Superskoda hood power damper

The Febi Bilstein 27709 gas struts seem to be out of stock at the moment. I have contacted a few Ebay sellers who show them in stock, but they have said they are having a problem with supply from Febi and don't have any. Possibly not untill May!!

Edited by AndrewE

• 1 month later...

How easily does the bonnet close & latch with the struts fitted? I can imagine that without a "gravity-assisted" fall to shut it, you might need to apply some pressure from above to latch the bonnet closed once its 99.9% shut? I'd hate for the end of the bonnet to get a small dent about the same size as the heel of a mechanic's hand...

8 minutes ago, petecollier said:

How easily does the bonnet close & latch with the struts fitted? I can imagine that without a "gravity-assisted" fall to shut it, you might need to apply some pressure from above to latch the bonnet closed once its 99.9% shut? I'd hate for the end of the bonnet to get a small dent about the same size as the heel of a mechanic's hand...

No pressure required it closes as normal.

20180525_163612.mp4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petecollier said:

None at all, its a really nice positive close towards the end, if anything it could do with a touch more damping.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 21:16, BATVANVRS said:

Big shout out too @ahenners for your assistance & explaining what bits n bobs are needed to do this mod B) :thumbup: & everyone else who has participated in this thread :thumbup:

Everything ahenners listed above is exactly what I got from the links.

Fitted the bonnet dampers today with a friend of mine, basically he actually did most of the work as he likes to do things (hands on type of guy) takes charge etc :biggrin: B) 

Painted the bolts black & the washers race blue & fitted the bonnet dampers, all in all took a good hour from fitting & including spraying the bolts n washers etc. 

The bonnet feels so much more solid on opening & closing, this is one of those mods that once done makes you think “why didn’t I do this sooner” anyways enough of the chat & a few more pictures.

01A16549-2B8B-4B42-8F66-80B39A3E93B0.jpeg

71BA2619-E985-40F7-B62D-BED031AB97D4.jpeg

2DAB0324-C36D-40AD-9724-001D76E38784.jpeg

5C8850BB-C94E-4E97-9A61-90F66567182E.jpeg

Hi perfectly done! Can you please post list of all parts you use in this modification? Power bumpers, screws, washers, ... everything you use. Manufacturer, dimensions and if you have part numbers would be great. Thanx in advance! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, varicak said:

Hi perfectly done! Can you please post list of all parts you use in this modification? Power bumpers, screws, washers, ... everything you use. Manufacturer, dimensions and if you have part numbers would be great. Thanx in advance! 

I did exactly this a few pages back. Just read back through the posts!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, varicak said:

Thank you for this, I found it. Can you please explain: "Above ball joints came to a tenner with delivery" what is tenner?

£10:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 17/03/2018 at 12:22, BATVANVRS said:

Cheers ahenners :thumbup: I've just sent an email to "parts@briskoda.net"

I'd like to order a under bonnet cover also but I can't see email address on my iPhone. Would you mind messaging me please.

17 minutes ago, JimmyUK said:

I'd like to order a under bonnet cover also but I can't see email address on my iPhone. Would you mind messaging me please.

It shows in the post you quoted.

It's parts at Briskoda dot net

• Thanks 1

On 24/10/2016 at 18:01, Warrior193 said:

I had to order 1 each from two suppliers due to low stock

On 02/11/2016 at 15:09, Warrior193 said:

Success at last, the second strut finally arrived from Germany this morning - mounted straight onto the ball pins with a little lithium grease and job's a goodun.

Do I understand you correctly that you mounted just one set (the strut and ball-mounts/pins) at the time and then a second one?

If so, how the single set managed with the hood? Wasn't it to weak?

I'm seriously thinking myself about this mod in O3 :) So far I had power-dampered hood in my O2FL. However I did it this way - just one strut / power-damper of about 300N. It did the job admirable all the time. So I wonder whether a single set (the strut and ball-mounts/pins) wouldn't be quite enough in O3 too.

Pozdrawiam, / Best regards,

Maciej

Edited by Gawronik

here you go.

5 hours ago, Jason11 said:

Think this will be my next purchase. 

Can someone confirm what the general cost is from buying separate at what is needed? 

Seems to be a few options..

Should have bought the superskoda kit when they had 20% off rrrrrrr.

On 25/02/2018 at 19:17, ahenners said:

No I went for Febi Bilstein ones. The Superskoda set came in about 50 euros including delivery and I read that they aren't quite as good. Would have taken longer to come too.

The Febi struts are perfect in strength, they can lift the bonnet unsupported after initially lifting it. They slow before they come to a stop at maximum extension too.

2x Febi Bilstein 27709 struts. About £14 each from an eBay motorparts seller.

2x M8 ball joints with a 10mm ball head and 25mm thread length: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x4-ball-extension

2x M6 ball joints with a 10mm ball head and 12mm thread length: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/x2-ball-extension

Above ball joints came to a tenner with delivery.

2x M8 and 2x M6 washers. Bought from an eBay seller for a couple of quid.

You also need an M10 spline bit to undo the bolt on the bonnet which I didn't already have. 

Painted the washers and ball joint bolts with a touch up kit I already had to make them blend in and look more OEM.

Total cost probably about £42 but happy with the result.

On 23/09/2018 at 17:56, Gawronik said:

Do I understand you correctly that you mounted just one set (the strut and ball-mounts/pins) at the time and then a second one?

If so, how the single set managed with the hood? Wasn't it to weak?

I'm seriously thinking myself about this mod in O3 :) So far I had power-dampered hood in my O2FL. However I did it this way - just one strut / power-damper of about 300N. It did the job admirable all the time. So I wonder whether a single set (the strut and ball-mounts/pins) wouldn't be quite enough in O3 too.

Pozdrawiam, / Best regards,

Maciej

Hi, apologies for the delay in answering but I have been camping in the Lake District.

- No I waited until I had both struts delivered as I was worried about twisting the hood if left supported on only one gas strut.

• 4 weeks later...

Fitter mine today. Was surprised the recommended M8 bolts were so much longer than the factory bolt? Maybe mines different as it's mk3 face lift?

This worked to my advantage in the end as I had to add 3 washers to get clearance of bonnet bracket.

9727B869-0279-421D-92F6-24D1A4DCD006.jpeg

8FEDCAAA-1828-4D5A-B7BE-73A71FF3F94F.jpeg

FYI paint your bolts and washers before you fit. Doh :@

Edited by JimmyUK
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party, but massive shout out to the forum (and @ahenners in particular for collating info) for bringing this to my attention.

Opens like a dream, and feels a little better quality. Yet to fully remove the old prop - but 'til then I'll explain that it's a continuity measure... despite the fact it's not possible to use it. SHH!

Obvious point, but appreciate the advice to paint the parts as this does make the black / white (and yellow) motif work very nicely :cool:

SkodaPowerDampers.jpg

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

Late to the party, but massive shout out to the forum (and @ahenners in particular for collating info) for bringing this to my attention.

Opens like a dream, and feels a little better quality. Yet to fully remove the old prop - but 'til then I'll explain that it's a continuity measure... despite the fact it's not possible to use it. SHH!

Obvious point, but appreciate the advice to paint the parts as this does make the black / white (and yellow) motif work very nicely :cool:

SkodaPowerDampers.jpg

Looks great :)

• Thanks 1