Real World MPG figures

Got the car this morning, L&K Estate 150 DSG, with 4 miles on the clock and had a trundle around Northumberland in the rain and by the time I got home the maxidot was saying 44.1 mpg which I reckon is not bad and I tried all of the Mode options.

Just had a run out between Whitby and Scarborough and back - the roads are winding and hilly but I used 'Eco' mode and got an indicated 52mpg which I was pretty pleased with considering it's the 190ps 4x4 DSG. Two adults, two kids and associated parephenalia :)

Edited by Kungfugerbil

Travelled from Nottingham to Hawkestone Park Golf Club last week, well laden with two golf bags and two trolleys and one passenger using ACC set at 73mph (true 70mph) where road conditions and speed limits allowed. Some more rural roads nearer the venue after the A50 dual carriageway. Maxidot showed 49mpg on way there and 60mpg with ECO set on return journey. Brim to brim experience over 3 fills shows Maxidot about 3 mpg optimistic as was the case with my previous VW. Passat 2.0TDI.

The driving characteristics are very different in that when I cancel ACC the speed hardly drops in what I assume is "Coasting Mode".

This suits my usual driving style as I normally drift up to junctions, standing traffic etc. rather than braking hard.

I will test again on a long run to ascertain whether this was a one-off. Certainly, I was happy driving in ECO mode which I appreciate may not suit the press-on guys who work for a living!

In around 8 weeks my 1.4 TSI DSG Estate will arrive and I will hand back the wrongly supplied 2.0 TDI DSG. I hope I enjoy the Petrol as much as I enjoy the Diesel!

Spent the weekend pootling around the coastal roads of Northumbria and this morning a 10 mile round trip to work and the maxidot says 50 mpg from start - as good as my 12 year old Passat.

600 Miles in... 2.0TDI SE Business Combi.

Ok.. more mileage today and some good MPG returns if you drive it like Miss Daisy.

First photo is a run on the motorway through spec cameras and non specs but a steady traffic flow   17 miles covered in 19 mins, 86.9mpg using cruise and radar.

IMG-20160417-WA0008_zpsarndq99x.jpg

Next is the MPG 14 miles later out of the SPEC's with max speed at the national limit :)

As you can see the MPG has taken a hit but still respectable at 68.9mpg over 31 miles in 31 mins.

IMG-20160417-WA0009_zpskcsrsgkh.jpg

Last photo was taken when urban 8.5 miles from the destination with 46 miles covered  (30 miles motorway, rest A roads.) in 47 mins with a respectable MPG of 63.3mpg.

IMG-20160417-WA0007_zpsc62nuiru.jpg

The car can do the mpg if you drive to the expected standards.

Overall the Maxidot dropped 20miles from the fuel range while covering the 46 miles due to the average MPG covered. I did not get a note of what it peaked at

Car was 2 adults and 2 kids up with luggage for a day trip.

#########################

Older post -

500 miles in...

5 miles to motorway..
Cruise set to 75. M62>M1.

20160416_093727_zpsyxsgpmt5.jpg

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 2

Best tank full yet for my 1.4 ACT. Furthest I've ever covered on a single tank in any car, although admittedly, this car can swallow the most gas compared with old Mondeos and an Insignia I've had in the past. Was driving very gingerly for the last hundred miles today traveling from Llanelli back towards Wiltshire on the M4 as I was determined to break the 800 mile barrier. Driving to achieve this is boring but a challenge nevertheless.

IMAG1314_1_zps5039obap.jpg

• Like 3

It's generally a form of competition that doesn't end in a fine and high blood pressure whilst actually noticing what's around you, and for the retired it's a win win........so long as you're not under the feet of others of course.

Best tank full yet for my 1.4 ACT. Furthest I've ever covered on a single tank in any car, although admittedly, this car can swallow the most gas compared with old Mondeos and an Insignia I've had in the past. Was driving very gingerly for the last hundred miles today traveling from Llanelli back towards Wiltshire on the M4 as I was determined to break the 800 mile barrier. Driving to achieve this is boring but a challenge nevertheless.

IMAG1314_1_zps5039obap.jpg

That's fantastic economy from the 1.4 petrol unit there! :thumbup: I'm finding eco mode is great around the doors. Liverpool is mostly long straight A roads with 40mph limits and a lot of traffic / traffic lights (city centre excepted), and as such it's perfect for making full use of the 'sailing' coasting function in neutral. Just get up to speed and lift off the throttle as you approach the car ahead / traffic lights / roundabout / whatever. As soon as the speed drops 1 or 2 mph (which takes a while, surprisingly) tap the gas until you're back up and repeat ad infinitum. It gives great economy this way and saves up fuel for sport mode on the twisty roads. :D I use normal mode for the rest of the time as it's a bit meatier and more enjoyable.

Our 2.0T 220ps has done nearly 1,000 miles now and is giving us late 20s to early 30s MPG on very short local runs (a mile or two), and 42 to 44mpg on longer mixed A road / motorway runs. We got 38mpg on a 20 minute run to the garden centre from cold this morning. Can't argue with that. :) I'd love to see what it comes up with on a properly long motorway slog (several hundred miles), but we don't tend to do them more than once or twice a year any more. Either way I know it definitely does best on V-Power, which more than pays for itself (the cost of the fuel is more than outweighed by the extra MPG).

Second tank after another 14 days of driving from last. 28 days since we drove our new car out of the showroom. Still very impressed.

The last two weeks has seen very similar drives as the two before. Temperatures have also been more or less similar. The only difference I decided that these two weeks would be driven using ECO mode only.

A very interesting experience and I guess best suited for the short journeys with a lot of long stretches of road where coasting could be used. ACC used only on a few occasions at the beginning of this two-week period.

Since our daughter was borrowing the car today for a long journey we decided to fill the tank yesterday evening so she wouldn’t have to worry about that today. Therefore, not a full brim to brim fill up but close.

Two weeks ago we filled the car with 64.9 litres with the display showing we could travel 80 km with what was in the tank. From the showroom to our first tank we had driven 748 km giving an average of 8.68 l/100 km or approx. 32.54 mpg.

So what are the figures in ECO the last two weeks?

On refuelling the info display showed that we could drive another 140 km. We filled the tank with 61.22 litres and had driven 751 km since last refuelling giving an average of 8.15 l/100km or 34.66 mpg.

Long term stats as shown in CAR:

Travel: 1532 km (781 km)                       Average speed: 39 km/h (38 km/h)

Travel time: 39:14 h (20:53)                    Average fuel consumption: 8.3 l/100km or 34.03 mpg (8.8 l/100km or 32.10 mpg)

Since refuelling:

Travel: 751 km (748 km)                         Average speed: 41 km/h (42 km/h)

Travel time: 18:19 h (17:40 h)                 Average fuel consumption; 7.8 l/100km or 36.22 mpg (8.5 l/100km or 33.23 mpg)

(previous figures within brackets)

Here are some photos from the info display and CAR

IMG 1266

Long term

Since refueling

IMG 1271

• Like 1

da8c68b366125738ce23bfc4659c767f.jpg

I've just pulled up in Newport Pagnell services, having left Redditch this morning. Steady 70 mostly ACC. So, it can be done! Journey home will be more spirited, so I'd expect that leg to drop to low 40s....

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

That's amazing...a good 20mpg better than my current S2 170 4x4 estate.

I managed 50.2 yesterday, on a 560 mile jaunt from South West wales to Preston and back across country. I hammered it both ways, so 4500 up shift when accelerating / overtaking at every opportunity. I think that keeping the engine speed above 2200 helps avoid DPF regens which destroy fuel economy

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just completed a Friday afternoon Whitby-Leicester run full laden with the family and associated child carnage. Using ACC but intervening when eejits slowed process uncomfortably, I got a solid 49.0. I must admit I had hoped motorway runs would be in the 50s ... Anyone with a 190 DSG 4x4 hatch got any numbers to compare that to?

Edited by Kungfugerbil
  • Like 1

Came back from Edgaston to Warrington yesterday, 2 adults and 2 teenagers, drove at 68mph, with approx 10 miles at 50mph for Knutsford roadworks, with average of 71.4mpg, addjusted down to 67.1mpg, as brim to brim overreads by approx 6%. Total return journey of 66.6mpg, adjusted down to 62.6mpg. Bad tarffic getting into Edgbaston, otherwise overall would have been even higher. Car at 5k miles. Not bad figures when you stick to speed limit. Range shows 500 miles, when done 420 miles, so 900+ theoretical range!

post-132946-0-43882300-1462179505_thumb.jpgpost-132946-0-07568000-1462179521_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike66
  • Like 1

A slow, stop start return trip on A roads with 15 miles total of motorway with a average speed of 29mph. Using sport mode and not driving gently.

Not bad return really.

20160502_175243_zpsocq4qpji.jpg

Edited by RickTT

Just been away to the east coast for a few days. Covered about 180 miles. Mainly motorway and fast a-road.

Mode normal.

ACC Set to 60 on a roads and motorway.

Columbus read 32.3

First time i've bothered looking at it in 3000 mile ;-)

Edited by Nick_H
  • Like 1

Hi,

Only got our L&K 190 combo two days ago so we are "running in" just back from a jaunt around North Wales now have 375 miles on the clock and Maxi is showing 50.1. M.P.G.

Ok I know it has not gone 10 days since last but after a long weekend break (started last Wednesday afternoon) including a 336 km drive visiting relatives it was time to fill her up again before driving back home yesterday.

What a comfortable drive. Most of it in Comfort mode on country roads (long stretches of road - I guess similar to UK "A and B" roads) and motorway with some driving in ECO whilst in town. Even used the ventilation in the seats for the first time. With temperatures over 20 Celsius we hit summer overnight.

With the needle just hitting the red and giving 120 km on what is left.

IMG 1315

This time round we filled the tank with 64 litres and had driven 878 km giving an average of 7.29 l/100km (38.75 mpg).

Long term stats as shown in CAR:

Travel: 2411 km (1532 km)                                           Average speed: 43 km/h (39 km/h)

Travel time: 55:40 h (39:14)                                          Average fuel consumption: 7.9 l/100km or 35.76 mpg (8.3 l/100km or 34.03 mpg)

Since refuelling:

Travel: 878 km (751 km)                         Average speed: 54 km/h (41 km/h)

Travel time: 16:25 h (18:19 h)                 Average fuel consumption; 7.3 l/100km or 38.70 mpg (7.8 l/100km or 36.22 mpg)

(previous figures within brackets)

Here are some photos from the info display and CAR

IMG 1313

IMG 1314

IMG 1316

And here is an interesting photo showing the lowest consumption that we had averaged up until this time - 6.1 l/100km (46.31 mpg). Close to the end of our journey home we averaged 5.8 l/100km (48.70 mpg) before hitting roadwork's the last 30 km. Our final average for the journey was 6.1 l/100km. From start of journey.

IMG 1312

Edited by ssc
  • Like 1

Your mission is to get the miles to empty to display 995km. :)

:D accepted, as long as nothing self-destructs on the way ​

Lifetime beat of 64.8 mpg over 219 miles this morning

150tdi manual

Heavy traffic for quite a while and some clear roads with ACC set at 80mph

That's a 65 plate with 16,000 miles. I think 70mpg would be possible with a lighter right foot. Those figs aren't far off my last car, a 1.6d 1 series economic model..

Lifetime best of 64.8 mpg over 219 miles this morning

150tdi manual

Heavy traffic for quite a while and some clear roads with ACC set at 80mph

That's a 65 plate with 16,000 miles. I think 70mpg would be possible with a lighter right foot. Those figs aren't far off my last car, a 1.6d 1 series economic model..

Edited by teebs

Did Warrington to Coventry this morning, 100 mile trip, mainly on M6, but in rush hour traffic. Stop/Start at the beginning through roadworks, then stuck to mid 64-66mph. Maxidot showed 74.1mpg, which corrected is 70.1mpg

post-132946-0-83186200-1462993423_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike66

Went to my office in Blackburn today from Lincolnshire, the car had done just over 300 miles so far and it returned 58.8 mpg going which included about 20 mins of stop start traffic. Coming back it returned 60.6 which would have been higher but for a regen about 20 miles from home that dropped it from 63 ish. So overall more than happy with that.

These are the vital statistics for this current tank of derv. 

The car's boot is full of work equipment and the roof bars are on. It's a combination of motorway driving and crawling around central London. 

I'm pretty satisfied with that, considering the (190 DSG) engine hasn't quite hit 5,000 miles yet. 

post-6717-0-85583300-1463087779_thumb.jpg

P.S. Sorry about the dust..... :peek:

Edited by dstev2000
  • Like 2