Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

24 minutes ago, ajw1100 said:

Nice job Biggy 7.

You should be able to run the cable down the front of the A pillar straight through to the underside of the dashboard, therefore it will not show as in your photo. On my 2015 Elegance I could poke right through as below and fish it out underneath then connect to the power.

Grab a torch and shine it down from the dash side and look underneath, you should see the where the light is coming from, I taped a thin tie wrap to the connector to make a rat tail and aimed the tie wrap/cable connector in that direction and then poked it through. No restriction on the bottom of the A pillar/dash and no give away cable to see.

Thanks mate. Didn't realise you could do this. Will check it out. 

Thing is I'm using the hardwire cable which has a block on it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boblov-Original-Hardwire-Adapter-Dashcam/dp/B01J3CTSV2

so I'd have to feed up from under dash to top the dash, 

Is there enough space to feed a micro USB in the gap?

the pic above was another brisky member, I've managed to push the cable in the gap so you can see it but for the same of OCD il give you idea a try when the weather gets better 

thanks 

My converter had a female USB connector and my lead a male USB and Micro connector. Okay, try the rat tail idea but you'll need something longer than a tie wrap, poke it down from the top and pull it through to the area as in the pic. Tape the camera Micro connector to the tail and pull it back and up through the gap at the very front where the A pillar 'Nearly' meets the dash. There is a gap there but the rake of the screen means line of sight is not really possible, more 'poke and feel' and a little patience.

Edited by ajw1100
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/12/2016 at 15:04, Maverick999 said:

Thinkware F770 front and rear dash cam (vRS) Chickened out and had professionally installed! Would have liked central in windscreen, but apparently cabling would have been too cramped entering bottom of lane assist housing.

post-144064-0-55138100-1482590789_thumb.jpg

post-144064-0-38128200-1482590803_thumb.jpg

post-144064-0-19504200-1482590818_thumb.jpg

Hi. Do you think the front camera would have been better at the right hand side of the mirror so the lens was more central? 

47 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Hi. Do you think the front camera would have been better at the right hand side of the mirror so the lens was more central? 

Hi. It's only on the left so it's not too distracting in my field of view. Footage still looks nice and central and easily covers both curbs.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maverick999 said:

Hi. It's only on the left so it's not too distracting in my field of view. Footage still looks nice and central and easily covers both curbs.  

Cheers. I guess they assumed it would go in lhd cars more. I'm having mine fitted next week and just picking the best spot. That's assuming I get a choice. 

3 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Cheers. I guess they assumed it would go in lhd cars more. I'm having mine fitted next week and just picking the best spot. That's assuming I get a choice. 

Good stuff. I initially wanted it in the middle of the windscreen directly beneath the rear view mirror as it looked nice and symmetrical there, however there was insufficient room for the cabling apparently. Still, wouldn't be without it now :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've just installed my DDPai mini 2 today. Powered 24/7 with timelapse parking guard and 11.6v battery protect. Whole kit including 32GB SD card only costed me £63. I wanted something that is so tiny it's very hard to notice. The dashcam is completely hidden behind the rear view mirror, completely invisible to occupants. I as driver can see a part of the blinking LED if I move my head slightly, so I can check its status if needed.

IMG_0281.thumb.jpg.db626da2198c0fe6a5f1e2c9c3a5e470.jpgIMG_0279.thumb.jpg.fbf588e993040ed89d01000a271f8a4f.jpgIMG_0278.thumb.jpg.d8ddb624307e4773dfccd14036c17290.jpg

The fuse box wiring is because I wanted key switched 12v sockets. See my thread for more info:

Been meaning to add these for a while. Using a pair of Mobius cameras both hardwired in. Took a while for me to find mounts I was happy with for easy removal and placement.

20170604_143910_front_zpsywncv4zv.jpg

20170604_143835_rear_zpsztzvyyit.jpg

Edited by WayTooTall
Forgot the photos. Doh!!

On 25/06/2017 at 16:20, deepakvrao said:

Seen some posts mentioning that the Octavia 3 needs a mini blade, but some posts say standard.

Which should I order?

I needed standard size blade fuses in my Octavia 3.

1 hour ago, sneeks said:

I needed standard size blade fuses in my Octavia 3.

Thanks. I ordered the mini ones, saw that they were wrong and reordered the standard. Using the mini now in my other car. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys

I am looking into purchasing a dual lens dashcam but cant decide which one. I have researched a few but cant decide on one. Any of your opinions will be much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording-Monitoring/dp/B071CVVG93/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501883952&sr=8-1&keywords=dash+cam+dual+lens+1440p     (Never heard of this make before)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Z-EDGE-S3-Dual-Dash-Cam/dp/B071HN5M4F/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501884043&sr=8-2&keywords=dash+cam+dual+lens+1440p      (Again not sure on this one)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Tracker-G-sensor-Detection-Parking/dp/B073TZDYFW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501884132&sr=1-3&keywords=hp+dash+cam          (HP reputable make)

Any other dual lens dashcam you can recommend I would really appreciate it.

Cheers guys

Personally I would look at something like the Blackview DR650S-2CH (2CH = front and rear cameras)

The cameras are much more discreet, recorded content can be viewed directly onto a phone or tablet via wifi (no need to remove the SD card) and the recording quality is second to non, but they do cost more.

Good is rally cheap and cheap is rarely good. 

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Personally I would look at something like the Blackview DR650S-2CH (2CH = front and rear cameras)

The cameras are much more discreet, recorded content can be viewed directly onto a phone or tablet via wifi (no need to remove the SD card) and the recording quality is second to non, but they do cost more.

Good is rally cheap and cheap is rarely good. 

Thanks Gizmo I will look into the dashcam you mentioned. 

Do you leave the dashcam inside the car overnight?

Yes very good, in the works vehicles we even have the DR650S (1CH... front only camera) quality turned down to give more recording on the microSD card, the quality is still fine!

• 2 months later...

I've just re-fitted my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH front while awaiting a new DR750S-2CH. WHen it arrives I need to run the rear coax cable. On my MKII FL I did the tailgate properly, threading the cable through the tubing and removing the tailgate trim. Don't feel quite brave enough to do that on a brand new MKIII FL.

Has anyone come up with a way to tidy up the cable crossing the gap from headling to glass? I thought about wrapping the coax around a rod to make a spring that will stretch when opening the tailgate.

Thanks