Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

My car is in the garage with this issue now. 2015 Octavia. Dealer I bought from sent it Skoda for diagnosis, they reported that it needs a new assembly ... €1500. My warranty is up,  Warranty was '1 year or 20000km' , I've done 27k in 11 months. When I purchased the car they threw in a further 2 year warranty with some crowd called auto protect. It's been referred to them to approve the repair now. I've read mixed reviews on this company. 

My local Skoda dealer had my Mk3 VRS in recently to fix this issue. I was informed by them that they had to replace the whole unit.

Happy to report that I've not had any issues since. I didn't realise it was such an expensive fix!

$1500??? I was told by my dealer I had skipped a bullet, as it was a ~£400 fix.

With the sheer number of these I see happening (and on their VAG siblings), I would expect at least a contribution from the dealer, if not full payment.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this thread as I'm getting exactly the same error message on my MY64 Seat Leon 1.8 DSG. The car runs fine apart from hideous squeaky, groany suspension that should get a check during its MOT on Wednesday.

Fortunately I have a very good and comprehensive warranty with the car so I'm confident the error message problem should get sorted. My concern though is getting the warranty company to believe there is a problem as they may insist on seeing evidence of the error message.

There may well be some error messages logged in the cars ECU however it will be a lot of hassle to get the car booked in to initially find this out.

Is it possible for me to get into the car's system to find out if there are any problems logged. I presume I need a VCDS cable to do this?

I don't want to invest too much in this so am I right in thinking one of these would suffice?

Any other advice or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable-KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-OBD2-II-OBD-Diagnostic-Scanner-VW-Audi-Seat-VCDS-UK/323438397327?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151016114640%26meid%3Dc77456e1be7444468229f890680218f9%26pid%3D100507%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D323438397327&_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226

Pretty sure when I had this, my error scanner showed the following error (from the first page)….

VCDS should show:

Address 16: Steering wheel 

1 Fault Found:

617752 - Selector Lever Park Position Lock Switch 

B1162 29 [008] - Signal Implausible. 

Get an error code scanner, and then just google the codes you get. Mine pointed directly at this thread, or one of the others on this issue.

1 minute ago, SnailUK said:

From looking, this problem is common across Seat/VW/Audi/Skoda, so you should not back down when asking the warranty company for a fix!

Don't worry. I'm going to be like a dog with a bone on this matter!

Fingers crossed I'll get a record of the error messages this afternoon.

• Like 1

Good News

I've had the Leon on the diagnostics and it showed up this error. That reassures me that i can start the long process of getting the Seat Dealer and the Warranty Company to rectify the problem.

16 Steering Wheel Electronics 1 problems exist

1.B116229 Selector lever park position lock switch - Implausible signal

• Thanks 1

Mine is currently in having the gear leaver replaced for this issues and also the clutch packs as I was getting intermittent clutch slip in 2nd and 4th.

A £3500 estimated total cost. Luckily still under warranty.

Lee

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

Mine is currently in having the gear leaver replaced for this issues and also the clutch packs as I was getting intermittent clutch slip in 2nd and 4th.

A £3500 estimated total cost. Luckily still under warranty.

Lee

It's costs like that which will probably persuade me to sell the car before the warranty runs out. How many miles has your car done?

2 minutes ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

It's costs like that which will probably persuade me to sell the car before the warranty runs out. How many miles has your car done?

It has factory 5 year warranty.

Lee

Well, just been informed that replacing the Gear Lever and Clutch Packs has not solved all the issues.

I now need the Mechatronic changing as well.

Suspect with all the labour I'd be looking at nearly £5k if I wasn't in warranty.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Sad 2

So, I have a few options here...I will contact VW Corporate to see if they can cover this being that it is an epidemic issue with alot of their GTI's and or ignore it.  Being that the error shows up randomly?  How serious could this be anyway?  Sorry for my ignorance..

My Leon is now booked in with Seat. It's going to be a bit of a drag as it has to firstly go in so they can do their diagnostics and find out what is wrong. Even though I've already done that! Then it will have to go back in at some point for the actual work.

Guess what. I've started looking at other cars starting with the new Civic.

31 minutes ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

My Leon is now booked in with Seat. It's going to be a bit of a drag as it has to firstly go in so they can do their diagnostics and find out what is wrong. Even though I've already done that! Then it will have to go back in at some point for the actual work.

Guess what. I've started looking at other cars starting with the new Civic.

I can understand why!  It’s easy to lose faith. 

My vRS DSG had this fault and was fixed (thankfully) under an extended warranty (Skoda Used Approved). 

But the new gear shifter has delaminated since at the top front - chrome coming away to reveal plastic underneath - at the top of button that pushes in. 

And the gearbox is now graunchy / jerky at low speeds. My previous 2 DSG boxes never were. 

But, I still love the car in almost every other way. 

(I did spend 30 mins today at Kia looking at the Stinger GT-S with the head of sales though......) 

Bought the Leon in January.

Since then it has had two new rear shock absorbers and top mounts. £260

A flappy paddle for the gear shift. £340

Now the gear selector problem.£???

Fortunately all these have been covered under warranty however that runs out in 4 months time hence starting to consider other options.

Ironically I had a test drive in the Civic and got back in the Leon and thought, what a really nice car this is. Two minutes later there was a 'PING' and the error message flashed on yet again. It's time to swap!!!

Only swapping is almost always more expensive than fixing what we have!

I often find a good clean / wax and new toy or mod for the current car keeps the ‘change monkey’ within at bay for a few more months! 

Good luck whatever you decide to do! 

Edited by dunc69

• 3 weeks later...

So my Leon has just been into the local Seat Dealers and despite me taking every possible means of making sure they found an error code they have told me that no error codes were present. The car got a nice wash and valet but to be honest I was hoping for more for the sum £79. On top of that there inow a nice 25mm long scratch on the front bumper that wasn't there before. Currently waiting for a phone call from the service manage to explain this which should be difficult as a good set of photos were take on the car prior to them taking it in.

My independent mechanic assures me that he did not delete the error code when he did the diagnostics so it's unclear what has happened.

Could a car clear the code by itself?

2 hours ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

So my Leon has just been into the local Seat Dealers and despite me taking every possible means of making sure they found an error code they have told me that no error codes were present. The car got a nice wash and valet but to be honest I was hoping for more for the sum £79. On top of that there inow a nice 25mm long scratch on the front bumper that wasn't there before. Currently waiting for a phone call from the service manage to explain this which should be difficult as a good set of photos were take on the car prior to them taking it in.

My independent mechanic assures me that he did not delete the error code when he did the diagnostics so it's unclear what has happened.

Could a car clear the code by itself?

When mine went in there were no codes showing. 

I simply said, “I have read the error message on the maxidot, I am aware this is a known issue and I want you to fix it. Why would I have wasted my time coming here otherwise?”  

I showed them this thread and a VW thread (link on here somewhere earlier). 

I effectively challenged them to say I was lying. It worked, gear assembly changed. 

Edited by dunc69

My problem though is that my car doesn't have a manufacturers warranty. The warranty I do have has been very good so far but they insist on the Seat dealership providing evidence of a problem and they can't seem to find that proof in the form of an error code. They gave me a print out to confirm that. Until the error message appears again there's not a lot I can do. The other thing is that my 12 month warranty runs out in January and it's highly unlikely I won't be driving around in a VAG car after that.

Ok, so at least get in writing now that you have told them about the problem. Then, when it reoccurs after your warranty runs out, you should still be able to get it fixed.