Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

5 hours ago, V6TDI said:

Error message just flashed up on mine today.  Bugger :sadsmile:

Gaz

It should be sorted for free. Fight for that. It’s a well-known error! 

As as an aside, my 2014 vRS DSG is having another new DSG lever on Tuesday due to chrome delamination just above the press-in button / switch. 

First the error message (under warranty), now delamination (out of warranty but thankfully covered). Third gear lever in 4 1/2 years! 

7 hours ago, dunc69 said:

As as an aside, my 2014 vRS DSG is having another new DSG lever on Tuesday due to chrome delamination just above the press-in button / switch. 

First the error message (under warranty), now delamination (out of warranty but thankfully covered). Third gear lever in 4 1/2 years! 

Yes I'm on No3

First one delamination, second one error message.

Lee

18 hours ago, dunc69 said:

Thanks Dunc.  the car's out of warranty and my local Skoda don't want to know about anything warranty, or goodwill, because of the remap.

Gaz

39 minutes ago, V6TDI said:

Thanks Dunc.  the car's out of warranty and my local Skoda don't want to know about anything warranty, or goodwill, because of the remap.

Gaz

The gear lever error is nothing to do with the remap though. Loads of us (and Golfs and Seats) have had the same without a map. 

It’s a glitch relating to a failed / failing sensor. That’s all. 

Push for Skoda to sort it. Ring customer services if no joy locally!

Good luck! 

Something tells me I won’t be the first person to ask this question, but...hasn’t Skoda sorted a fix for this old chestnut yet?!

• 3 weeks later...

I had this error pop up today for the first time on my now 4 month old Fabia. So it’s clearly not sorted by the vw group yet. 

For me though the problem was even worse. As while this error was being displayed, I could not lock the car. 

The remote, the button on the door (keyless entry) and the physical key slot in the door all refused to allow me

to lock the car. 

For now the message has gone and the car is behaving as if nothing happened. 

When it it happens again as I’m sure it will, I’ll try to get a pic of the display and go to my dealer. 

Will be a a warranty issue no doubt. But still a hassle on a brand new car with less than 5000km on it. 

I will I’ll keep this updated. 

Jason. 

Edited by Jason_M

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I just joined the forum to comment on this thread. ALL Seat Toledo's including mine plus Leon's, Octavia's, and Rapid's WILL get this error at some point. All these cars have the 1.6 MPI 6 speed tiptronic power and drive train. I think even the new Tiguan probably have it too, although different drive train.

Here in Egypt we have the worst customer service in the world so that's that. Regarding VW group from what I have seen they don't give a **** about customers, you send them complaining from the local dealership they reply go solve it with them.

Yes the error appears in many forms. "Gearbox error", "Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p", and "gearbox in emergency mode you can drive on" all appear randomly with the yellow warning.

The most common is the second message appearing for a second at first then reaching the point it will stay until you turn off the car and turn on again a couple of times to clear. 

That said the car drives completely normally no effect on performance whatsoever. That's why a lot of people don't take it seriously. Until there is an actual problem with the gearbox and you disregard it and you get screwed.

My car changed the whole selector mechanism TWICE under warranty (cost of piece only from VW to dealer is nearly 2000 $) with a lot of hassle and recently it started to show the message again, once till now so I guess it will need to get changed a third time !!!

So here are the scenarios I have come to:

1- selector mechanism was not the problem in the first place.

2- there is also another problem not known.

3- the replacement selectors are also defective.

4- official dealers can't install properly.

5- they don't replace to begin with and lie about it.

6-the repair is very expensive and/or a lot of hassle they won't recall and will offer extended warranty for this part only and we have to accept it.

You don't get this when you buy Japanese I guess !

20190202_120528.jpg

• 2 months later...

Any remote possibility of Skoda doing this FOC on a 2015 car who's Skoda warranty expired in October, a week before I bought it? Under 30k miles and got the dreaded "Error workshop, leave in P" message.

How did anyone else get on with no warranty?

Nick

1 hour ago, NikTheGeek said:

Any remote possibility of Skoda doing this FOC on a 2015 car who's Skoda warranty expired in October, a week before I bought it? Under 30k miles and got the dreaded "Error workshop, leave in P" message.

How did anyone else get on with no warranty?

Nick

Nick, it is a well-known fault.  You stand a better chance if it has always been serviced by Skoda (rightly or wrongly) and if sold to you by a Skoda garage, you should be covered! 

Hi all. 

an update for my car. 

The dealer has has had the car for 3 days now. They are replacing the shifter mech under the warranty. 

I am am supposedly going to be able to collect the car in another day or 2. 

In in the mean time they gave me a Kia picanto. Boy it makes me appreciate the fabia heaps. 

I will update again once I collect the car. 

As as for a non warranty replacement, as stated above, if the car was always serviced with a Skoda dealer, you have a much better chance of a replacement. Or at least a partial where they might supply the part and you pay for the fitment. 

Jason. 

PS.

i finally got a pic of the error. 

So even though it’s a known issue, I have added it here anyway. For anyone else in future that might have the same error. 

13C0C44E-DA36-44A8-B4AB-0F14CA92575A.jpeg

Edited by Jason_M

Got the car back today after the dealer had it for 5 days. 

They replaced the shifter mech as suspected. 

Hopefully the issue doesn’t return. 

Jason. 

5ECC574D-D7F4-4F56-BB48-0277593458EA.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a 2017 Fabia with 27k km on the meter. Had the error 4 times, can't lock the doors when the fault is present so I've had the car towed to the workshop every single time. The gear stick mechanism has been replaced 3 times and now the car is in for the fourth time.

Replacing the mechanism clearly doesn't solve the problem as it always comes back after a while (last time was February this year and now having the same problem again).

Trying to get the car returned to dealer and the lease plan terminated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2019 at 18:26, dunc69 said:

It’s a glitch relating to a failed / failing sensor. That’s all. 

Is this true i.e. can I live with it? Any idea on cost to get it fixed?

On 12/04/2019 at 22:54, Jason_M said:

Hi all. 

an update for my car. 

The dealer has has had the car for 3 days now. They are replacing the shifter mech under the warranty. 

I am am supposedly going to be able to collect the car in another day or 2. 

In in the mean time they gave me a Kia picanto. Boy it makes me appreciate the fabia heaps. 

I will update again once I collect the car. 

As as for a non warranty replacement, as stated above, if the car was always serviced with a Skoda dealer, you have a much better chance of a replacement. Or at least a partial where they might supply the part and you pay for the fitment. 

Jason. 

PS.

i finally got a pic of the error. 

So even though it’s a known issue, I have added it here anyway. For anyone else in future that might have the same error. 

13C0C44E-DA36-44A8-B4AB-0F14CA92575A.jpeg

That's the problem. How much to fix? Or is it just a twitchy sensor?

I've just had mine done yesterday at Plymouth Skoda. £930 and a free scratch on the coin/phone storage cover. Which they are now going to replace.

Interestingly, the gear shift is much easier or rather less stiff than it was with the new mechanism, so I can tell it's been changed.

Thank goodness I got a warranty. But with my Ford Protect warranty (as the car came from a Ford garage) I had to pay up front and then claim it back. But it's a really good warranty, even the DPF is covered.

Nick

The Finnish Skoda told my dealer the failing mechanism is a known issue and Skoda Czech had told them a new revised part will be out by the end of the year. The new part should have the problems solved.

I'm not going to wait for the new part as I'm in the process of getting rid of the Fabia. It's a shame as it's a nice car to drive, but I just can't deal with the extremely bad quality of it.

Good to hear there might be a new updated part. As the error Reappeared on mine for a few seconds the other day. 

I havent been back back to the dealer as yet. If it returns as I’m sure it will, I’ll have to go back again. 

Jason. 

My first lever didn't have any faults but the chrome was flaking off.

I had a brand new replacement and within a month I had the error message so even brand new levers can carry the issue.

So I had the lever changed again.

1 hour ago, Matthew48 said:

Sounds to me like I should be ignoring this until Skoda bring out the part then?

If you don't mind having your car doors unlocked when the fault is on... At least on my car that's the case.

1 hour ago, teraja said:

If you don't mind having your car doors unlocked when the fault is on... At least on my car that's the case.

That’s the case for me also. 

Slightly astounded and dissapointed that this known fault isn't covered by an out-of-warranty-oops-we-fcked-up free replacement - since its a well known problem.

7 minutes ago, Jono said:

Slightly astounded and dissapointed that this known fault isn't covered by an out-of-warranty-oops-we-fcked-up free replacement - since its a well known problem.

That's just the normal VAG way of dealing with problems. Just like the oil consumption problem with older 2.0T engine, cam chain issues with 1.4TSI, issues with earlier DSG7 gearbox, the list is long.

This Skoda will be the last I'm going to own simply because they can't take responsibility of these kind of problems without a fight. Every car brand has their problems but many of them deal with problems more customer centric - I've been checking Mercedes C-Class as they are known for taking care of their customers.

17 hours ago, Jason_M said:

That’s the case for me also. 

I don't follow. The message comes on when I'm driving. Are you saying the doors are unlocked for that brief second I see the message?