Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

Buy a SEAT extended Warranty.  One with enough cover.   

Then they can not say Known Issue if an issue occurs and a Warranty Claim because now they have a Master Tech saying no faults.

This applies with a Skoda, Audi or VW as well, as it is they really own the Underwriters of the Warranties.

3 hours ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

So my Leon has just been into the local Seat Dealers and despite me taking every possible means of making sure they found an error code they have told me that no error codes were present. The car got a nice wash and valet but to be honest I was hoping for more for the sum £79. On top of that there inow a nice 25mm long scratch on the front bumper that wasn't there before. Currently waiting for a phone call from the service manage to explain this which should be difficult as a good set of photos were take on the car prior to them taking it in.

My independent mechanic assures me that he did not delete the error code when he did the diagnostics so it's unclear what has happened.

Could a car clear the code by itself?

Codes that are transient and do not recur after so many vehicle starts get cleared by the cars ECU.

So my Leon has just been into the local Seat Dealers and despite me taking every possible means of making sure they found an error code they have told me that no error codes were present. The car got a nice wash and valet but to be honest I was hoping for more for the sum £79. On top of that there inow a nice 25mm long scratch on the front bumper that wasn't there before. Currently waiting for a phone call from the service manage to explain this which should be difficult as a good set of photos were take on the car prior to them taking it in.

My independent mechanic assures me that he did not delete the error code when he did the diagnostics so it's unclear what has happened.

Could a car clear the code by itself?

Codes that are transient and do not recur after so many vehicle starts get cleared by the cars ECU.

2 minutes ago, MoggyTech said:

This could well explain the problem with finding the Error Code. Annoyingly I had to wait 3 weeks from my independent diagnostics test (the one that showed the error) to today's Seat Dealer diagnosis.

Presumably if the error message appears again I need to get it to Seat ASAP?

5 hours ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

This could well explain the problem with finding the Error Code. Annoyingly I had to wait 3 weeks from my independent diagnostics test (the one that showed the error) to today's Seat Dealer diagnosis.

Presumably if the error message appears again I need to get it to Seat ASAP?

If the message appears on the maxidot long enough take a picture with your phone. Or have a VCDS scan done and print out the error which will include time and date fault occurred.

• 2 weeks later...

The car has been behaving itself for several weeks but today the Error message flashed up again. It's up for less than a second so never any chance of getting a photo.

In two minds what to do with the car as it is generally nice to drive and live with.

Option 1 is keep it and get a Seat warranty from when the existing warranty runs out in Jan 2019.

Option 2 is to swap it for another car. High on my list is the BMW 4 series Gran Coupe or one of the new Civic 1.5's.

While the error message is annoying there appears to be nothing actually wrong with the car. Is this the case and if so what is ultimately likely to happen if the problem is just ignored?

12 minutes ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

The car has been behaving itself for several weeks but today the Error message flashed up again. It's up for less than a second so never any chance of getting a photo.

In two minds what to do with the car as it is generally nice to drive and live with.

Option 1 is keep it and get a Seat warranty from when the existing warranty runs out in Jan 2019.

Option 2 is to swap it for another car. High on my list is the BMW 4 series Gran Coupe or one of the new Civic 1.5's.

While the error message is annoying there appears to be nothing actually wrong with the car. Is this the case and if so what is ultimately likely to happen if the problem is just ignored?

Option 2 seems a bit drastic, unless you really want a new car anyway?

You have warranty so push the dealer on getting this sorted before your warranty is up. It's not exactly a rare issue.

• Like 1

As you can see earlier in the thread I've already tried and they couldn't find the error code. The same could happen again if I let them have the car.

Forgot to mention earlier that they kindly left a scratch on my car. I used that as a way of getting them to waive the £79 bill that they were going to charge for the diagnostics. The scratch was minor so fortunately i could easily polish it out myself.

@MadeInYorkshire

From an earlier post I made in this thread:

I said to my dealer, “this is a known fault, I know you can’t see a fault code, but why would I waste my time coming to you otherwise?  My car has this fault, I am within warranty and you guys need to fix it. Otherwise I will keep coming back here until you agree to help.”

They then agreed (finally) that this was a known issue and changed the gear shift assembly. 

• Like 1

But my car is a MY64 and covered by a non manufacturers warranty. There lies the difficulty as it's not Seat that needs to be convinced to foot the bill but someone else. I'm not prepared to keep paying £79 in the hope that an error code is found and that can then be used as proof for the warranty company to authorise the repair cost.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 23:57, dunc69 said:

@MadeInYorkshire

From an earlier post I made in this thread:

I said to my dealer, “this is a known fault, I know you can’t see a fault code, but why would I waste my time coming to you otherwise?  My car has this fault, I am within warranty and you guys need to fix it. Otherwise I will keep coming back here until you agree to help.”

They then agreed (finally) that this was a known issue and changed the gear shift assembly. 

I recently got mine changed due to the error message popping up quiet often. After the change the gear shift feels noticeably stiff. Is this normal? :/

46 minutes ago, deathsoul12 said:

I recently got mine changed due to the error message popping up quiet often. After the change the gear shift feels noticeably stiff. Is this normal? :/

Yes, mine did feel stiffer afterwards! (Matron!!)

I had forgotten that!

I soon got used to it. Presumably the stiffer version is the right one. 

Edited by dunc69

18 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

Yes, mine did feel stiffer afterwards! (Matron!!)

I had forgotten that!

I soon got used to it. Presumably the stiffer version is the right one. 

Oh really!? It feels weird for me. It feels like sometimes it gets stuck in mid lol. feels so weird. Did the stiffness fade away within time or is it still there?

Edited by deathsoul12

No, it didn’t / doesn’t feel weird. No getting stuck or notchiness. 

It was just slightly firmer in the movement than the old one.  

Good luck getting it sorted. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2017 at 17:00, MoggyTech said:

Gear selector mechanism faulty (Intermittent) It's actually a switch in the unit, but they replace the assembly.

Where is the location of the selector?? My Octavia 3 dsg7 will be going for the replacement next week. Service dept advised me that it will be 5hours job. Do you  have any diagrams to show the location?

Thanks

Edited by wjpluk

39 minutes ago, wjpluk said:

Where is the location of the selector?? My Octavia 3 dsg7 will be going for the replacement next week. Service dept advised me that it will be 5hours job. Do you  have any diagrams to show the location?

Thanks

The replacement part will be the whole selector unit. The fault is a switch within this sealed unit. Not a bad job to do 4x4 is more involved

• 1 month later...

Interesting to hear about a possible recall.

My Leon has been behaving itself for quite a while with no error messages appearing. Of course this doesn't mean the problem has gone away.

My dealer warranty runs out at the end of next month so I'm considering buying a Seat Warranty for £320 which will give me full cover for another 12 months. I reckon that's pretty good value. If there is a recall would it be for all vehicles regardless of whether they are covered by a VAG warranty?

Interesting to hear about a possible recall.

My Leon has been behaving itself for quite a while with no error messages appearing. Of course this doesn't mean the problem has gone away.

My dealer warranty runs out at the end of next month so I'm considering buying a Seat Warranty for £320 which will give me full cover for another 12 months. I reckon that's pretty good value. If there is a recall would it be for all vehicles regardless of whether they are covered by a VAG warranty?

Personally I think a recall would be unlikely given VW Group history on other common and known issues. There have been individual cases of goodwill following part failure, but not much in the way of recalls unless safety is affected. If it was a recall then yes it should cover out of warranty too.

Not sure which Leon you have but that is cheap, is that with no excess for full comprehensive cover?

47 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Personally I think a recall would be unlikely given VW Group history on other common and known issues. There have been individual cases of goodwill following part failure, but not much in the way of recalls unless safety is affected. If it was a recall then yes it should cover out of warranty too.

Not sure which Leon you have but that is cheap, is that with no excess for full comprehensive cover?

It's a Leon ST 1.8FR, MY64.

Yes, no excess and with a mileage limit of 10,000/year.

Have a look here. You may get a similar deal.

https://insurewithskoda.co.uk/extended-warranty/

4 minutes ago, MadeInYorkshire said:

It's a Leon ST 1.8FR, MY64.

Yes, no excess and with a mileage limit of 10,000/year.

Have a look here. You may get a similar deal.

https://insurewithskoda.co.uk/extended-warranty/

I checked this about a year ago when my Approved Used warranty was about to expire; a VRS TSI DSG with <40k on it, with 0 excess and 15k miles per year was around £770 for the year. Mental.

That's why I think the price you have been quoted is cheap/reasonable and for that amount I'd take it for hassle free repairs if something goes wrong.

Edited by ahenners

• 2 weeks later...