget for now. As such I'm thinking of going down the older A8 route. I quite fancy a 4.2 but wondered why you went for the 3.7?

Would be a stop gap until I could afford the Jag. There's a few about that could be affordable almost instantly.

90s one? ;)

Yeah what's your budget?

If I could I would love a Jag XJR 4.0/4/2 litre supercharged.

Phil