Top Gear Starts Sunday BBC2, 20.00hrs

I think that was a bit weak. Better to have put his hands up and admit it was a bit rough but that things will get better as they find their feet.

Agree with that. The revamp of Top Gear in 2002 wasn't good to start with because it was a new format and took time to Gel and bed in. Sundays show was a well established format with new presenters, it could work, but probably without Evans.

Anyway he's still spouting facts to defend his position on twitter. The majority of criticism seams to be about Evans himself and his presenting style, but he either cannot see it or won't accept it.

What will he do next week if the figures come in at 2 million?

What will he do next week if the figures come in at 2 million?

I'm guessing they'll have already filmed the studio segment for next week. So I guess it'll be much the same as Sunday i.e. not very good.

A bit more time and they'll make some changes for the studio but the outside unit stuff is all done so no changes there until next series.

I do hope it gets time to bed in. It's not fair to judge on one episode or even one series. Maybe it's got to fail before the BBC producers and marketing teams will let go of the string and let them change it.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Could not have said it better. TG with the three amigos was stale and had probably run its time. I think most would agree with this and that the show was due a revamp. As said, Chris Evans is like Marmite, and I don't like Marmite so this new series was always going to be difficult for me. However, I had expected them to change something, but they hadn't. And as for the references to the previous show, why do this? TG with the three amigos is dead, long live TG should have been their thoughts. I did not find the comments funny, and if they are trying to distance themselves from the Clarkson era why comment on it? Obviously it was a big act to follow and at present they have not succeeded. My preference would be to bin Evans or at least quieten him down, everyone take a deep breath and relax, and then carry on as if nothing had happened. Then they may start to move forward.

I'll carryon watching for the time being simply as it is the only car show on TV, but more importantly I'll definitely be watching Extra Gear on BBC3.

I'm guessing they'll have already filmed the studio segment for next week. So I guess it'll be much the same as Sunday i.e. not very good.

A bit more time and they'll make some changes for the studio but the outside unit stuff is all done so no changes there until next series.

I do hope it gets time to bed in. It's not fair to judge on one episode or even one series. Maybe it's got to fail before the BBC producers and marketing teams will let go of the string and let them change it.

Although all of the outside filming will have been done and dusted the producers still have time to sort out the studio presentation and links before Sundays show. Old TG used to be made on the Wednesday, so there is time to edit and tweek. I haven't seen the BBC3 part as I'm working in Denmark and I can't get the iPlayer on the BBC website. I don't really want two shows, why cut the series from 8 to 6 shows if they have material for the extra show?

I didnt think it was good, it should have gone a different direction, although whatever direction it would be blasted as too many people hate Chris Evans, it will get better with time I expect.  

When "new" TG started in around 2003, the presenters had no chemistry, it had awful production and an embarrasingly small live audience. It wasnt for a few series that it became the show we grew to love, or hate in some cases.

If you cant remember look on youtube, you might be shocked. James May wasnt even in it then, it had Jason Dawes.

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdailydoseuk%2Fvideos%2Fvb.1513956532155499%2F1733623553522128%2F%3Ftype%3D3&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

• Like 1

^ whatever that is, it doesn't work....

Probably just as well, it's a video of Lee Patrick mooning at a television screen showing Chris Evans on Top Gear :(

• Like 1

Anyone remarking on how 'monotone' Matt leBlanc sounds should maybe remind themselves of this..........

I think Top Gear with Clarkson in charge actually started in October 2002, here's an extract: https://youtu.be/_fPSzSVD9mE?list=PLFBF5D68A37F63409

I think Top Gear with Clarkson in charge actually started in October 2002, here's an extract: https://youtu.be/_fPSzSVD9mE?list=PLFBF5D68A37F63409

I think the 89 clip was Clarksons first time on screen evvah. And he was crap.

First series with Clarkson in charge, was.....well.... I was going to say crap and it was relatively, but it was still a lot better than Sunday.

series 1  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEDh8UCXR4c&list=PLQ5oVXrinSobpgKPOSaco0uWTm4Q5frU0

Back in the UK I watched TG extra on the iplayer. 24 minutes run time and a lot better than the actual TG. 

Drop Evans and make one show combining the two shows and they might make something better. The program is clearly aimed at a younger audience with the presenting style.

Episode 2 tonight...I won't bother watching after last week.

The Radio Times has stated in the preview for tonight's show that 'Extra Gear' was going to be launched on BBC 2 tonight, but after last weeks ratings they have decided to leave it on BBC 3 online or iplayer.

Canned laughter added to last weeks show to fill in where the audience forgot laugh or didn't find it funny.

I finally got round to watching it on catch-up....

They've obviously gone with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" amd stuck with the old format. Not a bad thing in my book, although obviously they need time to gel for it to work.

Yes, Chris did shout a bit but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be given what I had read on here. It came across like he was simply trying to be heard in a big warehouse/hanger, so I don't see it has his fault IMO.

All things considered, I thought it was alright and will be giving it time to see how it develops.

Yes, Chris did shout a bit but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be given what I had read on here. It came across like he was simply trying to be heard in a big warehouse/hanger, so I don't see it has his fault IMO.

Same location and hanger at Dunsfold as previous Top Gear programmes.

• Like 1

Not sure what you're thinking to make this point?!?

That the other 3 didnt feel the need to shout to be heard..

• Like 2