My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

4 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

@stever750, what was the speed, at which the passive regen happened?

Fast! Around 80 ish. Several times on a DC on a long uphill stretch at least half a mile stretch. 6th gear steady speed so not accelerating and just me in the car so not laden. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry I don't know the answer to your very reasonable question but I do raise an eyebrow at the oil ash figure as you are well on the way to the maximum of 80 grams. Does the engine have a lot of miles on it? Does it drink much oil?

Not sure what the car will do when you get to 80g. Maybe just a warning light that the mot tester will pick up or it might go into some limp home mode.

Almost certainly the only fix will be a new DPF.

Watching with interest

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Generally they are in this day and age, and obviously there may be the odd one that is not.

The owners manuals from VW do recommend checking oil when Fueling.   Something that just a few decades back was common to see at filling stations, or at least when i was working on the pumps.

'Can i check your oil sir / madam'.   Would you like a couple of shots of Redex in your tank.

• Like 1

After losing sleep over it, I finally managed to think of one local where the pumps are on an incline :D

If anybody ever tries to check their oil after refueling while I'm behind them at the pump they will get the bonnet closed on their head

• Haha 2

I have no issue with someone checking oil quickly when at the pumps, or at the Air / Water / Windscreen wash facility.

But going in for a weeks shop in the Tesco Express leaving the car at the pumps does my nut in...

I do like little Independent filling stations where there is a more relaxed atmosphere and nobody is in that much of a hurry.

post-86161-0-52333800-1462130862.jpg

post-86161-0-51460700-1462130905.jpg

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 2

Checking the oil requires the car to have been stood for a good few minutes to allow the oil to return to the sump. Personally, I'd leave it at least 15 minutes, so after a fill up wouldn't allow enough time, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 06/01/2019 at 22:18, 9fingers said:

Sorry I don't know the answer to your very reasonable question but I do raise an eyebrow at the oil ash figure as you are well on the way to the maximum of 80 grams. Does the engine have a lot of miles on it? Does it drink much oil?

Not sure what the car will do when you get to 80g. Maybe just a warning light that the mot tester will pick up or it might go into some limp home mode.

Almost certainly the only fix will be a new DPF.

Watching with interest

Bob

The data says he has done 183k miles. I'm on 132k miles so will get this checked myself.

• 1 month later...

Great thread for diesel owners - gets a free bump from me. Difficult to know if they regen at 1100 rpm as some state, or whether the newer cars do it differently. DPF and EGR valves coupled with my short trip driving has convinced me to get a petrol engine. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will probably go for a petrol engine next time. I have moved into town from the country so my short runs are shorter than they used to be. The newer DPF regen processes are much cleverer than the earlier ones but I would not recommend diesels in my situation. I do try to use my bikes when ever possible which helps save the DPF a bit of grief from cold running.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Be aware, modern petrol engines are being equipped with particulate filters too, Gasoline Particulate Filters (GPF).

Petrol engines run hotter, get up to temperature faster and the GPF's operate differently from DPF's so are thought to be much more reliable.

They are still relatively new though, and as with all new technologies, especially emissions related ones they will potentially end up being problematic at some point...

https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/what-is-a-petrol-particulate-filter-and-how-does-it-work/n19953

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I finally had the DPF warning light  come on the other day and a noticeable loss of power after 155k miles. I took the car for a blast round some country roads and it went out again after a couple of miles of high rev driving. Stuck in some Forte DPF cleaner at the next fill up and all seems well again. 

I think my issue was interrupting the regen a couple of times. I’ll try and avoid doing that from now on. 

I experienced the horrible smell in the cabin while driving on the freeway in my 2.0 TDI 150 2019. 
6.000km roughly on the odometer. 
this is the only time I’ve smelt it. 

I was afraid the car was on fire. Seriously. It was a very harsh smell. 

Can it really be that my first active Regen was at 6.000km?

Edited by Octy111

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to the forum. Bought my first Skoda in January, a diesel Octavia 2.0 CR SEL DSG estate. Its a 19 plate and had 6500 miles on it. I have a long drive in to work (45 miles), which is pretty much all motorway etc. Start/stop was working OK  this morning, until I came off the motorway near where I work. Start/stop did not function, and when I parked up and got out of the car, there was an awful burning type smell. Went back to car a bit later and switched engine on, but have not driven it. Display said that start/stop was available and all looks OK, except for a message saying "passenger compartment not at comfortable temperature". Any ideas?

Thanks for that. Having only had the car for about 6 weeks, and driven about 1500 miles, it was a worrying thing to smell! Still not driven the car since Tuesday morning, as been using a work pool car, but will be driving it home tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm a taxi driver and during lockdown work dried up drastically. We were waiting at least 1.5 hours between hires. So the car was doing short runs with the engine never reaching full temperature. DPF regens became a bit of a nightmare as the car strugged to get over 35 mph at times during a passive regen. I had to start doing unnecessary motorway runs and chucking in DPF cleaner but all seems well again.

I'm now getting passive regens every 100/150 miles but they don't last too long and always successfully complete so I'm quite positive that at 165k miles the DPF is reasonably clean still.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody with CUPA engine can post a picture from VCDS or OBDeleven with soot mass measured and soot mass calculated fields selected ?

I see that my regens are triggered by soot mass measured rather than calculated and want to figure out if there s anything wrong with the engine.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow what a response!! Thanks Jake (greenstripe) & everyone,very informative. Hadn't  even thought of regeneration. So I guess being a newer model this process is automatic if needed. So as this process is automated, I guess I do not need to buy DPF additives to add now & again? Also, yes the fan was going for a while. Thought the car was about to blow with the smell.

Thanks again.