Amundsen MIB STD2 infotainment system with Android in Superb II

I'm pretty sure you have. here is how it looks in VCDS adaptation channels map:

IDE10480-MAS10741-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 1,activated 
IDE10480-MAS10742-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 2,not activated 
IDE10480-MAS10743-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 3,not activated 
IDE10480-MAS10744-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 4,not activated 

15 minutes ago, pab567 said:

I'm pretty sure you have. here is how it looks in VCDS adaptation channels map:

IDE10480-MAS10741-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 1,activated 
IDE10480-MAS10742-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 2,not activated 
IDE10480-MAS10743-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 3,not activated 
IDE10480-MAS10744-Interface for external media: activation-Connection 4,not activated 

Ok , I will try it with vcds . Can you use both phones in one time ? For example one for Android Auto and second phone  just for music streaming via usb?

Hi , i activated 

and I a had already active this :

ENG109862-ENG130247-Vehicle_configuration-Support_second_phone

Anyway I can´t see two SMartlinks connections as you can  and I can´t stream music from the same phone via bluetooth if I have one active connection via android auto with the same phone. 

On 26/07/2020 at 20:53, KLM556 said:

I own a 2010 Superb 2 combi witch came with the the columbus unit and the 10 speakers sound system.

Now, i'm trying to upgrade my installation to have carplay.

Following this topic, il already bought a Bolero (5L0035200 B ) and an USB port (5Q0035726 E).

Now the harness is missing.

Is a harness with this type of connectors will work with my unit ?

Did you get it to work? I just purchased a 2010 Superb Elegance and need to upgrade the unit to one with CarPlay asap!

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a new car (2012 Superb 3T) and just found this thread and working out the lost of parts I am going to need to put the MIB2PQ in. Does anyone sell units set up ready for a Superb on Briskoda now?

I have a stock Bolero and want DAB and AirPlay to work with our car. I have a Rosstech unit in the garage still which I had for my old VRS before we sold it so I can do some coding.

was hoping there was a guide for the software updates and dash firmware etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly a stupid question, but does the Amundsen unit slot straight in? I'm struggling to fit mine, it seems to hit a plastic 'stop' about 10mm before slotting home, leaving a gap that means I can't screw it back in.

I've tried a million times to **** the wires out of the way behind it etc, but obviously it's not the easiest access! 

Just don't to keep trying if it never actually fits perfectly! 

3 hours ago, Zukabak said:

Possibly a stupid question, but does the Amundsen unit slot straight in? I'm struggling to fit mine, it seems to hit a plastic 'stop' about 10mm before slotting home, leaving a gap that means I can't screw it back in.

I've tried a million times to **** the wires out of the way behind it etc, but obviously it's not the easiest access! 

Just don't to keep trying if it never actually fits perfectly! 

Well, maybe to help out others with the same issue.. turns out it doesn't slot home as 'snugly' as the Columbus initially, but you can still screw it in properly once you get the screws to bite home. I think it's due to where the USB/Aux Fakra connection sits on the rear of the unit (as the Columbus doesn't have it).

26 minutes ago, Oli said:

Ah so it is just the wires compressing on the rear? I am weighing up the PQ style upgrade against the JVC alternative at the moment. The cost is about the same. 

No, not that simple I'm afraid.. when the unit's removed from the car you can see a vertical plastic bar running done the centre of the empty slot. I imagine that doesn't exist on cars designed for the Amundsen, as the Fakra connection hits it basically.

I (obviously!) chose to go via the OEM route and I'm really happy. Under £450 for everything (including CP removal and all features unlocked) thanks to some careful breaker's yard dealing.

Been doing lots of research myself to weigh it all up and figure out the correct part numbers. Then it's a case of speaking to my local dealer or a reliable garage to see if they will do the component protection bit for me for something reasonable.

10 hours ago, Oli said:

Been doing lots of research myself to weigh it all up and figure out the correct part numbers. Then it's a case of speaking to my local dealer or a reliable garage to see if they will do the component protection bit for me for something reasonable.

Your local dealer won't remove CP, as they can't. The car was never designed to run the MIB2 unit, so the proper way of removing CP (pairing the unit to the car via ODIS so it's happy with challenge requests from the clocks etc) doesn't work. Hence why you need to find a 3rd party who'll do it.. they also tend to be same people who'll (illegally, I should add) enable features like Car Play without valid licenses.. which is why you won't find a 'Fisher-Price Guide' for this stuff.

Ok.. 
So I'm still tweaking things to get the Amundsen fully working and I've essentially got two separate issues now (at least, I assume they're separate!)

1 - VCDS scan is showing a couple of errors, mainly that it can't contact the Radio/Nav:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 37: Navigation
Cannot be reached

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 56: Radio
Cannot be reached

Is it normal for the MIB2 unit controllers to be 'unreachable'?

The other issue is that my handsfree phone no longer works, with a scan showing a possible wiring issue?
I'm using a 40pin to 54pin Quadlock adapter, so it's possible it's something to do with that. Might need to get the multimeter out tomorrow.

Address 77: Telephone (J412)       Labels:| 3C8-035-730-A.clb
   Part No SW: 3C8 035 730 C    HW: 3C8 035 730 C
   Component: Telefon       012 0822  
   Revision: --------    Serial number: 35909603495942
   Coding: 020100000100010000000000
   Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00999
   ASAM Dataset: EV_UHVPremi A02705
   ROD: EV_UHVPremi_A02.rod
   VCID: 23455A8B2AD5F19E2E-8076

3 Faults Found:
9457427 - Left audio channel for speech/telephone 
          B104F 13 [009] - Short to GND
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 4
                    Fault Frequency: 3
                    Reset counter: 176
                    Mileage: 125289 km
                    Date: 2020.09.13
                    Time: 15:27:25

9457169 - Right audio channel for speech/telephone 
          B104E 11 [008] - Short to GND
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 216
                    Time: 15:30:11

9455635 - Telephone Microphone 
          B1048 13 [009] - Open Circuit
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 176
                    Time: 15:27:25

@pab567 - Is this something that you've come across when carrying out your various Columbus - Amundsen upgrades?

6 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Disconnect the old Bluetooth module, it's no longer needed.

Neither 37 or 56 exist as the new unit is at 5f 😉

Easy as that?
Lovely stuff, I've give it a whirl later on.

've been adding the long coding to the 5F module (I need to manually enter it as my CANBUS module is a little old) to get the Smartlink working. It's hard to overstate just how much better these units are than the Columbus. Miles faster, an actual responsive touch screen, Spotify and Google Maps etc.. bliss! :mmm:

1 hour ago, Zukabak said:

Easy as that?
Lovely stuff, I've give it a whirl later on.

So.. no. Not as easy as that.
Disconnected the BT unit under the seat and the only difference it made was VCDS not being able to see module 77 anymore. :biggrin:

So basically with the BT module disconnected, I can still happily stream music to the Amundsen and make and recieve calls etc.. it's just that the mic doesn't work (for either Skoda voice commands or Siri/Google). Any ideas @langers2k?

I'm hoping it's something simple coding wise - Module 5F is currently long coded with this snappy little combo.
03130601FF00000011111201008800002F0000C60120010046

Posts on the VW retrofits of the same sort of upgrade mention removing the old Bluetooth module from the gateway list and physically disconnecting it. 
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php%3f7236914-MIB-2-Retrofit&p=109167033&viewfull=1&amp=1

there’s also a discussion about the microphone. 

from the Rosstech wiki

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/3621/page-3

I did a Discover Media MIB2 retrofit on a 2010 Passat B6 which had RNS510 with voice control and the mic still didn't work. The problem was from the quadlock adapter - the pins were inserted in the wrong place. On the car side of the quadlock adapter the pins for the microphone were inserted in positions 6 and 12 instead of 1 and 7 and on the MIB2 side of the adapter the positions were correct but the + and - were reversed. I moved the pins on both sides of the quadlock adapter and now the mic works.

Edited by Oli

4 minutes ago, Oli said:

I did a Discover Media MIB2 retrofit on a 2010 Passat B6 which had RNS510 with voice control and the mic still didn't work. The problem was from the quadlock adapter - the pins were inserted in the wrong place. On the car side of the quadlock adapter the pins for the microphone were inserted in positions 6 and 12 instead of 1 and 7 and on the MIB2 side of the adapter the positions were correct but the + and - were reversed. I moved the pins on both sides of the quadlock adapter and now the mic works.

There's a good chance it could be adapter, I'll have to double check it tomorrow.. just a ball-ache having to take everything out, but if a job's worth doing and all that!

Basically it depends what the car was originally equipt with.

If you had the Columbus/RNS-510 with voice control, the mic should already be wired to the quadlock so assuming the 40-52 pin quadlock adaptor has the two wires, it'll just work.

If you had a Columbus/RNS-510 without voice control or any other headunit and a bluetooth module, the mic is directly wired to the BT module. You'll need to tweak the wiring to move the mic to the new headunit.

Edited by langers2k

Just now, langers2k said:

Basically it depends what the car was originally equipt with.

If you had the Columbus/RNS-510 with voice control, the mic should already be wired to the quadlock so assuming the 40-52 pin quadlock adaptor has the two wires, it'll just work.

If you had a Columbus/RNS-510 without voice control or any other headunit and a bluetooth module, the mic is directly wired to the BT module. You'll need to tweak the wiring to move the mic to the new headunit.

I had Columbus with voice control and I remember being a bit surprised that the adapter had only two wires on the 'B' rail. I'll check the polarity etc of it all tomorrow.
It's this adapter BTW - Cheap QL adapter

The two wires from the white section on the 40 pin side to the blue block on the 52 pin side should be the mic.

However, looking at a RNS-510 wiring diagram, it seems they are in the wrong place?

On the 40 pin side, it should be pins 1 and 7 on connector C:

Volkswagen RNS 510 Quadlock Car Stereo pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com

On the 52 pin side, it should be pins 1 and 7 on connector B:

Maps & More App on the NEW High Up late 2016 | Page 2 | Up Owners Club

It's probably worth checking the adaptor actually does that...

As for coding, I can't check with VCDS for individual bits/bytes but I used lcode 03130601FF00000051110201008800002F0100D60120010046 on my unit looking at old scans :)

44 minutes ago, langers2k said:

The two wires from the white section on the 40 pin side to the blue block on the 52 pin side should be the mic.

However, looking at a RNS-510 wiring diagram, it seems they are in the wrong place?

On the 40 pin side, it should be pins 1 and 7 on connector C:

Volkswagen RNS 510 Quadlock Car Stereo pinout diagram @ pinoutguide.com

Thanks, that's a useful comparison..

As you mention, that photo of the actual adapter looks like they've used 6 & 12 on C?

Hopefully it'll be as simple as just moving those pins!

Sorted!

Exactly as per the discussion above and the comment Oli found on the Ross-Tech forums, I just moved the two pins from their incorrect location (they were also mis-labelled as 'phone mute') to where they should be and lo and behold, mic now works fine.. even when using the MFSW button to launch 'Hey Google' or Siri.

Also mounted the new Aux/USB slot in the old Aux place in the arm rest cubby so it looks like a factory install. :)