Diesel software update

The Scandal over Defeat Devices was with Euro 5 Emission TDI's.

After September 2015 VW Group Dealers and the Importers had to stop selling Unregistered Euro 5 Engine Vehicles.

No idea if these have been allowed to be modified and then sold, but that is doubtful as there is no Approved Fix yet.

New cars are Euro 6 Engines, and some of those were caught up in the C02 Irregularities (EU Testing Irregularities) Scandal that has meant VWG have to change the Emissions / VED Bands of some Diesels and Petrols.

A different matter, and one that VW seem to have got away with rather lightly.

One suspects they knew the issue was coming down the line and made sure the Euro 6 models were compliant from the start. If my father's Octavia is anything to go by though, the Euro 6 tuning is nowhere near as nice to drive, on the 1.6 at least. Very poor pedal response at no load, and in first gear.

Meant to post this too, a video from CCC earlier this year from two guys who looked into what's actually going on with this issue: https://media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7331-the_exhaust_emissions_scandal_dieselgate

The technical work was done on an SCR equipped car, but it's still instructive to see how the emissions mode changed.

This video is fantastic, and answers most of the questions we all have about the scandal from an ex. VW engineer (and another guy).

The owner of a VW dealership over here (Ireland) told me that the 1.6 fix slated for Q3 was now very "aspirational".  The 1.6 EA189 was by far the most popular motor in the Superb II here. So I'm going to wait until I hear how an updated car drives before I let anyone near mine.

The letters I have received (VW Group and from Skoda) are just the same recycled platitudes generated by some marketing/PR weenies and are devoid of any real information.

My dealer reckoned that they would not be able to deploy the fixes until mid year as while they can do a lot of software remapping in the lab, it really needs be tested properly in both real world winter AND summer conditions in the Northern hemisphere including things like towing. That might mean that while the winter testing is complete they are waiting for temperatures to rise a bit before finally signing the software off for production.  They would lose all credibility with their customers if they delivered a fix that was only half-baked.

IMO, the letters from Skoda are bull****.  NOx production depends on maximum cycle temperature,.  The higher, the more NOx and the better the efficiency.  Drop the max cycle temp to reduce NOx and down goes efficiency.  It is thermodynamics 101. Don't want mine done.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

My wife has just had a letter from SKODA  asking her to bring the superb estate 1.6tdi in for the EA 189 nox emissions service done, should she have it done or is it OK to keep running it as is?