Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

21 minutes ago, cblakebrown said:

I have the same issue on a 2015 VW Golf. Bought it used but it’s still eligible for Powertrain warranty? Is this covered under Powertrain?

Is the vehicle still within 3 years? You might get it done anyway as it is a very common issue

My Wife's 65 plate Polo GTI has just gone in for this today.  Still within warranty thankfully.

Local VW said they've 'never seen this before'. Yeah right :thinking:

Gaz

IMG_0945.jpg

Edited by V6TDI

1 hour ago, V6TDI said:

My Wife's 65 plate Polo GTI has just gone in for this today.  Still within warranty thankfully.

Local VW said they've 'never seen this before'. Yeah right :thinking:

Gaz

Haha lol we have seen more than a few of these at our garage!

1 hour ago, VAGGAZ said:

Is the vehicle still within 3 years? You might get it done anyway as it is a very common issue

I’m not sure. It’s a 2015 model I bought used. It has 45k miles and the Powertrain is covered until 65k. I have no other warranties. 

I just had this exact issue fixed under warranty by Marshall Skoda Reading.  My car is a 65 plate vRS with 33k on the clock.

The weird error message had flashed up briefly twice in the space of a month, and I pulled the following VCDS fault code to confirm:

617752 - Selector Lever Park Position Lock Switch 
          B1162 29 [024] - Signal Implausible

The technician I spoke to about it reassured me that they'd seen a few cars with this issue now.  The work sheet simply says "Replacement of the selector lever due to internal defect", at a cost of £762.85.

6 hours ago, jaygemson said:

I just had this exact issue fixed under warranty by Marshall Skoda Reading.  My car is a 65 plate vRS with 33k on the clock.

The weird error message had flashed up briefly twice in the space of a month, and I pulled the following VCDS fault code to confirm:

B1162 29 [024] - Signal Implausible

The technician I spoke to about it reassured me that they'd seen a few cars with this issue now.  The work sheet simply says "Replacement of the selector lever due to internal defect", at a cost of £762.85.

Ouch, for a gearstick!  

I had mine down under warranty. I’m guessing labour makes up a decent proportion of that. 

I bought an Octavia VRS DSG last week and when the Skoda dealer sent me the video of the car doing a walk around this error was up. He said "one of the tech lads thinks it's a faulty sensor" and when I arrived to collect the car the fault had gone.

I'm certain they haven't replaced the assembly sand just a sensor, so do you think this is likely to be a sufficient fix or reckon it will come back?

3 hours ago, Camble said:

I bought an Octavia VRS DSG last week and when the Skoda dealer sent me the video of the car doing a walk around this error was up. He said "one of the tech lads thinks it's a faulty sensor" and when I arrived to collect the car the fault had gone.

I'm certain they haven't replaced the assembly sand just a sensor, so do you think this is likely to be a sufficient fix or reckon it will come back?

In a word, no. 

This is a recurring error which slowly appears more regularly until you need to change the gearshift assembly. 

Show them this thread. 

1 hour ago, dunc69 said:

In a word, no. 

This is a recurring error which slowly appears more regularly until you need to change the gearshift assembly. 

Show them this thread. 

Cheers mate. So ideally I want it to come up again so I can get it done under warranty.

34 minutes ago, Camble said:

Cheers mate. So ideally I want it to come up again so I can get it done under warranty.

Yes, but it is a short-lived message so unlikely your dealer will see it. Don’t think it throws up an error message. 

You need to tell them what you have seen, tell them you know it’s a well-known problem, and insist they deal with it. Somewhere in this thread or the other related thread, there is an error no. / code. 

15 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Yes, but it is a short-lived message so unlikely your dealer will see it. Don’t think it throws up an error message. 

You need to tell them what you have seen, tell them you know it’s a well-known problem, and insist they deal with it. Somewhere in this thread or the other related thread, there is an error no. / code. 

Cheers mate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2017 at 13:42, dunc69 said:

There is another thread on this. 

The fix is a new DSG gearshift assembly. 

I had mine replaced under warranty. 

This is a known VW / Skoda issue and my dealership found a TPI relating to it once I had pushed them & suggested I would call Skoda UK. 

See also:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18199&page=4

VCDS should show:

Address 16: Steering wheel 

1 Fault Found:

B1162 29 [008] - Signal Implausible. 

This should trigger the dealer to replace the gear shift mechanism. 

Good luck! 

Hi Dunc69,

So, I've been having this problem since I bought the car a month or so ago. Bought a used 2015 GTI DSG.

The message is random and I think that's the main problem here as to having mechanics, VW servicemen, etc...justifying the problem. Who's VCDS btw?

So far, I've taken it to a 3rd party bodyshop that are supposed experts in German cars and to VW and to the dealership at Mazda/Ford to replicate the error.  

The 3rd party dealership saw the message error happen several times, while others they never saw it. And the 3rd party dealership then tried to look for the code and it never shows up...therefore no one knows what to look for.

How in the world did the dealership that you took your car in to found the error??

Thanks a bunch!

Ted Lim

7 minutes ago, TelvisVW said:

Hi Dunc69,

So, I've been having this problem since I bought the car a month or so ago. Bought a used 2015 GTI DSG.

The message is random and I think that's the main problem here as to having mechanics, VW servicemen, etc...justifying the problem. Who's VCDS btw?

So far, I've taken it to a 3rd party bodyshop that are supposed experts in German cars and to VW and to the dealership at Mazda/Ford to replicate the error.  

The 3rd party dealership saw the message error happen several times, while others they never saw it. And the 3rd party dealership then tried to look for the code and it never shows up...therefore no one knows what to look for.

How in the world did the dealership that you took your car in to found the error??

Thanks a bunch!

Ted Lim

Hi

VCDS is a scan tool used in the aftermarket and is specific to VAG vehicles and is pretty much as good as (I think better than) the dealer tool.

Once the fault has displayed it should store a code, same as above.

This code pretty much means the car need a new shift assembly and we have seen this a lot and always now go straight for this and have had no issues once replaced.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, VAGGAZ said:

Hi

VCDS is a scan tool used in the aftermarket and is specific to VAG vehicles and is pretty much as good as (I think better than) the dealer tool.

Once the fault has displayed it should store a code, same as above.

This code pretty much means the car need a new shift assembly and we have seen this a lot and always now go straight for this and have had no issues once replaced.

Hi, Wow, thats very interesting. Thank you so much for that speedy response.

I'll ask about what tool they may be using. However, I'm sure they're not using that tool because they claim that they don't see the code.

I guess that's the only way to prove that the code exists..

Thank you,

Ted

I scanned my car using a generic OBD2 reader and it couldn’t see any fault codes. Plugged in my VCDS cable and boom, there it was! Printed it off to show the dealer, along with a photo of the error from the Maxidot display, and they knew exactly what the issue was. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jaygemson said:

I scanned my car using a generic OBD2 reader and it couldn’t see any fault codes. Plugged in my VCDS cable and boom, there it was! Printed it off to show the dealer, along with a photo of the error from the Maxidot display, and they knew exactly what the issue was. 

Thank you Gentlemen! This is really good info! Hope I can post some answers in the future to this group. Glad I joined..and Glad I'm now a 1st time owner of a VW.

@TelvisVW

I said to my dealer, “this is a known fault, I know you can’t see a fault code, but why would I waste my time coming to you otherwise?  My car has this fault, I am within warranty and you guys need to fix it. Otherwise I will keep coming back here until you agree to help.”

They then agreed (finally) that this was a known issue and changed the gear shift assembly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dunc69 said:

@TelvisVW

I said to my dealer, “this is a known fault, I know you can’t see a fault code, but why would I waste my time coming to you otherwise?  My car has this fault, I am within warranty and you guys need to fix it. Otherwise I will keep coming back here until you agree to help.”

They then agreed (finally) that this was a known issue and changed the gear shift assembly. 

Ah! The good ol' threatening methodology. I'm pretty good that too....sometimes...lol

Thank you sir.