My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

On 10/23/2017 at 14:00, Jen1 said:

Phew! Glad I found this thread!!

Dare I say it, I am the "type" of female that gets in a car and drives..the end! But, I finally bought a car worth more than £1000.00 and am trying hard to understand and look after it..you know, "emotionally connect" ;)

Anyway - could not for the life of me figure out why my 13 plate Octavia with only 20k on the clock was starting to have the fan scream at me at least once a week when I average 250 miles per week.......I am assuming it is due to Regen. However, is it common for this to occur as frequently as it currently seems? I drive a crappy trunk route 30 miles each way 4 days a week (less if I can help it)

On a side note, I have also started receiving the Start/Stop error - so typically thought my car had had enough of me with error messages and what I assumed was overheating!!

Has your octavia had the VW emissions software update applied?   Already done before you bought it perhaps?

Worth checking incase it has. 

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/check-your-vehicle

Frequent regens and start stop error are signs of the Emissions software fix causing problems.

If it hasnt been done, the general advice is not to get it done.

• 2 months later...

Just want to share my conclusions, monitoring the DPF regen process using application. In general :

1. DPF regens starts when the progress bar reaches 100%, which in my case is 24 grams of soot mass.

2. After 24 grams are collected the ECU schedules the regen (red icon on the right side of the DPF filter).

3. Once regen is scheduled, ECU starts heating up the filter to 500+ degrees. Icon of the filter becomes red.

4. Once temperature is reached, process of soot burning starts. Revs per minutes play smaller role than engine being loaded w/ consumers, uphill climbing, etc. On the right top one can see the values of mass decreasing around -500mg/min to -1300mg.

5. New info for me was that even on idle the soot mass decreases. Slower but decreases.

6. Usual regen in my case lasts around 30 mins and around 15 kilometers.

7. I'm careful and for 25k km the oil ash level is calculated to 6% usage. This is permanent level of filter being used.

p.s. values are calculated as the ECU does not have methodology to know exact values.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Screenshot_20180110-201617.png

Screenshot_20180110-201639.png

Screenshot_20180110-202023.png

Screenshot_20180110-202254.png

Screenshot_20180110-202928.png

Screenshot_20180110-202958.png

Screenshot_20180110-203330.png

Screenshot_20180110-204158.png

Screenshot_20180110-204402.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Paul007 said:

Does nobody read the car's manual anymore ?  It explains all.

So you read the manual - wimp!   :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I use my 2015 as a taxi and the DPF regens (with the high revs and burning smell plus loud fan noise) at least 5 times every 1000 miles and has done for the year I have owned the car.

Having had a 2005 mk1 for 415k until this car the way of clearing the emissions at the taxi inspection was to drive 5 miles down the motorway in 3rd gear at the highest speed possible blowing soot out of the exhaust after putting in a fuel additive.

I prefer the new way better. 

• 3 months later...
On 21/03/2018 at 19:14, gm73 said:

the way of clearing the emissions at the taxi inspection was to drive 5 miles down the motorway in 3rd gear at the highest speed possible blowing soot out of the exhaust after putting in a fuel additive.

Ah, the good old Italian tune-up :biggrin:

Does anyone know if hot weather affects DPF regeneration frequency. It’s been usually hot here in Glasgow for the past few days, high 20s even 31 degrees at one point!! The car has done three regenerations in the past 24 hours when it normally does one every 36 hours or so???

1 hour ago, gm73 said:

Does anyone know if hot weather affects DPF regeneration frequency. It’s been usually hot here in Glasgow for the past few days, high 20s even 31 degrees at one point!! The car has done three regenerations in the past 24 hours when it normally does one every 36 hours or so???

I can't imagine that a few extra degrees of ambient temperature compare to exhaust operating temperature should make any difference.

Your observations could well be explained by your recent driving pattern. perhaps you have switched off the engine before the regeneration has completed and so the ECU starts a new one next time you next drive the car and so on.

I can't remember quite how I did it but deep in a menu somewhere you can display how coked up the DPF is but this could be only once a warning has been displayed.

Bob

gm73,  what age and miles is your car?

Regardless of what one might imagine the proof of the pudding is in the eating or as it is driving.

Ambient air temperature of 31*oC as here is not the Ground Grass temp which is in the 40*o Degrees with tar melting and the under bonnet temps above the 40's when parked in the scorchio sunshine. You know it is hot when the tar is melting.

http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations 

Edited by Offski

On 28/06/2018 at 13:46, Offski said:

gm73,  what age and miles is your car?

Regardless of what one might imagine the proof of the pudding is in the eating or as it is driving.

Ambient air temperature of 31*oC as here is not the Ground Grass temp which is in the 40*o Degrees with tar melting and the under bonnet temps above the 40's when parked in the scorchio sunshine. You know it is hot when the tar is melting.

http://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations 

It’s a 2015 1.6 CR TDi with 91,000 miles.

Seems to have returned to normal although I’ve been experiencing higher revs at idle when running the air con which is similar to a regen.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened twice the following strange situation.

Long trip, regen starts (felt it and started looking at the start/stop on the Info status).

After another 200km, the start stop never enabled till I reach the city. Where it stops on the first lights.

Checking the DPF filter regen finished long ago and looks like start/stop status disabled was stuck or ... 

Anyone experienced it?

• 5 weeks later...

At risk of throwing a spanner in the works.....

2018 VRS diesel and just over 4300 miles. Today when i stopped the fan was running and there was dinstinctive smell of burning rubber or similar. And now the rub....

Car had just done 170 mile drive back from Cambridge - surely dpf cleaned out etc after that?:o

1 hour ago, gman1967 said:

Car had just done 170 mile drive back from Cambridge - surely dpf cleaned out etc after that?:o

Forget this myth of passive regeneration, it simply does not happen under real driving conditions so no amount of long runs will clear the DPF out magically, only the blood of a unicorn can do this . It will actively regenerate when necessary regardless of where you have been, what you have been doing or what colour underpants you are wearing.

Hope this helps ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now question as I'm new to DPF's. A couple of times when I've switched off my 67 plate vRS the fan stays on and it smells very hot so I'm guessing it's a regen. How long will the fans stay on for?

36 minutes ago, Alan7690 said:

Now question as I'm new to DPF's. A couple of times when I've switched off my 67 plate vRS the fan stays on and it smells very hot so I'm guessing it's a regen. How long will the fans stay on for?

Welcome to the mysterious world of DPF regen.

I was concerned like you to start with but I've just got used to it now. Fans possibly stay on for a few minutes. Basically whilst you were driving, the car decided to do a regen. This involves increasing the exhaust temperature so that crap in the DPF is burnt off. No indication to the driven is given but you might notice your short term MPG drops off. Or put another way if your short term MPG is lower than normal then it is possibly doing a regen.  If you stop the engine before the regen is complete then the fans come on to circulate more air around the exhaust area under the bonnet to get rid of the extra heat. Next time you drive the car it will try and do another regen. In the event that you do a number of short journeys such that it cannot complete a regen, then it will put on a warning light and instead of sensibly letting you select some sort of manual regen process, you need to take it on a journey driving it steadily in a lower gear/higher revs than normal for a few miles. This is easiest done on a stretch of motorway. I can't remember if the light goes out by itself or at the next start but it is nothing to worry about. I has only happened to me once in 2 years. I think somewhere deep in a menu, I did find a display that said DPF was x % full of crap but I cant recall where this was - sorry.

All this info has come from either reading this forum or observation/supposition on my part. Sadly the manual tells you very little about this (and most other things about HOW the car does things!)

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I drive a Volvo V50 from 2008, it has additive added to the fuel in order to burn the spot in the dpf. Under Normal driving conditions it regenerates once every 550-600miles. That's 900-100km. Sounds like these Skoda's regenerate more often. Fuel consumption goes up as well, when regenerating often...

Advancement through Technology.

Euro 5  emission standards & introduce a Defeat Device and get caught.

the Euro 6 and get away with the old test regimes.

Euro 6 d Temp and struggle to get WLTP Type Approval and acceptable RDE figures.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just checked mine with VCDS after a remap has appeared to have increased regen frequency. It shouldn't be doing it every few hundred miles on a new car! According to VCDS last regen recorded was at just over 20k miles, it's now on 39k. That's not right either, you'd expect it to do it every 2-3k unless you only ever drive around town in 4th gear and never get the oil temp above 60 degrees C 

I'm concerned that the regen counter isn't functioning properly, which is OK in that after being remapped I won't leave the oil change for such large intervals. 

On 10/08/2018 at 22:20, SuperbTWM said:

Forget this myth of passive regeneration, it simply does not happen under real driving conditions so no amount of long runs will clear the DPF out magically, only the blood of a unicorn can do this . It will actively regenerate when necessary regardless of where you have been, what you have been doing or what colour underpants you are wearing.

Hope this helps ;)

Totally agree. I've been using the VAGDPF app now for the last 1000 miles or so, and the input temps never get much above 400°C even if you cane it through the gears uphill. Once it regens the temp is nearer 600°C. 

Edited by stever750
  • Like 1

Hello to all. I picked up my first Skoda this week after 3 Citroen C5 estates in a row. On day one I had the fan running/burning smell issue, initial panic was relaxed when the forum here advised its quite normal. On day two I had the random speedo/rev counter illumination brightness issue, again I'm more relaxed as I read I'm not alone, it appears the car could even be designed this way. Any more eventualities and this site is the first place I'll check. A big thank you to all for providing answers before I have the questions.

The speedo/tacho scale illumination variation is a reminder to put your lights on. The needles stay constant brightness and the scale brightness is a function of ambient light. Wave your hand over the windscreen sensor to see it work.

Bob

I think thete are two key pieces of data to monitor from the app; the regen frequency as this will contaminate your oil, and the rate at which oil Ash is being accumulated. I've started to track mine after a remap and the rate on increase has changed. Its back to standard again now to see what the baseline soot and Ash generation is. So, for my car; 17.2g / 22% after 65k km means a projected lifespan of 300k assuming a linear fill rate. Alternatively, it's filled at a rate of 0.264mg ash/km. Be interesting to see other calcs especially those with tuning boxes (mine was) and remaps. 

Edited by stever750

Update after 500 or so mile journey today, been running car as standard. I've seen the passive regen! It does exist. So, 6th gear, half throttle up a steep A road incline at around 70 raises the DPF input temp to around 400°C which sends the filter icon red and the soot output to a negative number, so ecu assumes that its burning soot off. This never happens with remap on, wonder if same or not with tuning box.... 

I've therefore seen the rate at which the soot accumulates is about the same at a cruising 80 on the motorway, but lower around town, small throttle openings, and of course uphill under load. 

• Like 1