New Golf R

alex_e3

Well a Golf platformed, FWD, tweaked EA888 engined hearse version has done The Ring in less than 8 minutes........

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/seat-leon-cupra-st-nurburgring-estate-record-video-2015-05-13  

Oddly better time than the previous hearse Audi RS4

• Like 1

Well a Golf platformed, FWD, tweaked EA888 engined hearse version has done The Ring in less than 8 minutes........

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/seat-leon-cupra-st-nurburgring-estate-record-video-2015-05-13  

Just read that............Holy F!!!!......beats the Audi!....... :o

I like the fact they state:-

""ST’s improved aerodynamics as well as its greater handling balance over the SC, as he told Top Gear.

“In high speed corners the ST rear axle is more progressive, and the top speed is higher with the better drag coefficient. What we lose exiting some corners we get it back in high-speed turns and on the straights.

“With the longer body here we can play with the rear end, to help position the car. It is a very nice racing feeling when you disconnect the ESC.”"

In my limited "lower" speed handling I have found the estate to handle better than the hatch & suspected the slight increase of rear weight to improve the nose heavy balance & the extra tail aero helps with stability........ ;)...gone are the days when an estate is " a beached whale"

Just to add, that ring time is faster than the BMW 135I time of 8mins 18secs, or 8mins 5sec, depending on which one you accept............... :D .

Roll on the test with the Golf R estate which has 4wd & more power.................it'll upset a few people & that's in the dry!!.............. :giggle:..............

I think I'll drop my mate who has an M135I a link to that video............. :devil:

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

Eventually everyone's ship comes in, we see the same names often enough, connect the dots. Yep life is too short, you get the idea or don't.

Surely it can't be any more clear than that as there's only so much rope on the noose before it goes tight!

To the Mods:- We must have a thread for Golf "R" on this forum

You have and it will stay. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Bet it's slower round ring than the ST.

What makes the R/S3 very good is it gives hugely capable cars out the box. Without mods and tinkering.

Enthusiasts and track lovers it won't suit but to many they offer good compromise of speed and safety in a decent package

Unfortunately I keep getting an error message to that video :(

Unfortunately I keep getting an error message to that video :(

Don't think my newly acquired Dacia Logan hearse, aka Maximum Capacity Vehicle, will be fight for the title with its 900 cc engine, but it I find it surprisingly nippy, feels like 0-60 in about 10s and 110 is looking possible, say 18 minutes around The Ring on it 185/65 tyres.

Must order the Clio RS 220 or Megane RS which is the one I expect will take back the FWD crown off the Civic Type R when released.  

Personally I think ring times should be also done in the wet, then take the fastest dry time & the fastest wet time & then add together & divide by 2 to give the average "all-round" time..............

gives you a more "real world" as the fastest dry times can be done by RWD & the fastest wet are done by 4WD so it levels the field a bit. I bet the sales of the ST will go up now with that time..............

So a Seat estate is faster than a way more expensive & more "kudos" BMW "M"...........really can't wait for the R test............but it just shows how good that MQB rear multi-link is which is why it was on my "must have" ............

• Like 1

Personally I think ring times should be also done in the wet, then take the fastest dry time & the fastest wet time & then add together & divide by 2 to give the average "all-round" time..............

gives you a more "real world" as the fastest dry times can be done by RWD & the fastest wet are done by 4WD so it levels the field a bit. I bet the sales of the ST will go up now with that time..............

So a Seat estate is faster than a way more expensive & more "kudos" BMW "M"...........really can't wait for the R test............but it just shows how good that MQB rear multi-link is which is why it was on my "must have" ............

Available on DTD for £25202 in manual but including the Sub8 Performance Pack and metallic grey paint, plus 3 years IFC with 50% deposit

Best DTD price on the Golf R estate with metallic grey paint and no other extras is £30696

If you want to go that way you also need a mildly damp and snow lap too. :D

And a 70mph limit with some temporary speed restrictions.

The point is what a car can do, it's best.

It's not meant to show what the car can do in real life which is rather removed from one way no speed limit runs anyway.

• Like 1

Available on DTD for £25202 in manual but including the Sub8 Performance Pack and metallic grey paint, plus 3 years IFC with 50% deposit

Best DTD price on the Golf R estate with metallic grey paint and no other extras is £30696

Not sure there will be great lease/pcp deals just yet. Got one priced yesterday, estate in blue, standard spec. 60% more per month over the hatchback which is on a great deal at the moment Same money as an A5 3.0 S line convertible with leather which is currently available for immediate delivery, No brainier really if I was to choose from the two.

• Administrators
  • It is relevant to the MK3 Octavia (shares some of the same tech).
  • One of the most talked about cars at the moment.
  • This forum would look stupid if it can't have a car thread on it because it raises "controversial" posts from certain people
  • It's a VW & Skoda would not be where it is today without VW,.. & VW would not have had more money without the success of the Golf, So "Respect Due" I think!

I agree on all points, don't think anyone on the mod team has disagreed in general. I hardly use a climbing forum; I'm a climber, because all the talk is climbing, it's a bit dull to be monotonous on one subject. IT's why I like the open free roaming nature of this community, Skoda at core, everyone else welcome. Threads are locked for a host of reasons, constant derailment adds to that and if by the same protagonists, notes made, resulting in actions. The how and when of those are not up for questioning here though, that would derail the thread ;)

I encourage multi model/brand discussions. I've been tentatively enquiring to press offices of other brands to bring more cross brand talk in.  If it helps settle your mind, the other brands contribute more each month to the site than skoda in ad revenue alone, so erm, yeah I'm not getting rid of popular threads on other models ;)

• Like 3

OUCH that's a lot of difference!.............Ok it's 4wd vs 2wd & I do admit the Seat interior I find too Spartan/bleak...............however that price spec could affect MK3 Octi, but long term I don't know as VAG is losing money on all Seat cars so they could offload Seat as they need the money after the failed takeover/merger with Fiat/Chrysler earlier..........

If you want to go that way you also need a mildly damp and snow lap too. :D

And a 70mph limit with some temporary speed restrictions.

The point is what a car can do, it's best.

It's not meant to show what the car can do in real life which is rather removed from one way no speed limit runs anyway.

Agree,......Euro test style when for all Ring times?, like the NCAP & fuel economy tests?..........sorry, scrap like the fuel ones as those are about as relevant to reality as is a ring time.............. :D .in that case the standard dry ring time is as valid then, point taken!........... :nerd:

New Evo mag out (June 2015) & of note is the new Audi Sport TTCup racer which is FWD only & has the 4cy 2lt engine from the TTS road car (not the 2.5lt) with 306bhp plus 29bhp additional push to pass, & the same front end drivetrain & front part haldex unit from the Golf R. also has the TTS S-tronic DSG with altered ratios, & the suspension is the same, bar racing spring/dampers & uniball joints (which I bet are the rear ones on the front wishbone).

This MQB package with multilink suspension, 2lt engine etc is a very good design from VAG, at last they have hard facts to prove it now from 3rd parties.............

Re exhaust noise I notice the Seat estate ST Cupra has one oval each side which I like, unlike the R estate........... :wall: .........

Also the twin outlets each side on the R, only the inner one is open all the time with the outer one opening under full load/race etc & controlled by flaps. This leave the inner one getting dirty more that the outter one. Now with the latest full release of VCDS you can disable those flaps to back both open ALL the time!!.......... :sun:

Linky to MK7 golf forum thread & post

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=126464&postcount=15

Posted by "TheSwede"

This is the latest news regarding Golf R flapper mod.

I have done it today with a VCDS tweak (VCDS 14.10.2) according to below.
Before doing it set the car in mode “Race” and physical check if the flappers are open. Easy done with a flashlight in outer pipes. Then deactivate it according to coding below.

1 – Engine module

Exhaust Flaps deactivate
Byte 9
Bit 2 - Exhaust Flaps installed check box default activated – deactivate it and save as usual

:devil: 

Edited by fabdavrav
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Translation -1 Golf R ,2 BMWM135i and 3 Audi S3.

Just point and go.

Crackles ,pops and burbles not part of this particular test.

Edited by vrskeith

Translation -1 Golf R ,2 BMWM135i and 3 Audi S3.

Just point and go.

Crackles ,pops and burbles, & uniqueness of straight six engine mated with RWD not part of this particular test.

I could have told you that ages ago.................. :D

Also fixed your post............ :no: ....

Also of note is that generally speaking the Pope is Catholic, bears do poo in the woods....................... :x

Appears to be a lease deal on the Golf R estate right now

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vw-golf-r-mk7-estate-dsg-personal-lease-deal-7168-13-freedom-contracts-1915-16-deposit-2205860

I can't profess to be knowledgeable about this so I'm not sure if it's a wonderful deal or not. Mate tells me it's not bad.

Appears to be a lease deal on the Golf R estate right now

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/vw-golf-r-mk7-estate-dsg-personal-lease-deal-7168-13-freedom-contracts-1915-16-deposit-2205860

I can't profess to be knowledgeable about this so I'm not sure if it's a wonderful deal or not. Mate tells me it's not bad.

9 posts up ^^^^^
  • Like 1