Superskoda hood power damper

3 hours ago, Ads230 said:

Yet to fully remove the old prop - but 'til then I'll explain that it's a continuity measure... despite the fact it's not possible to use it

It will be possible to use it if the struts fail.  I've recently fitted a pair of struts after recommendations from a post from another member.  They were only £8.29 delivered from ebay.  I was very dubious about the quality but thought it's worth a punt for that money.  Have to say they're really good and work great.  I've also left my prop in place just in case :speechless:   I can't help but notice that every photo I've seen posted showing the struts fitted no-one has notched out the foam spacer/padding on either side of the engine bay.  I know this is foam but it's fairly dense foam and I can't help but think that the struts will only compress it so much then put added pressure on the struts possibly causing them to distort over time.  Maybe I'm wrong but I've cut out a notch in each of mine just to be sure and I've also noticed that there's a difference in how the bonnet closes with and without the notch cut out.  For the effort it took I thought it worthwhile doing and nothing to lose by doing it.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 25/02/2018 at 11:17, ahenners said:

No I went for Febi Bilstein ones. The Superskoda set came in about 50 euros including delivery and I read that they aren't quite as good. Would have taken longer to come too.

The Febi struts are perfect in strength, they can lift the bonnet unsupported after initially lifting it. They slow before they come to a stop at maximum extension too.

2x Febi Bilstein 27709 struts. About £14 each from an eBay motorparts seller.

2x M8 ball joints with a 10mm ball head and 25mm thread length: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x4-ball-extension

2x M6 ball joints with a 10mm ball head and 12mm thread length: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x2-ball-extension

Above ball joints came to a tenner with delivery.

2x M8 and 2x M6 washers. Bought from an eBay seller for a couple of quid.

You also need an M10 spline bit to undo the bolt on the bonnet which I didn't already have. 

Painted the washers and ball joint bolts with a touch up kit I already had to make them blend in and look more OEM.

Total cost probably about £42 but happy with the result.

@magicpants - All the info you need was kindly supplied by this gent. M8 & M6 washers are standard sizes.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, miskaste said:

Hi,

I’m wondering if this will fit on octavia scout 2018 model? 

Don t see why not, can't imagine things have changed drastically on the Facelift

• 4 months later...

Just ordered the parts for my FL 245 Estate based on ahenners excellent guide on page 3 (thank you!).  I've bought the struts off Opie Oils using (a different) forum discount, and the SGS ball joint thingies.   I've had a "test" undo of the parts under the bonnet first.  That's next weekends projects sorted, I've got some wire on order to hard wire my dash cam as well.  Best go and clear the garage ready now.......🙂

• Like 2

Job done.  It just looks and feels so much better.  Why on earth didn't they do this as standard........😕

struts.jpg

Edited by Phil245
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I can only agree with the other posts, an easy and quick modification but makes a real difference when its fitted.

I bought mine from ebay for £15 (had a £5 off voucher to use) and for that price I was dubious about the quality but it seems very robust.

• 5 weeks later...

I have just done this mod on my MY19 Octavia.

Parts I used:

- 2 x M8 ball joint (thread length 14-15 mm): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32925255326.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dqkYWSU

- 2 x M6 ball joint (thread length 14-15 mm): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975903867.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dqkYWSU

- 2 x smaller diameter washer

- 2 x larger diameter washer

- 2 x cheapest aftermarket Ibiza II boot dampers (Loro 101-00-070)

To remove the hood screw I used a 5/16" hex key. It fits absolutely perfectly, even the factory paint on the screw head remained intact. It's wasn't too tight.

The cheepo dampers are working fine without any unusual noise. Let's see how long will they last. :giggle:

As you can see the original fender (hex) screw is quite short, the ball joint thread is longer but it still fits.

In action:

Some pictures:

IMG-3560.jpg

IMG-3561.jpg

IMG-3609.jpg

IMG-3613.jpg

IMG-3616.jpg

IMG-3617.jpg

IMG-3618.jpg

IMG-3619.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi good people,

i want to get this done too, but was thinking to get stainless steel ball joints.

The ones I found are 12mm in length, would that be adequate?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x11-stainless-ball-extension?gclid=CjwKCAjw7e_0BRB7EiwAlH-goDvwZWw-LZv4m2nqZogpYSnwWjYyT5_t6zyYu5j6xfo_1QV8M_zsyhoCPQQQAvD_BwE

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x10-stainless-ball-extension

thanks

makkmartono

If I was you (!) I would follow the parts list on page 3 from ahenners.

I did, and it all fitted perfectly, job done in a matter of minutes.....😉

• Like 1

• 3 months later...